*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/383073
Rated: E · Book · Horror/Scary · #1015910
This is the story of a young girl who discovers the terrifying secrets of her new school
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#383073 added November 1, 2005 at 11:26am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3-6
CHAPTER 3

“What was that all about? You said you would go easy on the poor thing!” Star said crossly.
“I tried to go easy on her. I just want her to realize the severity of her situation, that’s all,” Buck responded, calmly shuffling papers on his desk.
“Well, try harder next time,” Star quipped angrily. “She looked like she was about to cry!”
“Really? Well then, I think it worked after all! She needs to realize that I won’t tolerate any matter of criminal behavior in my school. I think I got through,” he said, wrinkling his nose in chagrin.
Star just sighed. “I’ll keep an eye on her.”
“Star, it’s going to be a long year.”

1

Despite the day’s horrible onset, Lenore’s morning classes proved to be quite interesting. All the classrooms had the same basic set up, three large tables were set up in the center of each room. The teachers’ desks were in either the corner or in the front of the rooms, and a white board and a bulletin board were on the walls.
She had Max McCaulfield for History and English classes. He had an infectious sense of humor and a very jovial personality. She didn’t even mind taking notes, which she loathed doing in public school.
Brandon Thatcher was her science teacher. He was slightly portly with brown eyes that sparkled with friendliness. He was one of the jolliest people she had ever meant, always smiling and cracking jokes about something or other.
For math class, she had Lilly Mayfield. Lenore put her somewhere in her mid twenties. She looked to be the youngest teacher in the school. She had long, dark blonde hair; bright blue eyes and a warm smile that would make anyone feel welcome. Surprisingly, Lenore’s first math class went well that day, considering it was her most disliked subject. Lilly proved to be extremely encouraging and sensitive. She even managed to keep her cool when students got challenging, which was pretty often.
Lenore appreciated being around people who didn’t judge or chastise her. The blaming look on Buck’s face that morning, and the abhorrent tone in his voice was one of the most humiliating experiences of her life. It would be etched in her memory forever.
Lunch came quickly that first day. At eleven twenty-five, the sixteen students at Wolf Creek Alternative School filed back into the group room. Lenore found the lunch program confusing. The only restaurant in town, Coleman’s Diner, sent their menu to the school every morning. The students filled out a sheet with what they wanted for lunch and then it would be sent back to the diner, which in turn would send the meals over to the school at eleven-twenty.
Lenore skipped the whole perplexing issue and didn’t bother to get a lunch. The group room was packed when she got there. The scent of freshly cooked French fries and greasy onion rings greeted her as soon as she walked in. The mouth-watering aroma of hot cheese and garlic pizza also laced the air and teased her growing hunger to the point where she wondered if she should have ordered a lunch. The room smelled delectable! She took a seat in the corner by herself and observed her surroundings. The two large cardboard boxes that the lunches came in had been set on the center table. Kids were clamoring to find their orders, digging through the boxes and pulling out grease soaked bags of fries, styrofoam cartons of cheeseburgers and hamburgers, and slices of pizza with ribbons of cheese hanging off.
Dexter, Anthony, and Victor sat together at the center table, throwing French fries across the room at two other boys. Every now and then, the targets shot an angry glance at the trio, silently warning them to stop. While the French fries continued to bounce off their backs, a handful of chips were the next things to go sailing across the room. Rosemary, a teacher Lenore found extremely nurturing and free spirited, had to stop the now full-fledged food fight. She remembered the two boys from what Buck had called, ‘morning meeting,’ though their names had never been mentioned.
“What’s up? You’re sitting all alone, mind if I keep you company?” Artie asked, sliding into the seat next to her.
“I’m beginning to realize what Max was talking about in morning meeting. You know those ‘senseless little dramas?’”
