*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368614-Chapter-3
by Mimz
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fanfiction · #1004790
This is Star Wars fanfiction. What if Anakin's mother never died? Spoiler warning.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#368614 added August 25, 2005 at 11:28am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3
The day after he refused to tell Padme of his assignment, Anakin presented himself to Darth Sidious.

"I see that you are back, my young apprentice," said Sidious, an evil gleam in his eye.

"Yes, Master," said Anakin, returning the look. "The assignment went well. I trust that you know already?"

"Indead, my apprentice. I am proud of you. You learn quickly."

"Thank you, Master."

Sidious drew closer to Anakin, and Anakin could feel his malevolent energy even more. "I sense worry in you, Anakin."

How did Sidious always manage to know what Anakin was thinking? Anakin was annoyed with himself for failing to hide his emotions once again. "I was only wondering, Master..."

"What?" said Sidious sharply. Surely he's not regretting his choice, thought the Sith Lord.

"Only that...Master, I want to learn! Padme is due soon...I must save her!" A powerful current of the Force lashed out from Anakin as he said this. His eyes gleamed orange, and Darth Sidious could feel his raw Dark energy, just waiting to be honed, trained...used, thought the Sith.

"Patience, my apprentice. You musn't be so rash. The powers you so desire are...dangerous."

"Patience is the Jedi way!"

Sidious leered. "How many times have I told you that Jedi and Sith are similar in almost every way...but one. You needn't worry about being too like the Jedi." Not with that selfishness, he added silently.

"But Master..." Anakin whined. So immature, thought Sidious. Immature and arrogant. Perfect.

"Listen to me, Anakin," said Sidious. "I promise you, you will learn this power. It just takes time. Together, we will save Padme and we will all rule the Galaxy together.

Anakin lifted his devilish eyes and looked at Sidious.

"Now go, my young apprentice." Anakin looked doubtful, but Sidious urged him on. "Go, and remember: we will succeed. We will forge a relationship as Master and apprentice..."

Anakin bowed and left.

"...and maybe even more than that." Sidious glared malevolently at the door, a smirk on his face, then turned and retreated to his chambers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cliegg Lars found his wife in their bedroom, throwing things into a suitcase.

He frowned. What is the doing? he thought. Shmi noticed Cliegg and nervously jumped up, knocking most of the things stacked on the bed to the floor.

"Shmi..." Cliegg started to say, but she cut him off.

"I'm sorry, Cliegg," said Shmi. "But I can't stay here. Ani is in trouble, and I must go to him."

"But...how can you possibly get to Coruscant?"

"I saved what little money I could from selling some of the vegetables I grow. Just enough for a ticket to Coruscant."

"But what about going back..."

"I'm sure Ani will pay for my ticket back. He will be delighted to see me. And I must find out what is troubling him and help. I can't bear to lose my son, Cliegg!"

Cliegg could see the agitation in her voice, on her face. She was as devoted a mother as could be, even spending all the little money she had to travel across the galaxy to her son. However, he was still doubtful of the whole situation. "But...how do you know he's in trouble?"

"I just can."

Cliegg raised an eyebrow.

"No, not like a Jedi...It's a maternal thing."

"All right, but how do you know he didn't just have a stressful day?"

"I know."

She clearly wasn't going to discuss the matter further, so Cliegg let it go. However, he still wasn't thrilled about letting his wife travel so far away, when she had never travelled at all. He started to say something, but Shmi stopped him again.

"Look, please don't worry about me. If you must worry, worry about Ani. Please understand that I must do this. If I don't, I'll never forgive myself."

Cliegg decided not to say anything else. He nodded to acknowledge this, and turned to leave.

"Cliegg..." Cliegg turned. "I love you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Padme stood in her apartment, at the window. Images of Anakin flashed through her mind as if someone had turned on a holographic projector...Anakin as a little boy, sitting in Watto's shop and saying, "I'm a person! My name is Anakin." Anakin as a Padawan, with her on the meadow in Naboo...riding that ridiculous beast and falling off, pretending to be unconscious, only to make a face at her as she comes up to him. Anakin just several months ago, returning from the Outer Rim and running up to her, holding her...joyful at her news of the pregnancy. Anakin looking away, ashamed not to answer her question.

Hot tears sprang to her eyes from nowhere. Where had the happy, playful Ani gone? Who was this imposter? Padme left her spot by the window and went to her desk. In one of the drawers, she found a holo of her and Anakin together in Naboo. She realized how different he looked-in the holo he looked healthy, robust-but now he was pale and drawn.

Suddenly the door opened and Anakin rushed into their apartment.

Padme's face brightened. "Ani!" she cried out and rushed forward.

But Anakin barely noticed her. He grabbed a datacard and a datapad and was about to rush back out the door when he saw her, disapointed and unbelieving.

"Ani..." she said, not sounding nearly as excited as she had a moment ago.

"Not now, Padme," said Anakin. "Another time."

Without another word, he rushed out the door. It slowly slid shut behind him.

Padme stood for several moments, stupefied. Since when did Anakin not have time for her? She collapsed in tears and crumpled to the floor.


Mimz

Please visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/shrewdcat
© Copyright 2005 Mimz (UN: shrewdcat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mimz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368614-Chapter-3