*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368376-Entitled-to-a-friend
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#368376 added August 24, 2005 at 5:07am
Restrictions: None
Entitled to a friend
So, I've done a lot of wandering in the past few days. I did not miss the whine of my trusty beige Think-box. Despite the high gas prices (and I saw some that were ridiculous), I had places to go and things to see before my last few vacation days became a memory. By Sunday, I can probably write about anything worth recording, but for now, I'm thinking about something else. Something that draws me away already from the thoughts that came to me as I enjoyed the freedom of the open road.

I've decided to miss my high school reunion. My sister's was apparently cancelled. I assume it was a lack of interest. I believe high school reunions, just like many other things based almost entirely on tradition, are being discarded. Is this a good thing, or not? What does it really indicate? My grandmother's small town high school was still hosting a reunion sixty years after her class' graduation. Now, we are in the twenty-first century and my mother's forty year reunion, my twenty year reunion and my sister's ten year reunion are potential question marks.

A deep need I have (and have always had, probably) is the bond of friendship. I could clinically be a stalker; it's a little overpowering sometimes to crave knowledge about someone else's life. What I hold in common with another person, and maintaining that connection can be very important to me. It seems like a hollow statement even as I write it, however - I do not pick up the phone often enough or write a simple letter to keep my side of a friendship up.

Despite this, I sense that I harbor an entitlement to having a friend. I'm sure that's the same square on the game board that stalkers start at. I don't really believe I'm a danger to anyone. Certainly no one ever sees me as a danger. It probably helps that I'm married with children. I can still imagine how easy it is for a person to march off the path and make a bee line for a favorite celebrity.

When I discovered this topic in my head this morning, I thought, "Ah, I finally have something to plop into my blog." The energy behind the thought is already ebbing, however. Yes, it is two in the morning, but this is supposed to be my normal time to be awake. It may be a little hard to flip back to the work schedule today.

© Copyright 2005 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368376-Entitled-to-a-friend