*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/405509-RIP-CSK
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #956430
Here I am!
#405509 added February 9, 2006 at 12:02am
Restrictions: None
R.I.P. C.S.K.
It's the end of an era. Coretta Scott has passed. I know it's kind of late for me to be writing an entry about her passing, but it's better late then never.

For those who just...don't...know Coretta Scott King was more than just MLK's wife. She was an advocate for civil rights in her own right: Leading a march of some fifty thousand people in Memphis, Tennessee; Becoming the first woman to ever preach at St. Paul's Cathedral in England; Establishing the Martin Luther King Jr. Center For Social Change(a library and civil rights archive) in Atlanta.

She didn't forget about her husband either: Her advocation is the main reason we have a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. A president did not all of sudden give a holiday in MLK's honor because he felt bad. Mrs. King had to fight for it.

Not only did she get a national holiday in her late husband's name, she also was instrumental in finally solving the mystery of there-was-a-conspiracy/there-was-no-conspiracy surrounding in his death(There was a conspiracy!)

Wow. If Hillary Clinton and Condeleeza Rice had a fifth of the integrity and dogged determintaion of Mrs. King what a wonderful country this would be!

Oh, and another thing, Mrs. King also had a very special award named after her, called the Coretta Scott King Book Award which has been awarded to one illustrator,one author, and various books once a year. It's a very honorable award to get. The awarded books are always excellent.

Of course she's done much more than I can mention here. She's been an outspoken voice on women's rights-everyone in general I guess. The world wouldn't have been such a good place for the last thirty-seven years, and I doubt she'll be replaced anytime soon.

Coretta Scott King

April 27, 1927 - Jan. 30, 2006


© Copyright 2006 EyeSingOnTheCake (UN: mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
EyeSingOnTheCake has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/405509-RIP-CSK