*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/381549-The-Dare
Rated: E · Book · Teen · #1025510
A young girl caves in to peer pressure, and finds herself in a near-death situation.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#381549 added October 24, 2005 at 5:07pm
Restrictions: None
The Dare
Drip. Drip. Drip
The slow but steady trickle of water echoed off the round stone wall as it hit the floor. It was pitch black, and although i couldn't see a thing, i could feel the water around my ankles and in my shoes. Above me i could hear the rain falling, and i shivered. It was so cold, so wet, my hands and face had already gone numb.
I don't know how long i'd been stuck down this well for, but it felt like hours. I'd tried shouting, screaming, "someone help me!" But i knew that there was no-one there to hear me. I was completely lost and alone.
It's my own fault, i know. If i had only said no, not let them wind me up, not felt like i had something to prove to them. I don't even like them that much. but they're the coolest girls in school, everyone else loves them. I thought maybe if i did it, they would think i was cool too.
Now im stuck down the bottom of a deep, dark, smelly well. No way would they think i was cool after this. I was going to be the laughing stock of St Johns Secondry School.

It all started at lunchtime today. I was in the toilets-Harry Danials had spilt coke all over my white blouse-when they walked in.
"Who did that to your top?" one of them asked, looking down her pointed nose at me.
"Harry Danials" i mumbled, blushing a little. I must have looked a right mess.
"Oh my god, your blushing!" another girl with blonde hair cried, and they started laughing. That just made me blush even more, but i didn't say anything.
"You fancy him, don't you!" she continued, and all five girls screeched with laughter.
"No i don't!" i gasped. No way!
"Oh, yes you do!" a black haired girl replied. "Your being such a baby about it!" She turned to study herself in the mirror above the sink.
"Im not a baby", i leant against the sink, trying to look cool. "He's soooo not happening!" i laughed-a phrase they always used. But they just looked at me like i'd just been beamed down from planet loser.
Awkward silence.
Then Charmaine Weathers, prettiest, meanest and leader of the coolest girls in school turned and stared directly at me, a smirk spread across her face.
"So", she started slowly. "Want to prove to us that your not a baby?"
Oh no-what did i say? If i said yes, they were obviously going to get me to do something dangerous, humiliating, or even illegal. But if i said no, i would be branded a baby forever!
I opted for the diplomatic route, and replied; "Depends what you've got".
Charmaine Weathers glanced at her cronies who sniggered gleefully. My heart beat faster-i was nervous.
"This evening. Go down to the haunted forest, right to the middle-to Hangmans Hut, and knock on the door 3 times".
I gasped-haunted forest? Hangmans Hut?!
The rest of Charmaine's group looked as shocked as i did, but they quickly composed themselves, fixing maching grins onto their faces.
"And you have to take a photo. As proof" Charmaine continued.
I thought about it. I wanted to say no, but they had me circled like vultures, goading expressions on their faces like they knew i wouldn't do it...
"Fine" i replied.
With a satisfied smile, Charmaine led her gang out of the toilets and into the corridor.
© Copyright 2005 Scarlet101 (UN: scarlet101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlet101 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/381549-The-Dare