*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/376473-Chapter-VII
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #944515
Three colleagues make a perilous journey which brings real life and legend hand in hand.
#376473 added September 30, 2005 at 7:03pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter VII
“What the…” Karish woke with a start; the nightmare had seemed so livid moments ago now fading like mist during a cold dawn sunrise. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, it was bright out, most likely noon; they had slept a long time. Valia, the thought came to her like a torrential downpour, she quickly turned to evaluate Valias condition, surprise and relief flooding her mind; Valia, sat quietly cross legged on her mat, gently caressing the perfect pink rose in her hands, she looked back, smiling faintly bringing the rose to her face to smell deeply.

“What happened,” she asked quietly.

Shaking her head in disbelief, “I don’t know; you ghosted and we brought you back here. Do you want to talk about it?”

Valia nodded, speaking quietly Saeran still sleeping next to her. “We had checked all the doors down the hallway, you and Deiondre were coming quickly, once you turned the corner the fun would be over. We ran up to the last door in the hallway and I touched it, before I knew it this black sticky cold liquid reached out and enfolded my mind and body, I couldn’t stop it, it was terrifying, everything went black.” Valia paused, a tremble in her voice, face flush with reminiscence. “I was floating in a black void when this rose appeared in my hands; it’s warmth, life and color was so amazing, the black seemed to be drawn into the rose, disappearing like it was never there, then I woke here holding this. I don’t know what is in that room, but it felt like death.” Nothing but death Valia thought to herself, nothing but death. I can’t fight something that strong nor will I be able to protect them from it either, Valia continued reminiscing, a shiver moving down her spine in the noonday heat.

Saeran rolled over stretching, “Valia! You’re back with us, thank god you scared the life out of me,” she stopped cut short by the appearance of Deiondre boyish head in the doorway.

“Your all right, I was concerned.” He rolled right through the flap, strolling casually over to the women and sitting across from them. “Pardon me, is it alright if I sit here?”

“Sure, if you give us the no bull story behind what you know about that temple.” Karish smirked, distrustful of his intentions, he had almost got one of them killed last night, round number two was not going to happen if she could help it.

Deiondres smile disappeared, “only if you tell me what you found behind that door first.”

Who does he think he is, Karish mused, two can play at this game but only one of us will win. “No,” she said with certain finality in her voice.

“Very well, remember when I said terrible and beautiful things were created and destroyed in that temple, I believe that room holds something terrible. Keep in mind, all the information I have comes from times gone by still no more exact than a fairy-tale told around a fire.” He shrugged.

“You know nothing else of this?” Karish said vehemently. “Magic is gone from the world of mortal man yet this temple is nothing but magic. I know you look for something. I know you haven’t found it yet. I also know that you would utilize us as pawns given the chance to find what you haven’t.” Karish stared down her nose at Deiondre. “Your turn, “ anger flared in her voice, eyes flashing like lightning; Deiondre shrunk back surprised at her furry. Inside she was calm and collected, working her next move.

“I have done no such thing, you came here and lied to me first,” a false look of shock appeared on his face. He didn’t intend to have a face down with a woman capable of handling a knife the way she could. He didn’t need to alienate her now when he was so close; he needed to toss out the bait. “Fine, I look for a book, nothing more nothing less, a book of histories on the temple and the old race.” This was only a partial lie; they didn’t need to know the whole story yet. They didn’t know the book held spells and magic long lost or control over creatures that currently walked this land, creatures’ black as night, shadows that come and go, unstoppable killing machines that require no care. Control over such power would make a clan unconquerable, this book would make him and his own invincible. “Lets not get bogged down in what was said before,” his voice was silky smooth again, composure pulled over his countenance like a sheet on a bed. “I’m sorry for any misconceptions, no more half baked lies. Now what about that door?”

“Evil, death, pestilence, anything that walks the road of the reaper is behind that door. It had no form to me, only black and menacing shutting my mind and body from the light. I will guarantee there is no book in there.” Valia finished looking intently at Deiondre.

“I would have guessed as much, but I need to go back, tonight, to find the book anyways. What I didn’t have a chance to tell you is that we are the only ones with the knowledge to open the doors. Those of my clan exploring the temple will find the secret to the doors soon and then nothing is sacred, they will loot all that sits in that temple. They will then encounter the reaper, something a lot more menacing will roam this land, killing all they encounter, what will you do then?” He asked rhetorically.

“No thank you,” said Karish tossing Deiondre enough coin to pay for a weeks worth of boarding.

