*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/389282-Cream-of-Tomato-Soup
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Clampy
Rated: E · Book · Food/Cooking · #1039141
Soups are one of my favourite meals to make, as you can practically have anything in them.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#389282 added November 29, 2005 at 5:35pm
Restrictions: None
Cream of Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup is probably the easiest soup to make, and it is also perfect for base of other tomato based soups, such as my favourite Beef, TOmato and Guiness Soup.

The key to this soup is tomatoes, however I prefer to use tinned chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, as I find fresh tomatoes dont have the correct consistency of flavour.

INGREDIENTS

1 onion.
2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree.
1 large tin (400g) Tinned Chopped Tomatoes.
1.5 Pints of Vegetable stock.
1/2 Pint Single Cream
Salt
Pepper.
Plain Flour
Margarine

PREPARATION

The onion needs to be peeled and diced very finely. I find the easiest way to dice an onion is to peel the skin off and leave the root. Cut the onion in half through the centre of the root and with a sharp knife, cut along the onion keeeping the root at the top. Dont not cut completely through the onion, as you then need to cut along the onion in the other direction. The finer you cut, the finer the onion will dice.

Vegetable stock is also easy to make. In a large saucepan, add roughly chopped carrots, celery onions and any other vegetable, but these are the main three. Fill the pan now with water and boil and cook for about 30 minutes. The stock will be perfect now.

METHOD

1. In a large saucepan, sweat off the onion with 1 oz of margarine. To sweat off means to fry without colour.

2. Add 1 oz of Plain Flour to the onion and stir in. The flour acts as a thickener, as it mixes with the margarine to make a rue.

3. Pour in 1.5 pints of the vegetable stock, 2 tablespoons of tomatoes and the tin of chopped tomatoes. Cook for 15 minutes.

4. Season to taste, and pour in 1/2 pint of single cream. The soup now need to cook for a further 10 minutes.

5. The soup should then be blended to a smooth soup. Serve with warm crusty bread.

© Copyright 2005 Clampy (UN: cl.ampy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Clampy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/389282-Cream-of-Tomato-Soup