*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388143
by RASM
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1028702
First book in a series about 8 teens who find stones allowing them to control nature.
#388143 added November 25, 2005 at 11:33am
Restrictions: None
Wind Mace
Chapter 26

Wind Mace





Bobby walked into the forest with Stephanie close at hand. Both of them withdrew their wings, but Stephanie held on to her staff. They walked slowly and cautiously knowing that around any corner may be lying Peter waiting to kill them both. “Stephanie, we should split up. If Peter is hunting us, it is better that he only get one of us and not both,” said Bobby decisively.

“Whatever you say Bobby, it’s your call…” said Stephanie. At this, they split up. Bobby walked deeper into the forest and Stephanie walked to the right staying closer to the outskirts of the forest. After about ten minutes, they were completely out of each other’s sight.

Bobby walked slowly and carefully through the forest so as not to attract too much attention to himself. He was constantly looking over his shoulder and peering to his sides to see if anyone was around him. He watched his step making sure to not make any unnecessary noises.

As he continued to walk he heard a loud yell. “AAAHHHHH!” He heard it again. He released his wings and began to flap mercilessly toward the screaming. Bobby dodged in between the thick foliage and soon enough, he saw a large animal with wings protruding from its back and large talons for front legs. Its rear legs were those of a strong muscular lion. He recognized it at once. It was Peter in his griffin form.

At this sight, Bobby sped up and saw Stephanie jumping at Peter with her staff and trying to land a powerful blow on the creature’s body. As Bobby entered the scene, he flew across the creatures head and hit it across the face with his fist. Peter barely flinched, “Man, I think that hurt me more than it hurt him,” thought Bobby. Again he witnessed Stephanie flying through the air trying to hurt the demon with her staff, only this time she was swatted by one of his talons and thrown to the ground.

Bobby landed next to Stephanie and noticed the large gash across her body. She was losing blood and quickly. Bobby thought quickly and came up with an idea that might work. “Stephanie,” he started, “you are never going to defeat the demon with your staff and wings. You need to morph into something big and powerful.”

Stephanie lifted her head slightly and dropped her head. Her wings and staff disappeared and her body began to grow. Her body began to get covered in brown fur. Her head grew long horns and bone began to thicken around her skull. Her hands turned into hoofs. Soon after that she finished her morph.

Bobby flew in and attacked the demon with swift flying movements and gusts of wind. He successfully knocked down the demon when Stephanie in an African cape water buffalo morph began to charge straight at him. Stephanie ran at twenty miles per hour directly toward the griffin. Bobby floated in the air above the demon and created a never ending powerful wind that kept the demon stuck on the ground, or so he thought.

Peter slowly began to fight the wind and stand up. Just as Peter was lifting his head to look at Bobby, he saw something else. He saw Stephanie run at him and collide with his front talon crippling him. Stephanie then began to run to his back legs to cripple him further when Peter’s other talon swiped through the fur on her back and knocked Stephanie to the ground.

Bobby quickly ordered a gust of wind to push the demon away from Stephanie’s body. He then rushed to Stephanie who was quickly becoming human again and held her body in his arms. Their eyes locked and Stephanie leaned up and kissed him. After the kiss, Bobby said to Stephanie, “Thank God you survived that. I do not know what I would do without you.”

Bobby helped her up and as Stephanie straightened up, a large object came hurtling at Stephanie’s head. She fell to her knees. Her body fell forward, face flat into the soil where they had just kissed. Bobby looked at her in utter horror. He looked up and saw Peter standing up again. His tail, which was that of a lion, had been the object that hit Stephanie over the head.

“You killed her…” started Bobby at a loss for words.

~One down, one to go,~ said Peter with a grin forming from his beak.

“I am going to kill you,” swore Bobby with a very grave look on his face, “and it is going to be the most painful thing imaginable for you.”

“RRRREEEEAAAA!” shrieked Peter’s griffin body as it charged toward Bobby with amazing speed and grace. Bobby sent a gust of wind at it. His wings appeared and he flew off into the sky. Peter was slowed, but leaped into the air and began to fly after Bobby effortlessly. Bobby flapped his nearly invisible wings as fast as he could.

