*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387573
by RASM
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1028702
First book in a series about 8 teens who find stones allowing them to control nature.
#387573 added November 25, 2005 at 11:31am
Restrictions: None
Lightning Axe
Chapter 19

Lightning Axe





Andrew stood there and stared into Jennifer’s hypnotizing eyes. They were silent and stared at each other for a while until Jennifer broke the silence asking, “Well are you just going to stare at me all day, or will you try to kill me?”

“You know what, I think it would be better if we fought somewhere else,” stated Andrew looking around him at the village.

“Why do you say that? A good fight could be fought anywhere. Why not here?” asked Jennifer seeming slightly annoyed.

“It’s just that if I fought here, I would be holding back so as not to hurt anyone else and I do not think you want to win against someone who really is not doing their best,” stated Andrew.

“So you just want to give me a good fight then?” asked Jennifer curiously.

“Basically, yes. I mean, really, when was the last time you had a good fight? You have always won no contest right?” asked Andrew flattering the demon.

“That is pretty true. The last time I lost was only because I got distracted. Fine, I agree. We will move off into the savanna and we will fight there, to the death,” said Jennifer.

“That is all I asked for,” responded Andrew. Jennifer took off flying into the savanna. Andrew trailed behind her on foot. As he walked, he added to himself, “Now what the hell am I going to do. She is going to beat me to the ground.”

After while had passed, Jennifer stopped flying and landed on the ground. Andrew turned around and noticed that they were quite a distance from the village. “So, human, what is your name?” asked Jennifer surprising Andrew.

“My name is Andrew. Why do you want to know?” asked Andrew back in curiosity.

“Just a little bit curious,” stated Jennifer. “Are you sure that you do not want me to go easy on you?” she asked.

“Look demon, I promised you to not hold back and I suggest you do the same. Otherwise, you will be facing some serious problems.”

“Oh so the little human is a little pompous. Are you sure you will be able to beat me Andrew, even if I hold back?” asked Jennifer mockingly.

“Well, are you sure you want to chance it? Cause it seems like you had a bit of a problem with that lightning bolt that hit you back at the village.” Andrew looked at the demon as if he were sizing her up. He then looked at her eyes and noticed that they were widening. He stared at them a little bit more and he thought he saw little jolts of electricity jumping around within each eye.

“Fine then, I will not hold back,” agreed Jennifer. She immediately lifted her finger, pointing it at Andrew. A lightning bolt shot from the tip of her finger and straight at Andrew. Andrew immediately raised his hands in front of him. His stone glowed and from the palms of his hands two bolts of lightning shot out and met up with Jennifer’s bolt. The three bolts collided and they all disappeared.

“Oh this will be interesting. This will be very interesting,” said Jennifer to herself getting a little bit excited. Jennifer leaped into the air and immediately began flapping her wings. She began to fly towards Andrew at an amazing speed. “I bet you didn’t count on me moving this fast,” stated Jennifer.

“You must be pretty stupid to forget that lightning is even faster,” said Andrew. He held out both his hands. His stone glowed and from his palms shot out large lightning bolts. The first one missed Jennifer, but the second one hit her abdomen. She immediately hit the ground and began to roll over and over again. Andrew saw the opportunity and seized it.

He began to throw balls of electricity at Jennifer as she rolled on the ground. He was able to hit her about five times before she stopped rolling. She lay there for about a second and then pushed herself up off the ground. Jennifer stood up slowly and a bit disoriented. Andrew looked at her face and noticed that it appeared rather beat up. Her lip was even bleeding.

“You really shouldn’t have done that. Now you pissed me off and many people know that when I get pissed off, things get ugly,” said Jennifer.

“Yea I noticed, I mean look at you. I think you definitely qualify for ugly now,” responded Andrew holding back a laugh.

“Cute. Well aren’t you just the funniest thing. If you want a good laugh, then I’ll give you something to laugh about!” Jennifer immediately spread her wings and soared into the sky. She began to fly in circles around Andrew quite rapidly. Andrew tried to hit her with electric balls, but he missed every time. After Andrew threw the eighth ball and missed, Jennifer threw one of her own at him. It hit him in the back and he immediately fell to his knees in pain.

“How does that feel? Does it feel good? You want some more? Well either way, you are going to be getting some more!” exclaimed Jennifer while she was still flying in circles around Andrew. Andrew managed to lift his head and he looked at the sky. He noticed that all the clouds were being pulled to center around the area they were at. Andrew slowly began to stand up when Jennifer threw another one that hit his chest. His heart began to contract uncontrollably and he fell to the ground. “Oh are you having a minor heart attack now? Ha!” she began to laugh uncontrollably which caused her to stop flying. “Doesn’t it suck to be a mortal?” She began to laugh some more. “Don’t worry though Andrew, it will wear off soon. I am just being like a cat right now, toying with my prey before I kill it.”

