*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/383159
by RASM
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1028702
First book in a series about 8 teens who find stones allowing them to control nature.
#383159 added November 25, 2005 at 11:28am
Restrictions: None
The Dark Stone (Not Redone Yet)
Chapter 8

The Dark Stone





“Why do you want me to call everyone Jessica?” asked Jonathan. “Trust me it is important. Plus you are good on the phone. Just tell them to come to my house. My dad isn’t here. He is still on a business trip. Don’t talk to them at all about their break. We can talk about it at my house,” said Jessica.

Jessica hung up the phone and walked to her refrigerator. She was already in her pajamas and she just wanted to have a quick snack. She opened the refrigerator and grabbed the milk carton. She poured the milk, put the carton back and went to her leather couch to watch one of her favorite shows, I’m With Her.

As she sat down she looked at her neck. She has begun to notice her stone getting darker day by day. It had not glowed since she put it around her neck. She wondered in her head if her stone was just a rock and that she was delirious and thought it was glowing. She then reminded herself that her stone was in a special room in the mountain. Before she knew it, it was ten o’clock and she decided to go to bed. She had a long day ahead of her.

The next morning, she awaited her friends to come. Her stone had begun to darken even more than the day before. She went to a bakery to have breakfast and pick up some food for her friends.

Jessica walked outside to her backyard and sat at the base of her fountain. She looked at her reflection in the water and wondered why her life was this way. Why had her parents split up? Why had her mother moved so far away? Why had her father worked so many hours? Why could she not understand and unlock the power of the stone? All she could ask was why.

About fifteen minutes later the doorbell rang. Jessica walked over and opened the door, behind it stood Bobby. “Hey Jessica, what’s the emergency? Jonathan called me last night and I worried a little,” said Bobby.

“Bobby? Where is Stephanie? Didn’t she come with you?” asked Jessica.

“She is going to be in your backyard in a few seconds, just wait.”

Bobby and Jessica walked to her backyard and sat on the fountain. Jessica told Bobby that she will explain as soon as everyone arrives at her house. Jessica looked at the sky and saw a bird that looked similar to Stephanie’s bird, Polly.

“Bobby, do you know why Polly is in my backyard? She never flies this far,” asked Jessica.

“That isn’t Polly,” responded Bobby. As he was saying this, the bird flew down to the grass and began to change. “That REALLY isn’t Polly!” exclaimed Bobby. He then yelled causing Jessica to begin screaming at the top of her lungs. As the bird changed, it quickly began to resemble a human, a human that looked like Stephanie. Jessica kept on screaming. Bobby began to laugh.

“Jessica, did I scare you?” asked Stephanie in her calm voice. She tried to hold her laughter in while she was speaking. Jessica then looked at her. She then looked at Bobby laughing and asked him, “You were in on this too weren’t you?” Bobby nodded his head. Jessica scowled at him and then hit him.

“Jessica, over the break, both of our powers have grown. I can now become animals, well some animals. I still haven’t been able to become animals I haven’t seen up close or touched,” stated Stephanie.

“Now I can levitate a bit. I am still rather clumsy but it is like I am flying if I do it right,” added Bobby.

“Wow you guys really have been practicing,” said Jessica.

“So you didn’t notice Stephanie’s pink stone when she was Polly?”

“Not really. I was too freaked out by the fact that a bird was becoming a human in front of me, especially since it didn’t look human.” Jessica turned and hit Bobby again.

The door bell rang several times over the next half hour. Each of their friends came one by one. Jessica gathered them in her backyard by the fountain. Bobby and Stephanie kept showing off their new abilities they could now use because their powers grew over the break.

When Nick came, Jessica walked him to her fountain. As she was walking she saw Patty on the ground and the grass around her seemed really fresh compared to the rest. Jessica thought she caught a glimpse of glow through Patty’s sweater. She then looked at Kemelly. She was staring down at the fountain moving her hand over the water and mumbling every now and then.