Artie laughed. “Oh yeah! Some of them are fall-down funny! These kids will throw a fit over the stupidest little thing. In Rosemary’s Math class today, Anthony Fitzgerald and Bailey Jacques were throwing pencils at each other during a quiz. Well, apparently Anthony got totally pissed off and got up and punched Bailey right in the shoulder! Bailey jumped up, started screaming and swearing, and tried to punch Anthony. When Rosemary tried to stop it, Bailey turned around and started swearing and screaming at her! Oh, but get this! This is the kicker. When they were sent down to the support center, Anthony was claiming that he didn’t do anything! Can you believe that?”
“In this school, yes I can.” Lenore said.
“Buck is right when he says that everyone is here for a reason. Man, some of these kids have ‘issues!’” Artie exclaimed. “No lunch?”
Lenore shook her head. “Nope. I think I’ll just bring my lunch tomorrow.”
“Don’t trust that diner?”
“It isn’t that, I just don’t get their lunch system.”
“Want a soda? My mom gave me two, she always does,” Artie offered.
“No! I can’t take your soda!” Lenore refused.
Artie shrugged and put it back in his bag. “Okay, but if you ever need a drink, you can always have my extra soda.”
“Thanks,” she said, giving him a look of gratitude. “I mean it.” It felt good to know that everyone didn’t think she was a psycho-killer.
“Hey guys!” Charlie said enthusiastically as he plopped into the seat across from them.
“Ah, hi Charlie. Do you want something?” Lenore asked, groaning silently to herself. He had been the first student she’d seen that day, the one running around the group room like a moron. Her initial opinion of him still held close to the mark. Of all the kids whom she had heard being screamed at today, Charlie’s name was shouted down the hallway the most. In a way, she felt bad for him. None of the other kids seemed to like him very much, she could tell by the way they incessantly called him ‘fairy.’ She didn’t particularly like him either, mostly because of the outlandish stories he constantly told and his relentless need to chatter annoyingly right in your ear. Still, it was for those very reasons that she pitied him.
“Nothin’. Just wanted to say hi,” he said innocently.
“Well, you said it. You got any other reason to be buzzing in our ears?” Artie snapped.
“I could. Want to hear about the time my dad and I spent the night in the-”
“Put a sock in it. I already have a headache,” Artie snarled. At that moment, Lilly strolled into the room with her lunch. Charlie jumped up, announcing, “Fine! I’ll go tell somebody who wants to listen!” and made a beeline for her.
“Poor Lilly. She’s become his next victim.”
“Oh, Artie, give the kid a break! He’s only in seventh grade. Everyone here is so mean to him,” Lenore said with heartfelt empathy.
“When I was in seventh grade, I can honestly say I had attained more maturity than that. This school has no pride,” he said, taking a bite of his ham sandwich. Lenore sighed and rested her chin on her palms. With the food fight now officially broken up, one of the targets, the taller, lighter-haired boy approached them.
“Hey Artie.”
“Hey.”
“It’s only the first day and you’re already talking up the ladies. That’s just like you, isn’t it?” He said jokingly.
Artie returned a friendly grin. “You got that right, buddy!”
“He’s quite the charming fellow,” Lenore teased. “I must admit I’m already a prisoner of his beguiling spell.”
“I like your sense of humor. I’m Caleb. I don’t recall ever hearing your name screamed in the corridor today.”
“That’s not my thing. But I’m Lenore, for the record,” she said with a witty chuckle. “I’d rather do the screaming.”
“Droll, as well,” he observed. “You sure can pick them, Artie Boy. And this,” he turned and pointed to his friend, “Is Matt.” As if on cue, Matt casually joined Caleb. A slice of pizza in hand, he offered them a cheesy smile. He swallowed his mouthful and said, “Hey guys.”
Lenore noted the casualness of the conversation and the enjoyable atmosphere and found herself amazed that she was in an alternative school. Most of the kids were pleasant and fun to talk to. It was like they’d known each other all their lives. She almost felt like she was back at Oldport High School. Then there was Artie. Artie was so spontaneous and enjoyable. She loved being around him. His fun-loving, carefree nature enticed her, inviting her to want to learn more about his alluring persona. As she sat enjoying the moment, her earlier encounter with Buck was temporarily forgotten, and she didn’t mind being a student at Wolf Creek Alternative School.


