*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387569
by RASM
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1028702
First book in a series about 8 teens who find stones allowing them to control nature.
#387569 added November 25, 2005 at 11:31am
Restrictions: None
The Demon Jennifer
Chapter 18

The Demon Jennifer





“I am sorry Kimera, but you are no man. Andrew killed that hyena. You still have to kill one,” said Cashma taunting his little brother. Kimera looked up at Cashma and pushed his brother seeming to be annoyed.

“Kimera! Cashma! Be quiet,” ordered the witchdoctor of the Samburu people, “Look now at the sky. Do you two warriors notice anything unusual?” Kimera nearly leaped for joy. The witchdoctor had called him a warrior. He immediately spoke without thinking, “There are clouds!”

Cashma nearly fell from the hay he was sitting on in laughter. “Kimera, you real stupid! Clouds are always in the sky! Ha, ha, ha!” The witchdoctor looked at Cashma and shook his head. “Cashma, do you not find this strange?” asked the witchdoctor.

Cashma looked at the witchdoctor puzzled. He was about to answer with something when Kimera jumped in saying, “We are in the dry season right now.” The witchdoctor smiled and said, “Exactly. The rains came already. They should not be back until much later, and yet there are many dark clouds in the sky.”

“What of it? So what, there is some leftover rain, no big deal,” said Cashma. The witchdoctor shook his head again shaking the silk flower on his headpiece, “This is not normal. Something else is at work. It may be good, or it may be evil.”

“What do you mean?” asked Kimera of the witchdoctor curiously. The witchdoctor kept his face serious and looked straight out into the savanna. He said, “I believe it is evil and there will be a battle. Our tribe is small and we have few warriors. You two need to step up and help defend our village.”

The two brothers stared at him. They understood what he said, but they had no idea what was going to happen. They were about to step into a dark room, blindfolded, and not knowing what was in there, try to fight it. “I will defend the village!” proclaimed Cashma heroically. Kimera stood up next to him and said, “I will help defend the village too.”

Cashma followed by Kimera ran towards their hut to get their spears. “Do not seek the evil,” said the witchdoctor as they ran off, “The evil will find you. Do not go in search of it. Instead be prepared to face it.”

Cashma entered the hut and grabbed two spears. He handed one to his brother and kept the other for himself. “When it comes, we will be ready,” stated Cashma. “Go patrol the other side of the village with some dogs. I will do the same on this side,” ordered Kimera. Cashma nodded his head in agreement and headed off.

Kimera looked up at the sky as he began to walk to his side of the village and noticed that the clouds became increasingly larger, darker, and more numerous. After a few short minutes he reached the edge of the village. He stood with the dogs and looked “out into the bush. As far as they could see, there was nothing unusual going on besides the clouds increasingly numbers. Kimera began to walk around the perimeter with the dogs. After walking for a while, Kimera noticed something moving in the bushes. He ordered the dogs to be quiet and he slowly approached.

From the bushes leaped a hyena. Its teeth were bared and it snarled. Kimera fell back and ordered his dogs to attack it. As soon as the hyena saw the six dogs, it took off running. “Whew. Thank God,” thought Kimera.

“HELP!” shouted a voice from the other side of the village. “Cashma!” shouted Kimera. He ran quickly to the other side of the village with the dogs. He had to venture into the outskirts of the village in the bush before he found anything. What he found really was something he wishes he hadn’t found.

There on the ground lay his older brother Cashma surrounded by a pack of about twelve hyenas. Kimera rushed to his brother’s side and tried to help him up. Cashma stared up at his younger brother and said, “Leave now. She will get you too.”

“What, who would get me?” asked Kimera confused.

“I will,” said a voice coming from the sky. Kimera looked up and saw a creature with large bat wings coming from its back and bright yellow eyes staring at him. Kimera nearly fell down when he saw it.

“Wha, what are you?” asked Kimera studdering.

“I am Jennifer, the demon of lightning,” said the demon.

“What do you want with our people?” asked Kimera shouting.

“Oh is that what you want to know? Well, I am here to completely wipe out all the people in this region of your world starting with your village and these hyenas are here to help,” stated Jennifer. She lifted her finger at Kimera and said, “Get ‘em!”

The hyenas took off running at Kimera and his brother Cashma. Kimera quickly pulled up his brother and they took off running. “There is no way that the dogs can fight the hyenas,” stated Cashma. “It no matter because they can hold off them from coming to village.”

As soon as they entered the village they began shouting. Every warrior grabbed their spears and awaited the approach of the hyenas and the demon. The shaman immediately ran up to Cashma and asked, “Cashma, what did you see?”

Cashma looked at the shaman and said, “It is a creature unlike any I have seen before. She has brought with her the demon animals that tried to kill Kimera on the day he almost became a man. She has wings, big ones, and she can fly. Her eyes are yellow and she has pale skin with dark hair.”

“It is as I feared,” stated the shaman shaking his head and looking disturbed.

“What is it?” asked Kimera curiously.

“Long ago, years before your parents’ parents’ great grandparents’ existed, a large battle took place. Eight demons like the one you have described fought to destroy the world. Our people were lucky. Only one demon came after us. Much to my fears, it seems like the one you described to me is the same one.”

“What can we do?” asked Cashma hoping for an answer.

“We must try to stop her, but it is pointless. Her powers are great and as the story goes, she killed anyone who tried to stop her, except for one man. With his power, he stopped her and protected us,” said the shaman.

“Who is this man?” asked Kimera.

“We do not know, but it may very well be your American friend, Andrew.”

“Why you think that?” asked Cashma.

“The day after your brother almost died, when he showed us how he could control the great light from the sky, it reminded me of the story I just told you about,” stated the shaman.

