*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401889
by Crazy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1062435
In a post-apocalyptic world, four men build a new nation, an invincible empire.
#401889 added January 24, 2006 at 8:57pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4 - A New Face
“James, there’s a few people out on the road.” Anthony explained. I got up from my desk and grabbed my pistol out of the drawer. “What are they doing? Does it look like they got any weapons or anything?” I asked. “Um, yeah, that’s the funny thing. They’re just standing out there, like four or five of them. One of the men has what looks like a sword.” Anthony replied. “Huh, with all the guns in the world, people feel the need to go back to simple weapons.” I told him. Anthony handed me the claymore, “And what’s your reason for this?” “I guess you got a point” I said as I tossed the pistol to him, “the gun is a last resort, if it comes down to a fight, my sword will be the first to draw blood.”

Anthony and I headed out to the road through the four hundred yard long field. About half way I could tell there was two older men, looking to be in their mid 40s, a woman about the same age, and a younger man and woman, early 20s at the oldest. The man holding the sword stepped forward and headed towards us.

“Keep your mouths shut while I talk to these two. And if you try to run, you’re going to catch a bullet in the back.” The strange man threatened. “Come on Frank, you’ve got the luxury of being my insurance policy.” I walked with this man, who had held us hostage for about a week and a half now, and all I could think was that these two men could help us.

“How’s it going? I’m Evan and this here is Frank.” The strange man said as he shook one of the men’s hands. “Nice to meet you, I’m Anthony Thomas and this is James Freely. Don’t mind the sword, it’s only for our protection, you know. So what can we do for you?” “Nothing much, we’re just passing through and was wondering if you guys had a little food to spare.” Evan replied. “I’m pretty sure we’ve got some to spare. Just come on” James said but stopped when heard a shout from the road. The young woman yelled, “He’s going to kill us!”

I looked at Evan “What is she talking about?” “I don’t know. Maybe she’s gone crazy from not eating.” Evan said nervously. Frank began to back up and Anthony and I took a more aggressive stance. “Oh, fuck this shit!” Evan exclaimed and pulled a gun out from behind him and pointed it at Anthony. Frank lunged at Evan knocking the pistol and sword from his hands. Anthony reached down and picked up the pistol while Frank scrambled away from Evan. Anthony pointed the pistol at Evan and took it off safe as Evan stood up with the sword in hand.

“Anthony stop. Last resort remember?” I told him. Anthony put the pistol back on safe and lowered it. “Alright, Evan, I’m going to give you one chance to drop the sword and walk away.” I told Evan as if it was an order. He only ignored me, raised his sword above his head and swung down in a chop at me. I raised mine and set it horizontal to block his attack. The shock of the two blades making contact almost knocked it out of my hands. He pulled back and swung his sword at my right side and I put the tip of the claymore to the ground and held it to block the attack. The swords made contact; I freed my right hand from the hilt, drew it back and landed a punch across his jaw. He took a few steps back, and I attacked with a slash but he jumped back just outside the blades reach. I lost some of my balance with that attack, and he used that to his advantage. He came in with a slash to my left side and I was able to get my sword up, with the tip to the ground, and block. As the blades made contact, I traced a big upside-down U with my sword with is riding along. When his blade was on my other side, it had turned him and his back was now exposed. I quickly recovered and drew my sword back and thrust it into the right side of his lower back. He dropped his sword immediately and fell to the ground lying on his back, barely hanging onto life. I stood over him and told him, “I’m sorry it came to this.” And as an act of mercy, I buried the claymore into his chest to end the pain of dying. “Why couldn’t he just put it down and walk away?” I asked myself.

Frank reached for Evans sword, but Anthony stopped him “What are you doing?” “It’s okay. It’s mine; he took it from me when we were taken hostage.” Frank answered. He went on “We met him about two weeks ago. He was on his way to somewhere east and said he needed someone to show him through the area. He stayed at our house for a few days, and I changed my mind about showing him. But, he took us by force, ate what food we had, and torched our place.” I told him “You and your family are more than welcome to stay with us if you’d like. We’ve got the room.” “Thank you.” Frank replied. He called his family over and I took them down to our little settlement, while Anthony disposed of Evans body. I put Frank and his family up in my house, chatted for a few minutes then let them be about their business.

As soon as I walked out the door, everyone bum rushed me to find out what was going on. It took a good twenty minutes to explain the events to their satisfaction, and also that they would be joining us for dinner. They’ve told me they would answer any questions anyone would have for them.

Dinner went at about eight that night, and it was a good one, white tail deer. “You’re getting better with that bow, aren’t you Brian?” I commented. “Yeah, I’d say so. Had to take two shots, missed with the first. The deer took off but I got enough of a lead in there to get him with the second shot.” Brian replied. “So Frank, why don’t you go ahead and introduce yourself and your family?” I asked him. “Alright, I’m Frank Jones, this is my wife Emily, my son Kevin, and my daughter Elisabeth. We’re originally from Toledo, but due to recent events, found it necessary to find residence elsewhere.” He said with a little chuckle. I went around the table to introduce everyone else, and when introductions had been made, my father said a prayer and we ate. “So Frank, what did you do for a living before the war?” Henry asked. Finishing the bit of food in his mouth, Frank replied “I was a lawyer, prosecutor with the state to be exact. My wife was a registered nurse working at the community hospital.” Henry went on “What about you two, Kevin, Elisabeth?” “We both had graduated from high school just a couple months before the attack.” Kevin answered. “Oh, hey Frank, I’ve wanted to ask you.” Anthony interrupted and continued. “Where did you find your sword? I’ve wanted one for myself for awhile now.” “Oh, I didn’t find it, I made it myself. Blacksmithing has been a hobby of mine for about eight or nine years now.” He told us. “Oh cool. I got another question then. Where did you ever find the metal for that?” Anthony asked. “Finding the metal was easy. Considering that there wasn’t much use for my truck anymore, I pulled the leaf springs off the suspension. The springs were already the right length and width, just had to pound out the edges.” Frank explained. “Would it be too much trouble for you to make a couple more?” Anthony asked. “It wouldn’t be any trouble at all; I just don’t have any tools I need. If you could build me a forge, I’d be happy to do it.” Frank replied. I offered “What if we built you a whole shop, and a home for your family? Would you stay?” Frank answered immediately “I most certainly would. Hell, where else are we going to go?” “Alright, Emily you said you were a nurse right? Would you be able to handle any health and medical problems we might have?” I asked her. She answered “Yeah, that’s not a problem. Do you have any supplies that I would be able to work with?” “We’ve got some but we’re very limited.” Henry told her. Frank added “Elisabeth, you can help your mother. You’ve always had affection for her line of work.” Anthony, being the wise-guy that he is, said “Kevin, I guess you get to help me in the fields. Doing a real mans job, making sure everyone else is getting fat and happy.” He got a smile from Kevin, and a laugh from everyone else.

We carried on with stories and jokes for another hour or two before calling it a night. Ann and I slept on the spare bed in my parent’s house and just before I drifted off to sleep, Ann brought me back. “James, there’s something I have to tell you. I think I’m pregnant.” I couldn’t say anything at first, but I was finally able to speak “How do you know? Are you sure?” “I haven’t had a period in five weeks, what are we going to do? The closet thing we have to a doctor is only a nurse, I just don’t know James.” “We’ll figure it out babe, don’t worry about it now, we’ve got some time. I love you.” “I love you too James, goodnight.”
© Copyright 2006 Crazy (UN: ostrige96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Crazy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401889