CHAPTER 4

By the end of that first day, Lenore had, one way or the other, learned everyone’s name. Judging from their performances during sessions in the group room and classes they shared, she got a pretty good overview of each of their personalities. Artie and Caleb were, by far, the most interesting and comical kids she had ever encountered.
She did indeed meet Seth. Seth Harding was just as she assumed him to be. During their lengthy conversation in gym class, she discovered that he was from Newburyport. Presently in eleventh grade, he had spent his freshman and sophomore year at Newburyport High, although Lenore had never ran into him in the hall or on her way to class. He had attained honor roll status during his whole middle and high school life and was deeply intent on finishing high school and attending college. He seemed a strong, dependable kind of guy. Lenore took a liking to him at once.
Hannah Tillerman was the most sociable person Lenore ever met. She seemed to thrive in the limelight, absolutely loving it when all eyes and attention rested on her. With shoulder length, jet-black hair and a heavily made up face, it was easy to begin a conversation with her. All Lenore had to utter was, “Hi,” and they were off and running. She was from Clinton, New Hampshire. She would soon find out that Hannah was a blast to hang around with. She had this “come and get me” attitude around boys. Lenore admired that because even though it wasn’t often, she had an occasional tendency to get tongue-tied around boys that she had a crush on.
Cody Flounder, on the other hand, was very tight-lipped. He had wavy, styled back brown hair and a freckled face made him look younger than his age. He wasn’t the type who caused a ruckus, nor did he participate in any of the immature temper tantrums or constant commotions. He preferred to observe situations rather than join in. She had little luck in conversing with him and barely managed to squeeze a hello out of him. His attention appeared to be focused on other matters rather than her. He avoided eye contact and offered vague answers to her questions. The only direct information he volunteered was that he lived in Pineville, New Hampshire.
Julie Kipling was the exact opposite of Cody. Her hair was startlingly blonde-obviously a dye job. She was very tall and shapely, with the kind of body that Lenore often wished she had. She talked up a storm, even when no one was interested in listening. Two minutes into the conversation, Lenore regretted even attempting to mingle with her and wanted out. But that wasn’t happening. Julie went on and on about matters that Lenore cared nothing about. She was from Birchfield, New Hampshire, a short drive from Wolf Creek. Lenore was relieved when class finally resumed.
Victor Ambrose was quite the character. He was Hispanic with short black hair, dark brown eyes and deep, tanned skin. From the city of Lowell, Massachusetts, he had an ambitious attitude and a quick temper. Even so, he was incredibly kind to Lenore, and she found his refined manner around her a surprising relief.
Anthony Fitzgerald was tall and very well built, with short black hair and black eyes. He was another student from Pineville and was exactly as Artie had said he was, temperamental and antagonistic. Throughout that first day, he performed a series of childish antics, much like the one Artie had recounted earlier. Lenore especially favored the one during wrap up, the schools’ end of the day meeting. What occurred was a simple power struggle, a stunt Lenore observed many of the students to pull…
While Buck was trying to run wrap up, Anthony wouldn’t lay off the side chatter, talking away with Dexter at the back of the room. Buck had had to put a halt to morning meeting until the talking stopped. Five minutes later when everyone was getting restless at waiting, Anthony still hadn’t gotten the message. Buck commanded him to stop talking. Anthony’s response was to flip him the bird. He was just one of those types who innately opposed authority, the type Lenore had made it her mission to steer clear of. It wasn’t the fact that the entire episode was completely pointless that intrigued her, rather the fact that Anthony did a pretty good job making a complete fool out of himself.
Buck’s beet red face and the throbbing vein in his neck indicated his intense anger and humiliation. Lenore had learned that this was his first year of running an alternative school. His twenty-five years of teaching public school gave him plenty of experience dealing with kids, but she could tell he wasn’t used to this level of disobedience. She basked in his apparent mortification, savoring every moment. Still, she found herself feeling pleased with him when he calmly took a stance against Anthony, without a trace of hesitation or wavering confidence.
