*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401148
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1061092
A story about a girl finding her way in life, a very weird school, and odd powers open up.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#401148 added January 22, 2006 at 2:57pm
Restrictions: None
WeirdSchool- Chapter 1
Chapter 1:


When someone asks you “What the meaning of life is?” you most likely will think he just landed next to you from a different planet. But to tell you the truth sometimes that question pops up in my head. Yes, I know, you might think I’m psycho too, but I can’t help thinking that sometimes things just don’t go well for me. Okay, not sometimes, most of the time.


In all my fourteen years of life I don’t think there was something special about me. I have no special talent. I remember in first grade we had to do a self evaluation and one question was, What are you good at? , which I skipped. Even at such a young age I was terribly embarrassed next to the kids who were bragging about things they knew since they were four years old.


Trust me, it did change. I admit I wish the change would have come sooner. You’ll see.


*********



“It was okay, I mean fancy, but whatever….” Vive said lightly. “The President wasn’t exactly amazed to see me for the two hundredth time.”


"I know," I said while putting one of my wet dishes in the sink. I turned to look at her. “But unlike normal people, I didn’t see him even once unless you count that time in 5th grade when he said "hello" to us while we were visiting the white house.”


"Well, we already got to the point where I’m not normal.” Vive said grinning slightly. She knew that she and only maybe a few other girls grew up with a parent who was in the Supreme Court (which isn’t something you see every day seeing as it’s the highest federal court in the United States) and she had all ready gotten used to me going on and on about how lucky she was.


I even have proof of my complaining. I haven’t seen her do a chore –besides cleaning her room- even once since I’ve known her. And I’ve known her for a long time.


Vive’s father was in the Supreme Court since I could remember. Well actually no, but for most of the time he was. He was always a judge though.


We met as three year olds in the New Jersey, Hackensack public pre-school, since Vive’s parents wanted her to get a normal child education. I have no clue what my parents wanted from me as a three year old.


From then on we were, and still are, inseparable. I live in her huge house sometimes and same at my middle sized, phony house. (I haven’t moved all my life….don’t ask.)


“Listen, Dawn when you’re done with the dishes we should go to camp…” Vive said checking her watch hurriedly. It’s almost 7:30 and the party should be starting soon.”


“Oh yeah.” I said. “Sorry, I’m almost done.”




Almost, yeah right.




We left the house at ten to eight running to the Green-log camp site. It was getting dark out and every counselor and her group were setting up their own fire.


“Where are you guys?” shouted at us Kerry, our stubborn yelling counselor who’s edges of her hair were sticking up to every possible place in the air. “We need wood.” She said rushing us up.


It was the last day of camp and every year they end the first term of camp (which was the only term Vive and I agreed on going too) with a big celebration. It’s probably the best part of camp, at least in my opinion.


Vive and I dragged up some wood to where our age group was sitting and started to pace around thrashing wood inside while the flames were getting bigger.


“Well this is what I call a fire.” Said Jack, an annoying ego headed boy from my age group. He said down on the ground comfortably and let a wave of warmth go through him. The rest of the group followed him as well and w all sat there for a while just staring quietly at the flames thinking.


I was so focused in thinking that I found myself in waves of water. I was on a boat and Vive was right next to me telling me to get in. What was going on?! I looked around for a while and then I felt my self being pulled, I screamed. I screamed and screamed until-


“Dawn! Dawn wake up!” Vive said looking at me worriedly while I was sitting on the ground shacking even though I was lying near the fire. “It happened again just calm down…” she whispered to me.


“Oh god…” I said rubbing my forehead. “I feel queasy again.” Vive gently handed me the drink as the whole group sat there staring at me. “Ummm...don’t worry guys I’m fine.” I said assuring them to go back to enjoy themselves.


And like Vive had said it wasn’t the first time this odd scene had appeared to me before. The first time it happened was at the beginning of their sleepover about two weeks ago, around the same time as well. Only Vive and I know about this, I don’t even want to think about what my parents’ reaction would be if I tolled them (like maybe some therapist or something), so I decided to keep it between us.


I wouldn’t call these dreams, but I don’t feel awake when I have them. It feels like am being moved to the boat –wherever it is- and it’s happening to me at that moment. The only reason I know that it’s not real because Vive had tolled me that I hadn’t disappeared while having it.


I don’t know what it is, but I don’t enjoy it either.


It’s at times like these when I know that I’m not normal. I’m not a very optimistic teenager, to tell you the truth and I can’t really describe myself. There are a number of things that I enjoy but not anything interesting or unique. I’m not a unique person and sometimes I think I’m just a lost case of my own. Maybe some day I’ll find the answer to my problems.


*********



Mrs. Aloe was rummaging through her desk in search of her blue ink ball point pen. She was very fond of that pen and was afraid she lost it. After all, she thought to herself, it was Richards old ink pen.


She found the pen between two old folders filled with old parchment in it. She made a privet note to herself that once she was done she should put those folders back were they belong.


She took out ten clear sheets of paper and started to write. She stopped at one point, to think of what she was writing made sense and would continue on, she obviously didn’t want to show that her grammar skills have been a bit weary recently.


There was a knock on the door. “Come in.” said Mrs. Aloe gracefully and watching with her clear light blue eyes to whom was entering her office.


“Oh sorry to bother you Mrs. Aloe but the beds are here. Where should I tell them to put them?” A young lady asked.


“Dear Lucy just tell them to put one in each room it doesn’t matter they are all the same size.” She said waving the unhelpful question off with her hand. “Now please I have to send these letters out by tomorrow so-”


“Yes of course.” Lucy said and walked out of the room.

Mrs. Aloe sighed gratefully that most of the work with the mansion was done and soon the start of the school year would start. It’s been a dream of hers to rebuild it again but it’s hard to get things start in Dynamiserl Island these days again.
Mrs. Aloe sat there, for about two hours copying the first letter to the other nine pages (addressed of course to ten different people). It took her two hours thanks to the rest of the staff who kept entering her room for different questions. They had decided to finish all the preparing they had to do seeing as in another three weeks the school year started and in Dynamiserl Academy it was extra special because it was the first time to be back on it’s feet since 1774, it was what Mrs. Liked to call her far greatest achievement from all the things she’d ever done. (And she did many for such an old lady.)
She slipped each of the letters into large envelopes with some other typed papers included. She addressed each one, licked in a stamp and put them into a pile.
She walked out into the carpeted hallway with the paintings on the walls and smiled. It is good to be home. She admitted to herself while she walked down the marble spiral staircase into another hallway were she met Bob.
“Bill can you please send these out for me dear?” she asked while walking towards him.
“It’s Bob Mrs. Aloe, and yes I’ll send these out.” He said with a forced smile, took the pile and continued walking down the spiral staircase.


The two top letters were addressed to our very own two people, Dawn and Vive.
© Copyright 2006 Witty_Writer (UN: witty_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Witty_Writer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401148