After a few seconds, Andrew’s heart began to beat normally and he managed to stand up. He looked at Jennifer and noticed she was laughing and looking up at the sky. “Isn’t it amazing Andrew? Aren’t these clouds beautiful?”

“I don’t give a damn!” shouted Andrew as he threw an electric ball at Jennifer. She saw it coming and threw one back at it causing the two to cancel each other out. “AARGH!” shouted Andrew as he threw another one.

“Well someone is a bit moody today,” said Jennifer sarcastically. She threw another one of her electric balls causing Andrew’s to disappear. “I can do this all day, so why don’t you just stop and listen for a second!” suggested Jennifer, “Now if you will look at the clouds you will notice that they are thunderstorm clouds right?”

“Right,” responded Andrew, “but why should I care?”

“Boy, soon enough you will know. Thunderstorm clouds are full of electricity forming from water rising up and down within the clouds. These thunderstorm clouds will be the cause of you death,” stated Jennifer.

“Really, you don’t say,” said Andrew sarcastically.

“I’ll show you,” said Jennifer. She lifted her left hand above her head. All the jewelry on her body glowed and from her index finger shot a large bolt of electricity into the clouds. Almost immediately, the clouds began to light up and thunder began to roar. Jennifer retracted her hand and waited a few seconds. “What is she doing?” asked Andrew to himself.

Jennifer raised both her hands above her head. The jewelry on her body began to glow along with her eyes now. She clapped her palms together and began to pull them apart slowly. Another ball of electricity began to form in between her palms, but it was about triple the size of the other ones she had thrown earlier. She looked at Andrew in the eyes, smiled, and threw it into the cloud.

Soon after it entered into the cloud, lightning bolts began to strike the ground uncontrollably. Andrew was in shock. He had no idea anyone could do that. He looked at Jennifer straight into the eyes. He threw a ball of electricity at her, but a lightning bolt struck it causing it to disappear. He threw another one at her, but this one got struck by a lightning bolt too and it disappeared.

Andrew lifted his palm and shot a lightning bolt at Jennifer, but it was almost immediately intercepted by a lightning bolt from the cloud. He looked over at Jennifer and she mouthed the word “sorry” to him and began to laugh. “Well you know what? If it is a fight you want, then it is a fight you are going to get!” exclaimed Andrew. He added to himself, “And sometimes sacrifices have to be made.”

“What do you think you are going to do? You are powerless, completely powerless,” stated Jennifer laughing.

“Not quite,” said Andrew as he began to lift his arms above his head. In between his hands a ball of electricity began to form. It was about the size of the one Jennifer had thrown into the cloud. “What do you think you are doing?!?” shouted Jennifer, “You’ll kill us both!”

“Well don’t you sound a little bit scared. I guess I should throw this into the cloud,” said Andrew as he threw the ball of electricity into the cloud. The ball of electricity entered the cloud. Andrew and Jennifer both stood there looking up at the cloud. It began to light up and the thunder that came from it shook the trees nearby.

From the cloud came a single large lightning bolt that struck Andrew. He instantly fell to the ground. “Ha, ha, ha!” laughed Jennifer, “The idiot killed himself! He killed himself!”

Andrew lay there motionless on the ground. His mind was racing. He was still alive, but he didn’t understand how he survived. He reached down to his stone and began to rub it in his fingers. He suddenly realized that the claw-like structure holding his stone in place was no longer sharp. He continued to rub it and realized that it was still there, but that it had smoothed out. He felt small ridges along the smooth parts.

Andrew slowly stood up and began looking at the smooth part holding his stone in place. It looked as though the structures holding the stone in place had changed from knife like to feather like.

“WHAT?!? How can you still be alive?” asked Jennifer looking somewhat amazed. Her jaw just stayed open. “Well I guess I shut you up. For your information, I really do not know how I lived, but I did. I guess I just trusted my stone. My will to win must be stronger than yours and I will stop you!” explained Andrew. His stone began to glow ad infintum. The feather like structures holding his stone in place retracted somewhat outward from the stone.

“What the!” exclaimed Jennifer. “You seem a little scared of me. What is it now?” asked Andrew. Jennifer shook her head shaking off the fear and flew at Andrew. Andrew ran at her, but he suddenly realized that he was swooped up into the air by something. He turned his head to look over his shoulder and saw that he had a pair of large yellow wings engulfed by electricity.

Andrew turned his head to look forward at Jennifer, but she was no where in sight. “Confused?” asked a voice above him. Andrew quickly looked up, but it was too late. She smacked him across the face disorienting him for nearly two seconds, but it was a second too long. She raised her index finger at him and a large lightning bolt shot out at him. “AHH!” shouted Andrew in pain as his body fell to the ground.