“What? You can’t.” He hadn’t expected this response.

“Yes we can and you may leave now.” Fingering the edge of her blade strapped to her boot, looking intently his way, his sign to depart.

He left in a flurry of cloth, infuriated he didn’t have the time to try to argue his point or try to convince them to help, those studying the temple now were apt to discover how to open the doors and then all hell would break loose. They didn’t understand, the creature down there would hunt without inhibition, it could not be killed, and it could not be stopped if the legends were true. With the book he would be able to control the creature, possibly he would become the next creator in the process. He relished the thought of magic coursing through his veins like a drug. Snatching his mounts reigns, he mounted moving fast towards the city center and the temple.

“I don’t trust him and there is no benefit to staying here another night. Lets get this trip over with. Karish pointed to their wares, “we trade these today, when night rolls around we take one last trip to the temple, pull some of the items out, only those items that can be carried. We take one trip in and one trip out.” They moved with practiced ease, packed and riding within the hour.

They arrived in town, “Valia, Saeran start your purchasing here don’t leave this area, I will return in two hours time with men, the wagon, and horses to load any items purchased.”

“Lets go Valia,” Saeran turned, making her way gingerly towards the gold and jewels of the desert.

Karish approached the man under the lean to, he looked like a statue warned away unmercifully by the blasting sand until only a warn husk remained, looking so much like the temple walls they had passed through the day before.

He looked up his eyes brightening with recognition at her approach. “My lady your crew, wagon, and horses are awaiting your order.” The man bowed low, Karish had supplied good money and if he were lucky she would continue to purchase items from his meager possessions.

“Thank you good Sir, how soon can they move?”

“Within the hour my lady, come over drink, sit in the shade, it is hot this afternoon.”

She dismounted, bowed and sat next to the man; he reeked of sweat and alcohol, he was middle class; his clothing, the wood items he sold, the men he employed said as much. Most of the items probably stolen by one man after slaughtering another then brought here for a quick sale. No one would ask where the items came from; everything sold here was imported by someone else. The hour rolled by slowly, the heat building as the sun rolled like a fireball over the mountainous light blue cloudless sky, the wind sluggish and painfully warm. She watched the team come together, piece by piece like a jigsaw puzzle with too few pieces. She had purchased two men, two horses, and a wagon; all money placed up front, she would have to pay nothing upon release, except a tip for a job well done if she felt like it. Things were coming to a completion, the hour almost up, she was ready to depart, the day slipping away like a snake back to its hole in the cold of evening.


Finished he walked back to the woman in white with the two men who had prepared the entourage. ”Dar and Arad are brothers of the Toubot clan, they are prepared to serve you with their life.” He bowed yet again, low, nearly to the ground the men behind him idly swatting flies away. Rough men, veterans of the road, black beards trimmed short, broad shoulders with stout arms thick as small tree trunks, short daggers strapped to each of their wastes, long broad sword slung loosely across their backs. Karish could see several other weapons on each man not readily identifiable to the untrained eye.

“Thank you again good sir, it’s time to take my leave the day grows long.” She quickly handed over a few extra coins for his courtesy and timeliness. Hastily he snatched them out of her hand nodded to the two men and returned to the lean to, to wait for the next customer. Dar mounted his own horse; Arad tied his mount to the rear of the wagon then took his seat at the head as its driver they were prepared to depart.

Karish mounted, riding over to where the two men sat, “I have paid for your competency and discrepancy. First we go to the city center to pick up my wares,” she emphasized her ownership of the items, “then the temple. We depart Shirak late into the evening for the mountains.” She paused, there would be no misunderstanding with these men, misunderstandings led to death and theft; both men nodded, catching every word as if they had said and thought it themselves. “If you disappoint me the price will be high,” she expertly flipped her knife out, long razor sharp blade glinting in the sunlight, a blade that could easily slice a man from belly to throat with little effort. They nodded in unison admiration and respect flashing brightly in their eyes they liked this woman already.

They departed for the city, Karish in the lead the men talking amongst themselves in their own guttural language; it didn’t take long to reach the city center. Valia was wrapping up the sale on an aquamarine colored crystalline silver necklace the length of her arm; Saeran was several venders up haggling for a gold ring inlaid with silver adorned with a jade stone the size of a woman thumbnail. They had made good their time in the city center. Valia finished haggling, quickly made her way over to where Karish was waiting, success written within her quirky smile.

“I have the wagon and men,” she nodded over her shoulder at the two men causally sitting there.

