*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/373254-The-Great-Okra-Divide
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #994563
No purchase necessary.
#373254 added September 16, 2005 at 10:55am
Restrictions: None
The Great Okra Divide
For at least 3 years now our household has had the rule....If it's cooked for dinner, you must try it. That's the rule. That has been the rule and we have yet to change the rule. Rules are rules, right?

Earlier this week we had pork chops, mashed potatoes and okra. I didn't buy the okra; a friend gave it to me. That night there was a big blow out cause Zach was complaining about having to eat 1 piece of okra. Did you hear me? One damn piece! Both kids were complaining about some aspect of the dinner and I blew my lid. I told them that I worked hard to make this dinner and I didn't want any fucking lip about what was cooked. If they didn't like it, they could meet up at 6:00 p.m. in the kitchen and cook dinner their fucking selves. For 4 nights, nobody showed up. Last night I made dinner and we had the okra leftovers.

Little did I know, while I was in the kitchen cooking, Zoo was in the garage telling Zach he didn't have to eat any okra. No discussion with me. No amendment to the rules was mulled over. Just plain ol undermining my authority. Once we were seated at the table and the food was served the shit hit the fan. Zoo and I hardly ever argue and never in front of the kids. Not so, last night.

It was horrible. Zoo thinks it's a stupid rule and that I'm just talking out or my ass. He thinks it a battle of wills between Zach and me. Stephanie thinks we are going to get a divorce and Zach doesn't know what to think. I think everybody should just eat the fucking okra and shut the hell up. Maybe I'm childish and maybe I'm old fashioned but for the love of God........stop complaining! Stop making a big deal about it. Stop changing the set rules! STOP STOP STOP!!!

After all is said and done, I feel like shit. My ass hurts from all its talking and it's really minor compared to all the other problems in this world.

Zoo is wise and maybe I should just let him make the rules and change them to his liking. Whatever is easiest and makes things run smoothly, right? I'm not sure I will ever eat okra again. Then again, I might make it every night for dinner.

-Marv-

© Copyright 2005 -- Marv -- (UN: marv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
-- Marv -- has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/373254-The-Great-Okra-Divide