When Nick sat down, Jonathan asked, “So Jessica, why did you have us all come to your house?”

“Yea what is the emergency anyway?” asked Andrew.

Jessica pulled out her necklace and said, “This is the reason why.” Everyone looked at her. Then Patty stood up and pulled a green stone on a necklace out of her sweater. The others started to pull them out too. Andrew’s was yellow, Patty’s was an emerald green, Kemelly’s was a type of aqua, Nick’s was red, and Jonathan’s was a brown, grey, dark green color. Everyone looked at each other’s stone. Bobby and Stephanie were shocked. Everyone could see the expressions on their faces. They were shocked, completely shocked.

Nick said aloud, “I got mine when I was hand gliding. A volcano erupted under me and the stone shot up and hit me. I figured it was fire because of the color. I ended up making the lava go back into the volcano.”

“I saved Atlantis from a group of sirens, after my sisters pushed me off the cruise ship accidentally. The mermaids and mermen already knew that my stone controlled water,” stated Kemelly.

“I was struck by lightning. Then I saved Kimera and Cashma from hyenas. I also got to zap old people on my airplane,” said Andrew giggling at the last part.

“My airplane got hi-jacked. I jumped out of the airplane before it hit the rainforest. This one girl Ariel guided me back to a temple, The Temple Of Plants. In the end of a maze, I found my stone, the plant stone,” said Patty in awe.

“I didn’t even have time to find out what my stone controlled,” started Jonathan. Jessica’s eyes widened for she didn’t know what her stone controlled either. “But when Brittney fell while we were rock climbing, I asked the mountain to stretch out and catch her. It did catch her. I guess mine is the earth stone.”

“I ended up in the hospital after an avalanche. I made it into a cavern before it hit me. It was actually a really large cave. I climbed toward this light. It turned out to be produced by my stone. When I arrived in this room, it was filled with mirrors, and there was an altar in the middle. I couldn’t reach it. Then two wolves came in and I ended up running into the altar. One wolf ended up dying. The other ate it. I saw my opportunity and took off. I ended up getting hypothermia. I tried to control any element possible, but nothing seemed to work,” explained Jessica.

“Well we already know that there are more than just the basic four elements of earth, wind, fire, and water,” said Bobby.

“Yea,” added Stephanie, “We even have elements that control living things.” She looked at Patty and nodded.

“Don’t worry Jessica. We have plenty of time to figure it out,” said Patty.

“That is what I am worried about. I don’t think I have much more time. My stone used to be a blue color, but it has been darkening every day. I think something bad might happen.”

Kemelly looked at her and asked, “Was it a blue like my stone?”

“No, it was a light, clear blue. Like in between your stone and Bobby’s and I know I am meant to control it because a necklace appeared when I touch it.”

“In Atlantis, the queen told me that only the right person can wield its power. A sign would appear when the right person touched it. When I touched it, my necklace appeared.”

“When I woke up from the shock of the lightning strike, I saw the necklace next to me. The stone clenched in my hand. I had no idea how it got there.”

“Well let’s show each other our new powers,” exclaimed Jonathan.

“This might help me think about what my stone controls,” said Jessica.

Patty asked Jessica if she ever wanted a big tree to climb in her backyard. Patty asked for a tree to grow. Her stone glowed and the tree began to grow directly from the ground. Andrew began to turn lights on and off inside the house. Jonathan made a small earthquake and made a hill in Jessica’s backyard. Nick lit his lighter and made the fire grow and dance on the ground.

“Those are all very cute tricks but look at what I can do,” Kemelly said. Everyone turned to look at her. She mumbled and her stone glowed. Some of the water from Jessica’s pool began to rise up. It began to rearrange itself. It then began to walk on the ground. It had taken the shape of a four foot tall dragon. It was actually a really bad looking dragon, but it was still a dragon. She then whispered again. Her stone glowed again and the dragon began to run.