His body landed with a loud thump. Andrew ached with pain all over his body. Jennifer flew down and landed next to him. She began to walk towards him. She lifted her leg and pushed it into his stomach. Andrew reacted in pain flinching. She then got on her knees with one on each side of his body. She then placed her hands on his neck and began to push into his flesh. “I am not going to take any more chances with you. It is over. Your time is up,” said Jennifer.

Andrew began to lose sight of what was around him. Out of nowhere came a roar. Jennifer was thrust off of Andrew’s body. It took Andrew a few seconds to lift his head to see what was happening, but nothing would’ve prepared him for what he saw. On the ground, only a few feet away from him lay Jennifer with a lioness on top of her trying to bite her neck.

“Get off of me you rabid beast!” shouted Jennifer trying to get the lioness off of her. She let out a cry and Andrew noticed that the lioness took off one of her fingers. The finger lay on the ground about two feet away from Jennifer and the lioness. The lioness instantly jumped off of Jennifer and put its front paw on top of the finger which had a ring on it. “NO!” shouted Jennifer.

The ring instantly dissolved into tiny particles and entered the lioness through the nose, ears, and mouth. The lioness turned to face Andrew and looked at him straight in the eyes. Andrew looked back into the powerful yellow eyes of the lioness and noticed that the eyes were like Jennifer’s eyes, seemingly bursting with electricity. “Thank you,” mouthed Andrew and the lioness ran off.

“Do you realize what you have just done?” demanded Jennifer.

“Yea, I just got saved by a lioness. And now what I am going to do is stop you,” said Andrew in response. He grabbed a sharp rock that was on the ground and flew at Jennifer. As he was flying, a bright yellow light erupted from his stone. He continued flying and looked at the rock he had held in his hand. It had changed shape and now instead of holding a rock, he was holding a double sided axe with electricity jumping at the two blades.

Jennifer jumped into the air and flew at Andrew. She shot lightning bolts at him from her eyes, but he stopped them with a quick swipe of his new axe. Jennifer landed on the ground and stood there seemingly awaiting death. Andrew stopped flying and landed in front of her.

“Why are you just standing there?” asked Andrew slightly confused.

“What, you’re just not going to kill me? Get it over with! You won. I accept death now just kill me already. It is not like I have not died before, just do it!” exclaimed Jennifer.

Andrew walked over to her and rubbed her cheek softly. “You fought well,” he said as he raised his axe. He stepped back and swiped with his axe. There was a thump as Jennifer’s head fell to the ground and began to roll. Her body then collapsed under its own weight. Her head and body then began to dissolve into several tiny particles. The particles formed a yellow cloud in the air, but they quickly scattered.

“You stopped her Andrew!” shouted a voice from behind him. Andrew turned his head and saw Kimera jumping up and down in excitement with Cashma standing behind his shoulder.

“I would not have done it without the help of this one lioness,” explained Andrew as they walked back to the village.

“Wait, you are saying that a lioness helped you stop the demon?” asked Cashma curiously.

“Yea, it was really strange. The demon was choking me and I was just starting to black out when the lioness jumped her and began to attack her. It was almost as if she was protecting me because after she bit off Jennifer’s finger, I looked at her and nodded and then she just walked away,” stated Andrew.

“Hmm, that seems unusual,” stated Kimera.

“Yes, but remember Kimera, there is a lioness around here that has been known to protect antelope calves. She does not eat them, but rather she protects them from other lions,” explained Cashma.

“That must be the same lioness,” thought Andrew aloud. “Well I am so sorry for the loss of your people, but I must go now to stop the one who released the demon.”

Kimera and Cashma nodded in understanding. “Wait, Andrew!” shouted Kimera as Andrew began to fly off. Andrew stopped and turned his head. “Yea,” he responded. “What happened to your stone? It looks different,” asked Kimera. Andrew looked down and noticed that his stone had changed a bit. Not only had the structures holding the stone in place changed shape, but now a charm was hanging from a small chain beneath the stone.

The charm looked a lot like the axe that Andrew was currently holding on to. As he looked at it, he realized that it was extremely shiny as well. “Oh, I think it changed as I changed. When I got my wings, the parts that used to be sharp that held my stone in place became smooth. I guess this little charm thing appeared when I got this lightning axe,” guessed Andrew showing the details to them.

“I see, no go on Andrew and save the rest of the world,” said Cashma encouragingly.

“I will do my best,” said Andrew as he jumped into the sky and began to flap his wings for altitude. After getting enough altitude, he headed southwest back to the Bermuda Temple to fight and kill David.
© Copyright 2005 RASM (UN: rasm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RASM has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387573