Bailey Jacques was from the city of Manchester, New Hampshire and his personality was similar to Anthony’s. Tall and gangly with beady gray eyes, his cantankerous and belligerent attitude toward everyone and everything that had anything to do with authority was his biggest downfall. His intermittent commotions and constant shooting off of his mouth landed him in the support center often. He, along with many others, frequented the room most of the day.
Vince Buckley was from Methuen, Massachusetts, next door to Desire. In Lenore’s opinion, he lived much too close to her. He strode through the front door at eleven forty-five, strutting so his clearly developed pecs bulged through his white, sleeveless tee shirt and were visible to everyone. He was wearing a ripped pair of the tightest fighting jeans Lenore had ever seen. His hair was slicked back with so much gel that it glistened underneath the artificial lights in the building.
Vince strode into the group room with a self-absorbed grin lighting up his face. Within five minutes of his strutting and his insolent, brazen comments directed to every one in the room, Lenore could tell he had an ego the size of Texas. At one point, his narcissistic gaze fell on her. She shrugged him off with a disdainful smile.
Zeke Cashman had two different sides to him. A short boy of African descent, he was younger than most of the other students at Wolf Creek Alternative. He lived at a group home in Merrimack, New Hampshire. Around Lenore and other members of the quieter crowd, he was decent and very kind. As soon as he mingled with the more aggressive students, he would follow their lead and inevitably end up in trouble along with them.
Sam Sutherland was the kind of person Lenore felt totally relaxed around. He was easy-going and just loved to chill out. He was one of the few students under the age of fifteen. His hair was a wild mop of red and he was about the same height as Zeke and very wiry. During their brief fifteen-minute break in the morning she joined him in the hallway. Their conversation was terse, but she managed to learn quite a bit about him. A native of Epping, New Hampshire, he had been shipped off to Wolf Creek Alternative School for something he claimed he didn’t do. Lenore identified with him. They clicked instantly.
Dexter Wright was slightly different than the other students. He, like Caleb and Matt, was from Wolf Creek. His eyes were deep set and intense, as if hiding his thoughts from the world. He didn’t really pay much attention to Lenore, but whenever his glance did rest on her, if only for a second, she got the strangest feeling. Not a full out creepy feeling, more of an anomalous chill that ran down her spine whenever they exchanged glances. She couldn’t explain it, and by lunchtime was wondering if she was just over tired from her lack of sleep the night before. She shook it off and figured it was probably just nervousness from it being her first day of school and being around all these new people.
However, she felt a strong need to keep a watchful eye on him.
As the first day of school progressed, Lenore was able to glean from a few of the teachers that most of the students were from New Hampshire, mostly from the Portsmouth and Manchester area. She wasn’t surprised that she was one of the few students from Massachusetts.
The day that had begun with a gray, ominous sky and a gathering of equally menacing storm clouds, had concluded with a sequence of miserable weather. Around two o’clock that afternoon, pea-sized hailstones pelted the roof forcefully. About ten minutes later the hail stopped and a drenching downpour of icy rain replaced it. It was as noisy as the hail had been and lasted until almost three, when it started to die down. It was still raining out now, Lenore saw as she gazed out the large bay window, noticing a thick blanket of fog had settled outside.
The group of excited kids waited anxiously to go home inside the front hallway, ready to leap into their vans the moment they arrived. Lenore had stepped back from the high-strung crowd and waited patiently, her back slumped against the wall. Her backpack hung loosely against her left shoulder, the other strap dangling at her side. From the bay window, she spied the first van pulling up to a slip-sliding halt. Victor, Charlie and Bailey dashed out of the building before anyone could shout goodbye. Several more vans arrived next. Lenore’s would be one of the last to arrive.
“Hi Lenore. Your van late too?”
Lenore tore her gaze away from the window and looked at Artie. “I’ll say. Considerably. I’m surprised you’re still here.”
There was a loud pounding at the window. Lenore turned around in surprise. It had started to storm again, harder than before. Fat raindrops slapped against the windowpane, sounding loud as thunder as torrents of heavy rain poured down onto the metal roof above their heads.
“We’re one of the few still left. How did your first day of school go?” Artie asked.
