*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403906-Chapter-10
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #1050525
Two teens unleash a horrible evil, creating a rift between fantasy and reality.
#403906 added February 1, 2006 at 1:15pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 10
“There’s two of them!” I shouted when he didn’t speak, “What’s going on?” “Congratulations, Captain Obvious.” One Amirra spat, struggling against Ganymede. “Yes,” said Ganymede with surprising calm, “One is a minion of the dreamweaver, sent to betray us when the chance arises. The other is your friend.”

“Well, how do we tell the difference?” I shouted, starting to pace, still staring at my two companions and one… other. “You must choose.” Ganymede said, still infuriatingly calm, “But remember, if you are wrong, it will be the death of us all.”

“Oh, gee, thanks Ganymede.” I exploded, all the anger, all the frustration, that I’d pent up that day rushing out in a slough of sarcasm. “Thanks a lot. Has anyone ever told you exactly how unhelpful you are?” “I’ve been told.” He said dryly, “Now choose, and quickly, we must continue on.” I stopped pacing and looked closely at the pair of girls, who stopped struggling to stare back at me, looking utterly identical.

“Ganymede, tell me there’s something, anything, any defining feature…” I trailed off when I caught sight of a large bruise on my left forearm. From the tunnel. The tunnel Amirra and I had gone through together. Surely she had sustained minor injuries as well. I looked at the girls. They were wearing identical clothing, jeans, black T=shirts, and hoodies.

“Take off your sweatshirts.” I ordered. The hesitated, but complied. “Now hold your arms.” They did nothing immediately, so I walked over to the nearer Amirra and grasped her wrist, turning her arm, searching for any abbressions.
Nothing.
I took her other arm.
Still nothing.
Without a word I turned to the second girl. Almost immediately I spotted a large bruise on her left shoulder.

“It’s her!” I said to Ganymede, feeling quite proud of my deduction. He paused, frowning slightly. “What! What is it?” I said, exasperated.

He stood quietly for a moment, then “Are you sure?” Did he really have to ask that? Now I was confused again. If this minion thing could mimic Amirra so well, she could probably whip herself up a few bumps and bruises. I turned back to the first Amirra I had examined. “Tell your story.”

She narrowed her eyes, clearly unhappy about being ordered around. “I was knocked out in the tunnel, but when I awoke, I was still underwater. Someone had tied seaweed to my ankles to keep me lodged in the bottom of the lake. If I hadn’t woken when I did, I’d be dead by now. Were not alone here Nicholas, that thing from the water or something on her side wants us dead.”

I was shaken, but said nothing except “Continue.” “A rope of seaweed obviously isn’t very strong. I tore free and reached the surface. By then you and it.” She jerked her head towards her double. “Were heading for the shore. You seemed badly injured, so much blood was in the water I was surprised you were alive and conscious. I thought about following, but realized that my splashing would give me away, and decided to observe my enemy before I acted, possibly learn her weak side. I swam for the beach adjacent to you and unfortunately allowed her to gain your trust. You know what happened next as well as I do, perhaps better.

The dreamweaver appeared in the lake, along with a double of you. When she was gone, Ganymede arrived and spoke to you and it. He healed your wound and-”

I cut her off quickly, “Wait, no he didn’t!” But my hand reached automatically to the back of my head. There was no wound, just dried blood. “You didn’t know?” The uninterrogated Amirra burst out, “I was just giving you a hard time, I can’t believe you thought he actually was kissing you! You’re more of an idiot than I thought.” Ganymede chuckled, “I could see you were fading, so much so you couldn’t feel the pain. So I breathed life into you. Not enough for immortality, but enough to strengthen your failing heart and replace some of the blood you’d lost.” My eyes widened, but I couldn’t think of anything to say except what was fast becoming my trademark line, “Oh.”

Amirra shook her head slightly and continued. “I followed you at a distance, the mist usually provided a good cover. I learned a few things about your friend here. For instance, there’s the fun fact that she can manifest primitive weapons at will. I saw her walking behind Ganymede with a dagger and decided it was time to tell you what was going on. However, when I approached you, you were more confused and uncooperative than I’d expected. I left you to stop her myself, but you shouted, Ganymede turned around, and the little wench hid her knife.”

She stared down at me with those fathomless grey eyes, swirling, swirling… Suddenly it struck me. I looked at the other Amirra, the one with the bruise, the one I’d almost chosen. Her eyes were grey as well, but blank, empty. I looked to Ganymede. “It’s her.” I said, pointing to the Amirra I had questioned. “I was wrong, it’s her.” The minion smiled, “Aren’t you the bright one.” She said scathingly, then, before anyone could move, she twisted and plunged a dagger into Ganymede’s bare stomach.
© Copyright 2006 Dagdas Pen (UN: lyricchic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dagdas Pen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403906-Chapter-10