*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/384495
by RASM
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1028702
First book in a series about 8 teens who find stones allowing them to control nature.
#384495 added November 25, 2005 at 11:30am
Restrictions: None
Fire Hammer
Chapter 15

Fire Hammer





Nick began to walk toward where Celina was flying when Vanessa shouted, “No Nick! Don’t leave me!” Nick looked down at Vanessa sympathetically and said, “Look, get out of here, it’s not safe. I will stop her. Trust me. You are safe as long as you stay away from her and the fire.”

At this, Vanessa looked up at Nick and nodded her head as she wiped away the tears from her eyes. “Now go,” instructed Nick. Vanessa stood up and took off running in the direction of the parking lot.

“Now, as for you,” started Nick looking up at Celina, “I hope you really like fire.” He began to chase after the insanely excited demon. As he began to close the gap between him and the demon, he had a ball of fire form in the palm of his hand. He threw it at Celina who was flying in the sky gleefully starting fires.

The fireball hit Celina’s back leg that had previously been hit by Vanessa’s purse. Celina shouted in pain, turned her head and locked her eyes on Nick. She hissed and began to fly at him. As she approached, she pulled one of her arms back to eventually hit Nick. Nick had both of his arms behind his back. Celina was about to hit Nick when he threw his arms in front of his body and a large blaze of fire erupted and began to engulf Celina.

Celina quickly took to the air and fired back with several fireballs. Nick threw some more at her. All the fireballs hit each other. Behind the bursts of flame, Nick could not see what Celina was doing. As soon as the flames disappeared, Celina came flying at Nick and knocked him to the ground. She swooped around and came again for another attack. This one hit Nick right in the stomach.

Nick stood there inhaling deeply, trying to catch his breath. Celina had knocked the wind out of him. Nick stood there panting with his hands on his knees as Celina came around again and hit him yet again. This time, the blow was against one of his arms. The blow was so strong, it knocked Nick over onto the ground.

Nick lay on the ground grabbing his arm and screaming in pain. He lay there helpless as Celina swooped down and landed a mere ten feet away from him. Celina looked down at him with her fiery red eyes and laughed, “That girl back there gave me a harder time than you did.”

Celina approached and closed the gap completely. She now stood only about two inches from Nick’s defenseless body. She lifted her right leg and placed it on his head. “You know, if I wanted to kill you right now, all I would have to do is press my foot against your head,” stated Celina. “That blow would crack your skull instantly killing you. I know you will die simply because I did this many years ago to other worthless humans who thought they could destroy me, an immortal.

“That is right, you heard me, an immortal. You see, me and my fellow demons all come from a world that is seemingly parallel to yours. There, we rule eternally and without conflict. There is one thing though, we can be killed. But death can only be wrought by a weapon belonging to an immortal.” Celina pressed harder and continued, “Lucky for you though, I do not like to kill my victims immediately,” Celina began to run her foot along his body and said, “I like to torture them!” At this, all her jewelry glowed and a circle of fire soon surrounded them.

The circle of fire was about ten feet tall and was about the size of a backyard pool. Celina was looking up at the sky laughing. Nick seized the opportunity and threw a fireball at her. It hit her chest and immediately, Celina’s laugh transformed into an angry yell.

Celina flapped her somewhat burned wings into the air and floated above the ring of fire. Almost immediately, the circle became tighter and much closer to Nick. The circle of fire was extremely close to him, but it was not close enough for him to catch on fire. Nick felt the heat coming from the flames. Sweat droplets began to roll down his face and his entire body.

“You see,” shouted Celina from above the circle, “Soon, you will be dehydrated and weak. Your body will rid yourself of all the water inside it.” Nick saw her mouth move, but could not make out the words. The fire around him was making too much noise for him to hear Celina’s statement.

After a few minutes standing there and trying to make feeble attempts to hurt Celina, Nick was now wiping his face over and over again to keep the sweat from entering his eyes. Sweat began dripping from all over his body incessantly now. He searched his head for ways to escape without getting hurt.

The idea came to Nick after a few seconds of extreme thought. He realized that all that stopped him from exiting the circle was a thin wall of flame. Nick looked around him and looked at Celina to see where she was staring. He decided he would go forward directly towards the demon.

Nick leaped into the air and soared through the flames. He jumped out of the circle with fire on his clothes and quickly hit the floor and began doing what he had practiced back in Kindergarten. Nick was rolling on the ground rapidly extinguishing the fire.

“What?!?” shouted Celina confused and angry.

“What Celina? Hasn’t anybody tried that before? Let me tell you. I feel really stupid now for staying in that circle for so long. All I had to do was jump out. It was a freakin no brainer,” said Nick taunting Celina.

“Oh you think you are smart don’t you?” asked Celina rhetorically as she flew down and grabbed Nick in one of her arms. She carried him up into the sky with little effort. “Let’s see you escape from an active volcano!”

After she said this, Nick began to struggle even more. He never begged for mercy, he just struggled. It was better, he thought, to die trying to stop her than live by helping her.

Celina quickly closed the distance between them and the volcano. In almost no time, Celina was circling the rim of the volcano. She flew to the center of it after a few turns and threw Nick down into the volcano. As Nick fell helplessly, she screamed, “I want to see you try to get out of this one!”

As Nick fell, his body began to heat up, but the temperature kept getting hotter in different areas because the bubbles of lava began to pop releasing extremely hot air. As he fell, he screamed for help, but no one came. He called the only name that came to his head, “Melanie!” At this, his stone glowed and wings shot out from his back, wings made of fire. When he was about to hit the lava in the volcano, he spread his wings. The rising warm air coming from the volcano sent him soaring into the sky.