“Pretty tolerable,” she answered. “Considering I never really hated school in the first place.”
“Yeah, well, I’ll never be student of the month,” he admitted sheepishly, grinning good naturedly along with her teasing. Another van pulled up to the front of the building and beeped.
Julie brushed past them. “See you tomorrow, guys! If that van ever gets me here,” she said hurriedly, slipping out the door and into the pounding rain.
“Bye, Julie,” Lenore called.
“Yeah, bye,” Artie mumbled after she was gone. Then he shot Lenore a questioning look. “I’ll be glad to get home tonight! Too bad everybody at this school isn’t like you. I’d really like to get to know you better. Could I have your phone number?” Lenore felt her heart flutter and she suddenly felt breathless.
“My, ah, phone number? Sure!” She exclaimed, realizing she may have said sure a little too excitedly. He just smiled and handed her a slip of paper and a pen.
“Can I, ah, have yours?”
“Of course!” He dug through his backpack and found another piece of paper. “Can I borrow that pen?”
“Sure!”
He scribbled his number and handed the paper and the pen back to her. “Here you go.”
“Thanks.” She folded it in half and carefully concealed it in her pocket. Her palms sweating profusely, she jotted down her number in perfect penmanship. She included her name and address at the top. He took it and laughed.
“Getting a bit fancy, are we?” He chuckled.
Of course, if it’s for you, she wanted to say. But she carefully said, “Hey, it won’t hurt, will it?”
“Of course not. Now I can surprise you at your house.”
The door is always open for you, she thought hopefully. The mood was interrupted by the jolting honk of a horn. Another van sat outside, its engine rumbling noisily.
Out of the corner of her eye, Lenore saw Star coming down the corridor. She walked into the front hall and over to the window and glanced out at the waiting van. Recognition passed across her face.
“That’s your van, Artie. See you bright and early tomorrow morning,” she said warmly.
“Right. Bright and early. Bye Star. I’ll call you tonight, Lenore.”
“I’ll be waiting. Later.”
Artie stepped out into the rain and made a beeline for the van. Lenore watched it vanish with wistful eyes, watching the fog swallow it whole as it pulled away into the rainy afternoon.
“Are you all right, Lenore? I know Buck was a little hard on you this morning,” Star said, moving away from the window.
“I’ll be okay. I admit it shocked me at first, but I’ll get over it,” Lenore replied.
“I know you will, but if you ever need to talk I’m right here. Remember that,” Star told her with an understanding smile.
“Thank you. That’s very kind of you,” she said, blown away by this woman’s kindness. “But you don’t even know me.”
“I’ll get to know you. We have all year.”
“We do.” For the first time, Lenore felt a comforting feeling in her heart at this statement. “You don’t think I did it, do you?” she asked softly.
Star’s motherly features softened even more. “Of course I don’t. I mean that.”
“I’m not a murderer.”
“I know you’re not. I don’t believe you’re capable of committing a crime to any degree. I know you didn’t kill anybody and I know you never will. I’m always on your side. That’s my job. You’ll always have my support, no matter what,” Star promised the trembling Lenore.
“I wish Buck would say that.”
“Oh, don’t worry yourself about Buck. He is a real softie at heart. He just tries to hide it by playing tough. Just like many of the students here. That’s just his way, I guess. Believe me, he’ll soften eventually. He might even change his mind later on in the year. But for the time being, I’m right by your side, honey.” Honey. The affectionate word touched Lenore.
“Thank you so much,” she said, managing a smile. “I really needed to hear that.”
“And I’m really glad I could tell you that,” Star responded. Lenore felt a tear graze her cheek and more gathered at the corners of her eyes. She wiped them away quickly, slightly embarrassed.
“I’m sorry. I never cry in public.”
“That’s understandable, given the circumstances.” A horn blast startled them. Lenore almost dropped her backpack.
“You’re the only student left. That’s your ride.”
“Thanks again, Star. I feel much better now.” Lenore said earnestly.
Star patted her shoulder reassuringly. “I’m glad. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Bright and early!” Lenore grabbed her backpack and rushed out into the squall to meet her ride, her mind cleansed of all negative feelings.
