*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/373456-chapter-1
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #1012075
The charges, trial and conviction of a young mother.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#373456 added September 17, 2005 at 11:54am
Restrictions: None
chapter 1
Chapter one
The beginning of the Nightmare


The nightmare begins in March of 1992 in Ottawa County Michigan. Kim goes to Florida with her friend Jeff. She leaves her daughter Amber with Amber’s teacher Julie, and her son Brandon with his father Dale at her house. Dale had been living in Kim’s house for a couple months because he was looking for work. Amber was with Julie because she was in a wheelchair and Julie could take care of her better than Dale. Amber was comfortable with Julie as she had spent many weekends with her, and she was with her every day in school. Kim called home every night to speak with Brandon. He wasn’t very talkative, and she thought it was because he missed her and was angry with her for leaving him with Dale. After all, Brandon was only 5 and until Dale had moved in a couple months before, Brandon hadn’t spent much time with him. The last time Dale had Brandon was over a year ago. So Kim decided to come home early. When she comes through the front door Dale is standing there with a strange look on his face, “we need to talk” he says to Kim. Her response is “I haven’t done anything wrong”. Kim thinks Dale is referring to her coming home early. She has no idea that he intends to use her statement against her at a later date.


A couple days after her return home a detective shows up at her door. He identified himself as Officer Hopkins and that he was there to inform her that her children would be in the custody of the Ottawa County Protective Services unit and probably placed in temporary foster care. Kim let him know she was already aware of this because she already spoke with Carol of the O.C.P.S unit. Kim handed the telephone to Officer Hopkins and he spoke with Carol who stated she advised Kim of the custody of her children and that there was a hearing at 4:00p.m on March 6,1992 and Kim had her right to appear but did not have to be present. Kim was attempting to obtain a ride to the hearing. Officer Hopkins informed Kim of the alleged accusations of sexual abuse and that there was ahearing at 4p.m. in Grand Haven and she said that she knew this and was attempting to get a ride. Officer Hopkins advised Kim that she was not under arrest nor in police custody and she could leave at any time she wanted to. She stated she wanted to get to Grand Haven but did not have a ride. Officer Hopkins also advised Kim that there was talk of a dildo that she might have and she immediately informed me that she owned a didlo and it was for her own personal use. Before he could ask Kim’s permission to search for the dildo Kim went into the bedroom and pulled out the dildo wrapped in a washcloth from her dresser drawer. She gave it to Hopkins, and he told her she didn’t have to give it to him. She again stated that it was for her own personal use as she did not want guys around her kids in the home and that she was separated or divorced from her husband for approximately 3 years.

While Kim was on the telephone trying to get a ride, Dale showed up in the front yard. Kim went out the front door and pointed her finger at him saying “You’re dead, why did you do this to me?” she then turned around and went back inside and slammed the door. Hopkins told Dale to leave. A short while later Dale and another man came back. The other man was Tom and he was a supervisor of the O.C.P.S unit. Tom explained again to Kim about the hearing and stated if she was going he would contact the court and have them delay the hearing until she got there. As she was telling Tom she was still looking for a ride, a friend of hers showed up. Gary took her to the hearing.

Dale did not show up for the hearing, but Kim did. At the hearing a petition was authorized to place the children into temporary foster care until P.S could investigate this case.

On March 13,1992 Hopkins contacted Kim and requested she come in for an interview. He stated he would like to get her side of the story. She stated she would contact her attorney and they would call Hopkins and let him know about the interview. Hopkins ran a criminal check on Kim and it came back with a report that Kim had a bench warrant out on her. He then contacted Holland Police Department and asked that she be picked up.

On march 16 Hopkins stopped by Kims house to ask if she planned on coming in for the interview. She was there with a friend Jeff. Kim informed Hodge that her attorney called him on Friday but he was not in, he did not leave any message. An officer showed up at Kim’s house and Hopkins informed Kim that there was a warrant for her arrest for failure to appear, she was taken into custody and arraigned in the 58th district court. She was held without bond and transported to the Ottawa county jail.

On March 18 a warrant was authorized and issued for two counts of CSC for Kim. She was to be brought down from the Ottawa County jail and arraigned on the charges on March 20, 1992.
© Copyright 2005 lynne6871 (UN: lynne6871 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
lynne6871 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/373456-chapter-1