*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/392739-Interview-worries
Rated: XGC · Book · Personal · #1029400
These are my daily "affirmations"
#392739 added December 15, 2005 at 12:46pm
Restrictions: None
Interview worries
Ok, so in less than an hour I have an interview for a job I really really want. I know what is to be expected- I work for the city and this job is also with the city. They have the same behavioral questions always. here are a few.

1) why did you apply?
2) What are your strengths/weaknesses?
3) Tell us about a situation when you failed/was proud and how you handled it.
4) Why should we hire you?

I get so freaking nervous that I get sweaty and have trouble catching my breath. We can't forget the shakes! But, anyway, I am medicated so i will be fine. (That's what I keep telling myself. I think I will practice my scripted answers before I go though.

1) I applied for this job because throughout the time I'm been with the city I have been expose to code enforcement and been able to gain a base knowledge of what it entails. And from what I've learned, I think that the job would fit me. I'm interested in going out and finding code violations and following through with getting them taken care of-whether that be sending defendents letters or appearing in court after I've written a ticket, verifying that the defendent has done nothing to comply. Like I said, I think it's a good fit for me and I think that I have the skills to do the job well.

2) why leave current job? The primary problem that I've found I have with intake which makes me look for better opportunities is that when I first started or when I first applied for the job I considered the rotating shifts and what effect it would have on me. My original thoughts were that I don't have children, I'm young, and I would have no problem changing shifts every month. If I don't like one, I could just wait and it would change. But what I've realized over some time was that while I can do the rotation, I've never been sicker in my life than I have been in this past year. It tears down your immune system. Also, I have decided that I'd like to finish my degree soon, working at intake would not really allow for that. Not to mention, I've started to really miss my husband on the odd shifts.

3) strengths: My biggest strength would be my adaptability. I feel like I can be thrown into a new situation and pick it up very quickly. I've had a pretty varied work history, and I feel like changing from different job styles I've picked up the ability to change and grow in a productive and speedy rate.

b. My other main strength would be my ability to relate to customers (for lack of a better word). I'm at a point now that if a customer approaches the window and I might be immersed in whatever I'm doing, I just flick the switch on. It seems automatic or second nature. It's been a long time since I've felt uncomfortable with any customer, regardless of their attitude or problem.

c. weaknesses: Biggest weakness is that I ask too many questions. The problem with this is that a lot of times when I'm uncertain about a particular rule or procedure, I'll just ask Barbara right quick. (That's what I say to myself to justify it) Even though I think that I can use my discretion, sometimes it might not be the case-maybe I'm unsure of myself, instead of the answer. So, I've been trying to trust myself to make the right decision unless I just don't know the answer and then I'll try to find the solution on my own instead of bothering Barbara.
d. I've been told that I speak over some of the customers. When they are trying to understand what I'm saying I don't break it down in such a way that they can understand. I use the legal terms instead of common everyday words-but I've been trying to pay more attention to people's reactions to what I say and if they seem doubtful I put it in plain simple English

4)Describe something that you've done that you're proud of.

A few months ago, I had this upset mother call telling me about a guy threatening her daughter. She was scared and angry and definitely not happy with how we would handle the threats. She wanted an officer to automatically go and arrest him. I spent some time on the phone with this woman trying to ease her worries and help her find a way to make her feel her daughter was safe. I offered all of the options I could think of and simply tried to have her get off the phone a little less upset than she was before. And when I did get off of the phone, she wasn't .

Shit. The interviewer woman just told me that it was "my time". I'm waiting for my fellow employee to return so I can go. Wish me luck. This has definitely helpd, I know it!

© Copyright 2005 jlofritts (UN: jlofritts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jlofritts has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/392739-Interview-worries