Lenore would never forget that day. Once everything was said and done, it was a memorable start for the brand new chapter of her life.


CHAPTER 5

The phone had to ring. Lenore sat on her bed, staring hypnotically at the phone. Her heart had been in her throat since she got home. The anticipation was almost too much to handle. She didn’t understand why she was so nervous. She had spoken to boys on the phone before and she hadn’t been half as anxious. Now she was sitting here feeling like she was about to have a heart attack if she didn’t hear his voice. It was already seven-thirty. Oh, wait! Now it was seven-thirty one! She sighed and began to think that maybe he wasn’t going to call after all. Maybe he had just been leading her on. This wouldn’t be the first time. As her eyelids began to droop with fatigue, she continued to stare desperately at the phone. Please call, she silently begged to herself.
Another fifteen minutes crawled by. Not a ring. She sighed deeply and laid down. Maybe he would call tomorrow. Her fatigue increased and she dozed off.
The jolting ring of the phone had her up in a second. She grabbed it so fast it nearly slipped out of her hand.
“Hello?” She gasped breathlessly into the phone.
“Is Lenore there?”
“Right here!” It was Artie, no doubt. Finally!
“Hey. Do you know who this is?”
“Of course I do! Artie, I’m so glad you called! I’ve been waiting for you!” Upon saying this she realized what a dork she sounded like, but her joy in hearing his voice didn’t allow her to care.
“Boy, you do sound happy! That’s a good sign.”
“I do have a life you know, but just listen! I’ve been literally staring at the phone for the past half hour!” She blurted out excitedly. She instantly regretted it.
“Really? I’m sorry I took so long to call. I was working on my truck all afternoon. I think the carburetor’s busted.”
“In this weather?”
“I need my truck. It’s either fix it in the rain, or have no means of transportation,” he explained. Wow! He even had a car!
“Even a truck,” Lenore marveled. “How old are you?”
“Seventeen. I’ll be eighteen in December,” he said proudly.
“Cool. I’m fifteen. Not quite as old as you, but close enough.”
“That’s fine with me. Listen, I meant what I said when I told you I wanted to get to know you better. I hardly know you and I like you already. That doesn’t happen often. So, keeping that in mind, I was wondering if you were busy on Friday.”
A date! On Friday! With Artie! She couldn’t believe what she was hearing.
“But, we’ve only known each other for one day!”
“I know.” His voice dropped. “Is it too soon? You can be busy if you want,” he said. She could feel his apprehension seeping through the phone.
“Busy? No, of course not! I mean, y-yeah! Of course! I’d love to see you on Friday night!” She stammered.
“Great! I’m thinking the movies. I promise I’ll make sure it’s something you’re into. How does that sound?” He suggested.
“Great! I mean, great. That sounds fabulous!” She practically shouted.
“All right! We’ll have a great time,” he promised.
“You know, I thought you were going to stand me up!”
“Stand you up? I wouldn’t do that to you.”
“I know that now. God, I don’t think I could go through that again,” she responded, painfully remembering her last relationship.
“Why? Did you ever have to go through that?” Artie asked.
“Once. A while ago,” Lenore answered. “It was something like that, anyway.”
“Did he stand you up?”
“Along those lines. That was part of what happened between us, but it wasn’t only that.” Lenore shut her eyes and shuddered silently. “You really don’t want to know. It was horrible beyond words, trust me.”
“You don’t feel like talking about it?” Artie asked gently.
“I couldn’t handle it, at least not right now,” she answered, feeling tears spring to her eyes at the mere thought of it.
“It’s up to you. But if you ever do feel like talking, I’m here to listen,” he offered kindly.
“Thank you,” Lenore said. She remembered Star. He was the second person who offered her a chance to talk. She suddenly felt really good.
“I’m looking forward to Friday, Lenore,” Artie said gladly.
“Same here,” Lenore agreed eagerly. “Same here.”




© Copyright 2005 A. Rebecca Wagner (UN: blacklabz55 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A. Rebecca Wagner has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/383073