*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/384801-Skills--inspiration
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #1031057
My thoughts on everything from albacore tuna to zebras
#384801 added November 8, 2005 at 8:00pm
Restrictions: None
Skills & inspiration
Today was a good day. I spent the last couple of weeks tied to a PC, building a PowerPoint for my boss to present at a conference in Houston this week. He left yesterday. Today I headed out in the field, a beautiful Pennsylvania Autumn morning. Met up with an Inspector and a water quality specialist and together we spent the morning looking at wetlands and stream crossings. I got a chance to use skills in species and soil identification I haven't used in awhile. Felt good. Also felt good to teach the new guys something and the inspector taught me a few things as well.

I don't ever want to stop learning. There is so much out there, so much exciting stuff, so much interesting stuff, that sometimes I get sad knowing I will never have time to learn it all. Life is too short.

I get the love of learning from my parents. My dad is 90 and he still gets excited when he learns something new or finds the solution to a problem. My mom is 81 and beginning to suffer from the onset of Alzheimers. Still, I see her struggle to remember and to pass on the things she has learned and experienced in her life. They truly have been one of my major influences and inspirations. I know their time is short and I have been extremely lucky to have them in my life as long as I have, but I can't bear to think of not having them here.

The other major influence in my life has been my wife, Linda. We have been married 15 years, and while we have suffered some painful experiences in our journey, they have only served to make us stronger and more committed to each other. I did not understand what love was until I met her. She was the one that opened my eyes to life and love and who ultimately broke through the writing wall that I had been hiding behind for almost thirty years. I am lucky. More lucky that I deserve.

Boy has this turned sappy.

It was a good day. I saw hawks and deer and I laughed. Laughter is good. I am recharged now. Good night everyone.

 How do you feel about your writing?  (E)
Do you and your readers agree/disagree on your best stories?
#795405 by Rasputin


 Pick Your Prompt  (18+)
Do you like to write to prompts?Have a prompt contest? This is the place for you.
#819961 by Rasputin

Sig made for me by Melissa
Rasputin fishing

~~Image #4000 Sharing Restricted~~
RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.

© Copyright 2005 Rasputin (UN: joeumholtz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rasputin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/384801-Skills--inspiration