“These will definitely come in handy,” said Nick as he rose out of the volcano looking at his new wings. He flapped his wings and soared out of the searing volcano. Once outside he looked around for Celina who had left him there, sure that he would die. As Nick scanned the sky, he realized that there were even more fires breaking out on the island. He squinted his eyes and managed to make out a creature flying over the fire in the distance. He flapped his wings and flew in the direction of the flying creature that was the very cocky and powerful demon, Celina.

He snuck up behind her and put her in a headlock that she would not be able to escape from. “There is no way you could’ve…” started Celina before she was cut off by Nick. “And yet, I am here holding you in a headlock with you at my mercy,” stated Nick emphasizing the word my. He let her go with a push.

Nick continued saying, “I am not like you, I will give you a fair fight, but if you lose…” Celina’s eyes brightened and Nick stared into them. It seemed as though a fire was burning within them.

Celina flew at him at full speed. She went to hit Nick, but he dodged and she ended up burning her arm as it went through his wings of fire. She rapidly recovered and flipped her body in midair wrapping her legs around Nick’s head. Celina squeezed and Nick cringed with pain.

She flipped her body and threw her legs towards the ground. Nick fell, his body whipping insanely unable to control himself because of his lack of flight experience. He hit the ground with his wings hitting first. His wings were so scorching hot that as they touched the asphalt, it began to melt cushioning Nick’s fall.

Nick was not hurt by the fall, but definitely stunned. He was stunned just enough time for Celina to come down and throw him into a burning house. In the corner of the house, he looked and saw a family huddled in the corner trying to avoid the fire. Nick immediately took in the seriousness of the situation and the very real danger to everyone else on the island. Many people had already died in the mall. He could not afford to let anyone else die.

“Fire, cease to exist and stop burning the walls you are burning!” shouted Nick from inside the house. With rather speed, he exited the house and the fires burning around the island all began to dwindle and disappear.

Once outside, he turned around and looked at the front door of the house he was just in and watched as the people living in it ran out. He smiled knowing he had saved them. Nick soon remembered Celina and turned around to face her.

To his surprise she was right behind him, only a mere inches away. She mockingly, “Aw, touching isn’t it. There you go, the little hero saving the world from me and the destruction I cause.” She swiftly lifted her arms over her auburn hair covered head and slammed her arms into Nick’s left arm, the same one which she had hit earlier.

Nick cried out in pain and fell to the ground yet again. “You may be able to stop a few simple fires,” shouted Celina to Nick as he fell to the Earth, “but what will you be able to do in order to stop a volcanic eruption from engulfing this entire island?”

Celina flew directly towards the volcano and landed out of Nick’s eyesight. “I have to stop her,” said Nick slowly as he climbed up from the ground. He stood up, with his left arm holding his right one and flew towards the volcano. “I cannot let her do that,” he said to himself as he flew there.

After he said that, his heart began pumping harder and his lungs were breathing deeper. He looked down at his stone and saw now that the spikes were smooth and that hanging below the stone was a little hammer hanging by a very small thin chain. He looked up towards the volcano and saw tons of debris and ash flying into the air. A small rock landed on his shoulder. He picked it up and his stone glowed temporarily blinding him. When he looked at his hand, he was now holding the top of an obscenely large hammer. He grabbed it by the base and saw that tons of ash was coming at him and the rest of the island.

He held up the hammer and swung and the ash. Immediately a searing heat soared in the direction of the ash and it simply evaporated the ash. It went immediately from a solid into a gas without becoming a liquid first.

Celina felt the heat coming at her. She turned around slowly from the top of the volcano and stood facing Nick who was flying at her rapidly with the large hammer in his hands. Celina’s eyes widened for just about a second. Hurriedly, she turned around to the volcano and raised her hands in the air.

Nick stared at her as he approached. He saw that every piece of jewelry on her body was glowing brightly. As he got closer he realized that her entire body was shaking as well. Soon, he realized that she was forcing the lava from the volcano to rise up towards the rim. That way, she could eventually send a massive eruption of lava into the sky.

Nick flapped his wings powerfully and swung with his hammer at Celina. He hit her between her wings.
Celina sent out a cry of pain as she was sent flying across the volcano. Nick noticed that she was going to continue flying and miss the lava completely, so he caught up to her before she went of the other side and locked his eyes with hers which were full of hate, rage, and defeat. He hit her again and she fell directly into the lava with a splash several feet high.

Nick turned and flapped his wings until he reached the edge of the volcano. There, he landed and began to lower the lava back into the volcano where it should normally have been. Out of nowhere, Celina leaped out of the lava in a desperate attempt to escape and landed on the rim of the volcano.

Nick walked up to her lifeless body which was covered in many severe burns. He lifted his hammer into the air, closed his eyes, and swung downward. He heard a faint cry but it only last a second. He walked back to the rim and continued lowering the lava.

He turned to see Celina’s body, but in its place were three objects: the Bermuda Tablet piece, a bracelet that belonged to her, and a ring. He lifted up all three objects at once, but they all dissolved and scattered across the sky.

Nick flew down from the volcano and headed towards the parking lot of the mall. There he found Vanessa leaning up against her car on the floor with her knees to her chest. She was still crying. Nick looked down at her and said, “It’s over. It is all over. She is gone.”

Vanessa looked up at him and said, “Yea, everything is gone.” Vanessa lifted her finger and pointed to the mall and then moved it to show everything in her eyesight. “It’s all gone. Everything…”

Nick squatted down next to her and said, “Call me if you every need anything and I will be here to help. Alright?” Vanessa looked up at him and slowly, very slowly nodded her head. Nick turned around and flew back in the direction of the Bermuda Temple.
© Copyright 2005 RASM (UN: rasm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RASM has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/384495