“But how is he supposed to get here?” asked Kimera seeming slightly frightened.

“I do not…” started the shaman, but he got cut off. Rushing into the village was a pack of hyenas, about twelve of them. All twelve of the hyenas ran with fresh blood dripping down their faces to the closest man.

Another warrior ran to help out the man fight the hyenas when all of a sudden a shadow was cast over them. He looked up and there floating in the air was Jennifer. She looked down at him with her yellow eyes, pointed her finger at him and said, “I don’t approve of you helping him.”

With that, a bolt of lightning came from her finger and instantly struck the warrior. He fell to the ground with his hair burning from the intense shock of electricity. The shaman rushed over to him and felt his chest. He looked at the brothers and stated, “He is dead.” Complete chaos came over the village. Everyone went running in panic in different directions. Some brave warriors threw their spears at the demon, but they were destroyed by a swipe of her hand.

In the panic, no one went to help the man being attacked by the hyenas and before long, the hyenas left his body with his flesh all torn and cut up by multiple bites. The hyenas left his body, split up, and went after other members of the village.

The hyenas went after anyone, young, old, sick, healthy. It was complete chaos. Kimera and Cashma managed to corral a group of people inside a hut. Once they had the people inside the hut, they guarded the door and killed any hyena that tried to get in. Eventually, Jennifer caught notice of this. She landed and approached the brothers on foot.

“Do you really think you will be able to save them?” asked Jennifer.

“We will die protecting them,” said Kimera.

“Well then, die you shall,” said Jennifer lifting her hands. Electricity began to flow through her hands. You could see individual bolts jumping from finger to finger, then from hand to hand. Cashma threw his spear at her. It hit her in the hand and distracted her putting off the attack.

Kimera seized the opportunity and ran with his spear at the demon. He stabbed her in the stomach with the spear. Jennifer’s face went down to look at the spear. She stared at it for a few seconds and noticed it went a little deep into her gut. She looked up at Kimera and smiled. After smiling at him for a few seconds, she said sarcastically, “Well, isn’t this cute. You tried to save your little friends back there by stabbing me. I never thought anyone would even try to fight me. Well, I guess you have won.” Directly after saying this, she dropped on a knee and then began to make a choking sound. After a few seconds, she fell sideways onto the ground.

“Kimera! We did it! No, you did it! You stopped the demon!” shouted Cashma, “Everybody, you can come out! Kimera killed the demon!” Immediately, people began to emerge from huts and began to gather around the body that now lay lifeless on the ground.

“Cashma,” started Kimera pulling Cashma aside, “I do not think I am the one that was supposed to kill her. Even the shaman said that Andrew was most likely the one that would save us.”

“Don’t worry Kimera, everyone can be wrong. I never doubted you,” said Cashma.

Kimera down at her body again and said, “It still does not seem right. It seemed like it was too easy. She killed the other people with one finger, but she did not even attack me at all.”

“Kimera, stop worrying and celebrate. Trust me, it is all fine,” said Cashma reassuring his brother. Kimera looked over at the demon’s face lying on the dirt and stared for a while at it. Suddenly, a smile appeared on her face and her eyes opened. In almost one sudden movement, her arm reached for the spear in her stomach, pulled it out, stood up, and used it to hit everyone directly around her in their legs.

For a while everyone just stood there staring at her, not moving a single muscle in their body. Jennifer just stood there smiling in the center of the circle. A breeze came a few seconds later and several “THUMP” noises were made. Kimera looked down on floor and saw bodies lying there without legs. She had chopped off everyone’s legs in that immediate area!

Panic broke out people began running everywhere. Jennifer flapped her wings and ignored everyone around her. She flew directly towards Kimera. She landed right in front of him. They locked eyes and stared at each other, not blinking for a while. Jennifer smiled and said laughing, “You really should’ve seen all your faces. You all were so excited that you had “killed” me that you did not even do anything else to make sure I was dead. I’d hate to inform you honey, but none of you will ever be able to kill me, unless, one of you has one of the stones, but it is quite obvious that none of you do.”

“What do you want from me?” asked Kimera with a pugnacious look on his face.

“Oh I really do not want much from you. It isn’t anything really big. It is not much to ask,” said Jennifer.

“What specifically is it that you want from my brother?” asked Cashma extremely seriously.

“I want him dead. I want you dead also, but him more. I want to sever his head and put it on the point of this spear. I want to cut off your arms and feed them to my hyenas. I want to get what is left of your body and hang it upside down on a tree with your legs tied. Then I want to start a fire underneath your hanging body and watch happily as the flames and heat burn your skin. I want to be there watching as your skin peels off and crinkles because of the heat of the flames. I want to see it all with my own eyes and I will enjoy every minute of it,” said Jennifer with an almost insane smile on her face.

“As my American friend Andrew says, BRING IT ON!” exclaimed Kimera. Jennifer leaped into the air and dove at Kimera, who threw a spear at her. She zapped the spear and began to build up electricity in her hands again. She was only inches from his head, when a lighting bolt from the sky struck Jennifer sending her directly to the ground.

“Who dares to interrupt me?!?” shouted Jennifer lifting her head from the dirt.

“Me,” said a voice a distance away.

“Andrew!” shouted Cashma, “Thank goodness you are here.”

“Kimera, Cashma, please step aside. I will take care of her for you two and get her off of your hands,” said Andrew with a somber look on his face. Kimera and Cashma bowed their heads and ran off to go help the other villagers that were still alive and those that were injured.

“So, you are the one that is supposed to stop me,” stated Jennifer curiously inspecting her adversary.

“Yep, it’s me,” said Andrew with a slight grin on his face.
© Copyright 2005 RASM (UN: rasm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RASM has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387569