*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/393301-Yet-nother-Fsunday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #933561
I have a few things to say and I am gonna say them here ...
#393301 added December 17, 2005 at 11:07pm
Restrictions: None
Yet 'nother F(s)unday
Hello friends! As is by now my trademark, here I am to write the sporadic blog on a Sunday, the only day when I am able to sit and write in Peace.

My week has been more or less ordinary, but there were a few extraordinary events, and it is these that I will share with you.

Unlike the American system of Medicine where the State can order the treatment of someone who does not wish it to be given, most probably because the "patient" is invalid, mentally unable or spiteful about the treatment, in India, so far there is no rule for the system to retrieve a patient from the community and to give him/her the treatment that is necessary.

One such misunderstanding/error took place last week when I was called to attend a just-delivered baby who had NOT cried at birth. The tragedy is that the child's mother and grandmother had refused permission for a Ceserean section although this was her first delivery and the baby was lying inverted in her womb!

After the ob doctor removed her rump and torso, the head got stuck inside the birth canal for well over thirty minutes. Upon emergence, she failed to breathe or cry at all. Eventually, we gave her oxygen etc and transfered her to the Neonatal ICU for further care. Five days later, the baby is still in deep coma, with no response to painful stimulations and no movement of any limbs etc.

We did a head scan and an EEG, and both show that brain is still alive. So we cannot take her off the breather.

What a sad state of affairs ...

© Copyright 2005 Dr Taher writes again! (UN: drtaher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Taher writes again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/393301-Yet-nother-Fsunday