He stopped and turned to face Peter. His face was now sweating and his heart racing faster with every passing moment. He flapped his wings and flew directly toward Peter who was continuing to chase Bobby. ~You imbecile, you will never be able to stop me. You will die just like your friend down there,~ said Peter.

Bobby ignored the statement and continued to fly at Peter. Bobby spread his wings wide and stared directly into the eyes of the griffin. Bobby stopped just a few feet in front of Peter and began to flap his wings, but not moving. He extended his arms and his stone glowed.

From the clouds above him, a tornado touched down on the forest floor. It slowed Peter and began to pull him into its raging winds. “It is not enough…” stated Bobby hopelessly and angrily. His stone glowed again and a second tornado touched down and began to approach the demon. Peter got sucked into the second tornado but managed to slip out after a few seconds.

Bobby smirked and a third tornado touched down in the immediate area. All three of the tornadoes were swirling amongst each other trying to each engulf Peter’s griffin body. Peter made a desperate attempt to escape and flew in between two of the tornadoes, but one of his wings went through a tornado and it cracked. The bones in it shattered and the griffin body began to fall down to the earth.

Bobby flew down catching up to the falling and quickly changing griffin. Bobby created a small gust of wind and with it pushed the demon into the third tornado. Peter was returning to his normal form, but was being tossed around within the tornado. Bobby flew in after him. As he flew through the tornado, he wasn’t harmed or fazed at all by the extremely fast winds of the twister. He quickly caught up to Peter and noticed he wasn’t doing all that well. He was still in the process of changing forms, and was being brutally damaged by the flying debris in the tornado.

Bobby flew down with wings spread and flew past Peter hitting him only with his wing left wing. Peter was sent flying at an even faster rate throughout the tornado after this. “That is definitely a good surprise. These wings are made out of hurricane force winds. Definitely a good thing,” said Bobby for things were finally starting to look up.

Bobby flew out of the tornado and left Peter to his doom. He began to fly back to where he left Stephanie. As he was flying he looked back and suddenly felt a searing pain in his arms. He let out a cry of pain and looked up.

In awe Bobby stared at the face of a large eagle. He looked at his arms and saw large talons wrapped around them. The nails were piercing his skin and he was beginning to bleed.

~Did you really think you would be able to kill me that easily?~ asked Peter as he tightened his grip around Bobby’s arms. Bobby began to squirm and try to find a way to get out of the griffin’s grip.

All of a sudden, he felt a sharp pain along his back. Peter had begun to scratch Bobby with his free back legs of a lion. Peter did this repeatedly. After six times, he kicked Bobby’s back and released him from the talons’ grip.

Bobby’s body fell; he was exhausted and could not move. He had lost so much blood that he was beginning to faint. He fell through the sky falling faster with each second. Bobby fell through the treetops and hit several branches on the way down.

When he landed, he turned his head to see where he was. Bobby barely managed to make out what was around him, but he saw another body. It was a girl. She lay soundless and motionless only a few feet from him. He focused as hard as he could to see who it was. It suddenly hit him. It was Stephanie. He had fallen where Stephanie had lost her life.

The ground shook under Bobby. He turned his head and saw the griffin that was Peter began to walk up to Stephanie’s corpse. Peter lowered his head and sniffed the body. He stretched out one of his talons and pulled Stephanie’s body closer to him. “No…” Bobby managed to whisper. He tried to lift himself up, but he only fell. His world suddenly went black.

“You need to save her,” said a voice coming from the darkness.

“What, who are you?” demanded Bobby.

“That is not important,” said the voice again. Bobby opened his eyes, but all he saw was nothingness, dark empty space. “What is important though, is that you stop the demon. There will be no way to bring her back if she is gone…”

Bobby opened his eyes suddenly and was lying on the ground of the forest near Stephanie’s body. He felt as though his body was fine. He felt rejuvenated. Only then did he look at his stone and noticed that is was glowing incredibly brightly.

Under his stone, he saw a small chain that led to a small stick with a spiked ball on the end of the stick. Bobby stood up and as he did, his right hand picked up a twig and a small rock.

