*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/377585-Long-time-no-see
Rated: ASR · Book · Personal · #1015371
The rambles, rants and raves of a writing newbie.
#377585 added October 6, 2005 at 9:33am
Restrictions: None
Long time no see!
Yes, WDC sent me multiple reminders: "update your blog! update your blog!" All for nothing. I solemnly ignored them. As someone already said - all sayings become apocryphal in my hands, since I can't remember their authors' names - "I write by fits. There're times I do nothing at all, and times I scribble all day and read all night." Or something to that effect. I also can't remember how the sayings go. Anyway, I don't feel like writing these days. Ja, I know it's spring already and I should be pretty high by now, but this dreary weather reminds me of winter. Weather's getting weirder with the passage of time. Then again, my city's weather was always weird. We never leave our homes without an umbrella and a coat, no matter if there's a scorching sun outside. Tropical countries and their quirks. And then my city and its quirks. But I was talking about writing. No, indeed I wanted to talk about something else: a contest I entered at the end of last month.

I was very despondent about the story I sent to the contest. I was getting the most contrastant reviews about it. Some said it was brilliant, others that it was crap. I sent it just because I had got nothing to lose besides my non-existent reputation here in WDC. So I sent it, hoping at least to get more reviews on it and figure out what to make of it. I thought it was good, but apparently people didn't share my opinion. Okay, so I knew it wasn't that good compared to my favourite authors. And I didn't expect much out of the contest.

Yesterday I decided not to connect to the net, seeing that I was spending too much time here. Besides, I had to watch Discovery Channel's docummentary on Katrina, but that's besides the point. So today I came to WDC and found out I had got tons on newsletters in my email. However, there were about four entries that weren't newsletters: some reviews, a notice about the winner of a contest and... it seemed someone had given me a merit badge. I decided to check my email, oldest first. And when I finally came to the winner notice, I found out I was chosen the overall winner of the contest! I was sceptical, then flabbergasted, thrilled, and utterly happy. So that merit badge was related to the contest! I won a "job well done" merit badge. My first, and hopefully not my last. See, my anonymous benefactor, you who gave me this upgraded membership, your investment wasn't fruitless.

Now, if only I could bring myself to write again...

© Copyright 2005 Iblis Lux (UN: iblislux at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Iblis Lux has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/377585-Long-time-no-see