It ran directly toward Bobby, but his stone suddenly glowed. He hadn’t said anything. Then the wind began to blow directly from Bobby at the dragon. The dragon couldn’t move so Kemelly called it off and then ordered it to do something else. The dragon moved extremely swiftly toward Nick. It then ran right through him. Nick was left behind soaking wet. Everyone began to laugh at Nick, everyone except for Jessica.

Jessica’s stone began to glow. She walked over to the fountain and sat down. Her stone began to glow and then it would stop. It would begin again and stop. Each time the stop was shorter. Then Patty noticed it. She ran to Jessica and so did the others.

They gathered around the fountain. Patty asked, “Do you think it is something good?” After she asked it, the stone just kept glowing. Then Jessica’s stone began to rise up. It kept going up and then it began to lift Jessica up. Everyone began to move around the fountain.

Every second she was lifted higher. She was over the center of her fountain when everyone felt a cool chill. Then Andrew looked at the fountain and screamed, “The water has stopped coming out and it became ice!”

Jessica just kept staring at her stone. Her eyes wouldn’t move. She was in a trance and the others felt powerless as they could do nothing about it. Bobby tried to bring her back down with the wind but it wouldn’t work. Patty tried to grab her with a vine, but as it got closer to her it began to shrivel and die.

The sky turned dark and the air turned cold. Each strand of Jessica’s hair began to rise as well. Her stone began to glow more and more. Stephanie whispered to Bobby, “If you look at her stone, it looks almost as if… as if it was shining with darkness, if that is even possible.”

Bobby looked up and then ice shot directly from the stone. It was headed toward Patty. Patty yelled and then vines grew up from the ground in front of Patty and absorbed the blow. Then three more shot out, one to Jonathan and two to Andrew. Bobby yelled, “Move!” and then the wind came swiftly and swept Nick off his feet and out of harm’s way. Jonathan asked for a wall and rock rose up from the ground shielding him. He then commanded the ground to become like a bunker. The ground shifted and they all jumped in except for Bobby and Patty. “You guys get in the bunker! Patty and I will be fine!” yelled Bobby.

“Patty, stand right next to me. I will create a shield of wind protecting us from her ice. The ice will break before it hits us. You must try to grab her with a plant somehow,” said Bobby.

“OK, but…” Patty was cut off. Jessica yelled extremely loudly as tons of ice and snow started to circle around her in the air. After about ten seconds, she took a breath and yelled even louder, but not a scream of pain, a scream of hate and anger. All the snow and ice shot down at Patty, Bobby, and the others in the bunker. Bobby’s stone glowed and the wind shield around he and Patty grew. Patty’s hair was flying in all directions. “Now, grab Jessica and bring her here safely and quickly.” Her stone glowed and after the snow died down, there was Jessica staring at Patty and Bobby in disbelief.

Patty ran and hugged her. “I guess my stone is the ice stone,” said Jessica. Bobby ran over to check on Stephanie and the others. They were fine. Nick made most of the snow that came toward them melt.

“Jessica, what happened to you in there?” asked Kemelly.

“I saw it all,” said Stephanie.

“How could you see through all that snow?” asked Andrew.

“Hawks have great vision. Her stone split if I saw correctly. The dark part split from the ice part,” stated Stephanie.

“Yea, my stone is back to its old color, but just to make sure. Ice, dance around me like you were doing a few moments ago,” said Jessica. The ice rose up and began to swirl around Jessica. “I guess it does control ice. I do remember feeling so empty, so lonely, so angry. I felt like I was shrouded in darkness. I had no hope. I think I would’ve died in there if it weren’t for Patty.”

“One thing for sure is that this is not good news. The dark part ended up flying away. It shot away like a star. It went so far that I just couldn’t see it anymore through the hole I made,” said Stephanie.

“I guess this means we have to take on the evil that took over Jessica,” said Jonathan. The others all nodded.
© Copyright 2005 RASM (UN: rasm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RASM has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/383159