*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/383405-Acquired-Sight
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1029104
What makes humans, human? In three seperate stories, we find out.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#383405 added November 2, 2005 at 5:47pm
Restrictions: None
Acquired Sight
**I like this story, a lot. *Wink* It's just so, lighthearted; and it always cheers me up when I read it. A lot of people say only write depressing stuff, but look at this people! This is happy! *Wink* Enjoy, thanks for reading!**

Acquired sight
         “Excuse me, are you Erika?” a male voice asked, dragging my attention away from my wine glass to the bored looking face hovering above me. I blinked sadly, unconsciously crossing my legs beneath the table.
         “Yes? Are you Mark?” I asked quietly, conditioning my voice to hide my utter displeasure of being there.
         He nodded curtly and slowly pulled the opposite chair away from the table, sitting down carefully as if he had a broken back. I watched him as he removed the provided cloth from the table and placed it onto his lap, meticulously smoothing out the creases until it was to his liking.
         I pursed my lips in thought, wondering what human protocol called for next. My shoulders sagged as I thought of the dreadful polite conversation, followed by the subtle flirting expected from both parties on a blind date.
         What was the point of all this? These useless human conditions; the unspoken rules of living? Placed by mankind only to prevent us from having to say what we actually mean?
         “Mark, have you ever been in love?” I asked softly, staring earnestly into his eyes and choosing this moment for complete unbridled honesty. His eyes flickered in surprise but he was determined not to show it, simply placing his hand gingerly on the table. He watched me warily, and seeing that I would take nothing short of the truth he lowered his gaze, tapping his fingers gently.
         “Yes. Once.”
         I clasped my hands and placed them on the table, leaning forward to let him know he had my full attention.
         “Do you think, that we’ll be in love?” To Hell with protocol.
         His head rose and he frowned at me, obviously wondering what sort of answer I was wanting or expecting. But seeing only integrity in my eyes he sighed in resolution, shaking his head.
         “No, I don’t.”
         I nodded reassuringly, letting him know that he didn’t at all hurt my feelings.
         “Then it doesn’t really seem prudent for us to continue, does it?”
         He blinked in slight surprise, sitting back in his chair. “I suppose not.” I felt the weight lift off of the moment and stood from my chair, extending my hand for a shake.
         “I appreciate your honesty Mark, thank you.”
         He reluctantly took my hand and I quickly shook it and turned, smiling even wider as I walked away, pulling my shawl closer around myself.
         Score one for mankind.........
© Copyright 2005 Nameless, like the moon (UN: shakora at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Nameless, like the moon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/383405-Acquired-Sight