The little charm hanging from his stone began to glow. The stick and rock that he had in his hand were replaced by a mace about the size of a baseball bat. He examined it and looked back at Stephanie’s body. Peter was pulling her body by her left leg.

“Leave her alone!” ordered Bobby. Peter looked at him puzzled and dropped Stephanie’s body.

~Bring it on!~ shouted the demon at Bobby. Bobby rushed the demon and let a gust of wind bring up dust that blurred the griffin’s vision. Bobby ran through the smog and lifted his weapon. He slammed it through the air. It made contact and Bobby heard a whelp.

He went to strike again, but he did not make contact. Bobby looked at the sky and noticed that Peter had tried to make a breakaway. Bobby’s wings quickly appeared and he took off after the demon.

Bobby flew smoothly over the griffin that was roughly twice his height and length. Bobby dove at the demon and smacked it with his mace. The demon let out a cry of pain but continued to fly. Bobby landed on the griffin’s back and pulled the mace out of its flesh making the wound even bigger.

Peter tried to shake Bobby off by tilting his body so that it was parallel to the ground, but Bobby only hit the demon with his mace as hard as he could and held on. Bobby flew off of the griffin’s back and flew beneath it.

Peter clawed at Bobby with his talons, but each stretch of a talon was met with a strike from Bobby’s mace. Bobby flew directly underneath Peter’s body and swung at the demon’s chest from the right side. The blow was so powerful that Peter was sent tumbling towards the ground.

Bobby re-summoned the three tornadoes and Peter was picked up by one of them before he was even able to hit the ground. Once inside the tornado, Peter began to try going back into his original form, but he was exhausted and almost dead. As Peter was changing back, Bobby flew through the tornado and delivered a powerful blow. After delivering the blow, Bobby flew out of the tornado almost as mysteriously as he entered.

He continued this cycle over and over again; rushing in and out of the tornado delivering painful blows to Peter. Peter finally was in his normal form and barely made it out alive out of the tornado.

Waiting outside was Bobby. Bobby lifted his mace and swiped at Peter. Peter lifted his hand and grabbed the mace before he was hit with it. “You will not win…” said Peter struggling to keep the mace from smashing in his face.

“Peter,” started Bobby, “It was over before it even started. It was over as soon as you decided to kill Stephanie. It was over as soon as you decided to kill Rebecca. It was over as soon as David summoned you. You never stood a chance.”

When he finished his sentence, Bobby kicked arms and when Peter released his grip, he swung with his mace hitting the demon in the neck. Peter fell, fell straight toward the earth.

He landed with a “thump”. Bobby landed on the ground. He released his weapon causing it to disappear and he ordered his wings be gone. Bobby noticed that Peter landed within a few feet of where Natalie fell, the only thing was that Natalie’s body was no longer there. Instead, there was a tablet piece and two pieces of jewelry that had belonged to her. Bobby touched the bracelet and ring, but both instantly turned into small particles and scattered in the air like a swarm of bees.

Bobby picked up the tablet piece and stared at it when he heard, “So you were able to beat him without any help?” Bobby turned and saw the figure of a girl in the shadows of the trees.

“Who’s there?” demanded Bobby. The person stepped out of the shadows and much to Bobby’s surprise stood Stephanie. “Wha… What? I though you had died,” said Bobby stuttering.

“Yea, I do not remember anything besides this sharp pain in my neck. I guess he knocked me out cold,” said Stephanie.

“I am just really surprised. I though I lost you back there,” said Bobby. As he said this, Stephanie ran up to him and hugged him tightly in her arms. Bobby returned the hug and turned around to see what had happened to Peter.

All that was left of Peter, like Natalie, was a tablet piece, a bracelet, and a ring. Stephanie picked up the three objects, but stared in confusion when the bracelet and ring scattered into hundreds of small particles and spread out in different directions in the sky.

“Steph, hold onto the tablet piece. We need to head back to the temple and find a way to put a stop to David,” said Bobby opening his wings and taking off toward the temple. Stephanie quickly released her wings and flew after him.
© Copyright 2005 RASM (UN: rasm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RASM has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388143