Valia nodded, pointed at the two men, “you two follow me.” Turned and made her way towards the third vendor in the row wagon right behind; the items she had purchased were packed and ready for pick up. Valia grabbed the first package thanked the vender, then handed the package over to the men who packed the items professionally in order to prevent breakage or loss during transport.

When Valia finished, Saeran took over; the wagon filled quickly, the men working proficiently, tirelessly; jewelry, rugs, vases, and spices all placed in meticulously to try to fit in one more piece. Wagons full Dar and Arad followed the women out of the city center, the center disappearing in the distance, the temple pushing itself into sight; the sun stretching the last of its rays to the horizon enfolding the temple in loving golden hands, hanging on to a few more moments of life before the shadow of night fell. The time would be upon them when entrance into the temple would be imminent; stopping just outside the maze they waited till the last of the suns rays disappeared over the horizon. Karish signaled the men to stay and watch, a subtle movement of her hand then she was moving swiftly between rows Saeran and Valia close on her heals, over one wall, around the next. They were making good time towards the center to the opaque white domed building, holding the mysterious door into a delightful world of fantasy and legend or horror as they had seen earlier. Karish slunk low keeping her back underneath the wall, to avoid outlining her form in the moonlight. She came upon the area the horses had been tethered the day prior, signaling Saeran and Valia to hold two walls back, she needed to scan the area; find out what the guards were doing. Scooting forward she peered around the wall, the guards were gone for the night, the door closed and resealed again. Waving Valia and Saeran forward she stood and walked up the stairs entering the building, the door that had so obviously been there the day before was gone blended flawlessly back into the floor.

“Valia, see if you can find the latch to this door.” Karish whispered.

Valia scooting forward, dropped to her knees next to where she thought she had last seen the door. Placing her hands on the floor, feeling the warm heat of a loving mothers touch caressing her body and mind, she pulled herself back and sent her senses forward; reaching, searching, questioning the building, something never heard of or done before this. There it was, so inconspicuous, “I found it,” she exclaimed. Standing she walked over to the far side of the wall, she had learned from the building that a panel like the one that opened the doors within the temple existed here but it was up to her to find the exact location. “It’s just like the doors downstairs,” her hands continued to flow over the wall. “Ah ha,” the panel slid into the floor leaving a gapping hole of stair like teeth ready to eat all who entered in one gulp.

Karish entered moving fast down towards the main level, Saeran and Valia taking two steps at a time trying to keep up. Pulsating white walls lighting the way, hitting the first floor at a run, Saeran moving quickly to take the lead.

“This way,” Saeran turned sharply down the first hallway on the right sliding to a halt at the first door. Moving her hand over the panel, the door slid open soundlessly, “I have this room, go.”

The other two women running past her, Valia sliding the next-door open in passing for Karish then taking the door after for herself. Exiting their hands full, they headed back up the stairs Karish in the lead two steps at a time breathless; sweat pouring profusely down her back despite the cool night. Rounding the corner, taking the last three steps she looked up just in time to slam directly into Deiondre flying the opposite direction down the stairs.

“What are you doing here? How did you get in?” Deiondre stuttered in astonishment, “I was the only one who knew how the door worked. You,” he pointed in Valias direction “opened the door. You’re the only one with the capability to figure out the mechanism. Please help me find the book, I ask nothing else of you.” He was desperate; he would have no other chance to return before the door latches were discovered and the rooms looted to include the book. The book then would be sold to some rich clan member to be placed on their mantel; the powers hidden within the book, sleeping like a baby never to wake because none could read the archaic language.

Karish untangling herself from Deiondre moved past him in a flurry of arms and legs, “I have no plans on staying here any longer or of helping you, bye.” Smiling fetchingly his way, she passed him quickly, disappearing from sight up and out of the temple; another trip down would most likely bring the guards hunting them like animals for desecration of their temple and she didn’t plan on staying there to test their luck.

“Valia please,” Deiondre whispered pleadingly grabbing her arm as she tried to pass; never loosing a step she phased her arm from his grasp and kept moving. He looked at his hand in astonishment, still not understanding the immense power of a changeling. Turning he headed back down into the bowels of the temple, he would find the book himself without their help and then the power would be his alone and they would pay for their insubordination.

At the surface, pilferage items packed away carefully, they departed at a quick clip fully intending to reach the resupply point before morning.

“Good luck Deiondre,” Karish said under her breath spurring Whispering Wind forward.
© Copyright 2005 Green Dragon (UN: jeanettebarnes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Green Dragon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/376473-Chapter-VII