*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/397753-Slacker
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#397753 added January 8, 2006 at 2:35pm
Restrictions: None
Slacker
Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well, so I messed around and missed making an entry. I hate that. I promised myself that I wouldn't miss a day, but already I have. I took some Alka-Seltzer for my uneasy stomach, and that was all she wrote. When I woke up again, at least to the point that I was coherent enough to realize that I hadn't written, it was after midnight and the day was gone.

Oh well. There's today, and I haven't missed. I don't intend to do that again.

This morning, I'm reading the news- I'm still stuck on the miners in Virginia- and now I'm seeing where some of the men left messages for their families. One man supposedly left an hour-by-hour account of his time down in the shaft. Then I read where the miners may have survived at least ten hours down there before they died.

Do we, the public, need to know any of this? Is it any of our business? Does it change anything?

In my opinion, the whole thing has been sensationalized enough. I think now we need to leave the families of these men to grieve in peace. If messages were left for them, that it to whom they were left. It's a private matter at this point. It's touching to know that they did, but to publish the contents seems a bit intrusive. Maybe the families wanted it known what what was said. If so, if it helps them, then great. But I hope it's not a case of some reporter getting hold of one of the notes and taking the liberty of publishing it for the sake of being first again.

That the men survived for ten hours is speculative in my opinion. The powers that be couldn't get it straight enough to report whether or not the men were found dead or alive. Does it really matter at this point how long they might have been alive down there before being found? The fact remains that twelve did not survive long enough to be found alive.

Regardless of how long they might have been alive after the explosion, twelve men are still being mourned today. If you want to tell me something, tell me how the man is doing that survived. I was happy to read this morning that he seems to be doing better.

I guess my point is that folks should stop trying to sell papers by stretching out the what-ifs for us readers. It only prolongs the anxiety and suffering for the families who lost loved ones.





© Copyright 2006 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/397753-Slacker