*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/406301-Intellectual-challenges
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#406301 added February 12, 2006 at 4:55pm
Restrictions: None
Intellectual challenges
Over the last few months, Pastor Kermit has been doing a series called “Confronting Cultural Controversies.”

Today’s installment was about the death penalty.

One thing I’ve always appreciated about Kermit is his ability to show both sides of a particular issue, and even admits when he is torn over one, such as the death penalty.

He first explained the Old Testament view on the death penalty as well as the arguments presented by proponents of the practice today.

I won’t get into them here, because that’s not the point of this entry. I really have no desire to discuss the pros or cons about state sponsored killing, but to talk about how his sermon challenged my own thinking on the issue.

The scripture he highlighted as for the reasons arguing against the death penalty was Matthew 5:38-39, 43-45: “You have heard the law that says the punishment must match the injury: ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also . . . You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good; and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.”

This was also part of this week’s reading in Disciple, and I admit I skimmed over this scripture, for I am more of an eye for an eye person. I cannot stand by and allow a person or persons to hurt me or someone I love, nor do I want to. If that makes me a bad person in God’s eyes, well, too bad. God and I are just going to have to accept that fact.

But Kermit brought up some interesting points about the death penalty that, if not changed my thinking, has forced me to see at least state sponsored killing a bit differently.

First off, Jesus died on the cross for everyone. Every single human being who has ever lived is guilty of committing sin and therefore destined to die. That’s why He came. It was a gift freely given out of love and mercy, not because He found anyone worthy. God sees no single sin as greater than another. That’s a human conception. So that being the case, who are we, mere humans, to decide who lives and who dies since all of us deserve it?

Kermit then said, “Did you know all but two of the disciples were executed through state sponsored death penalties?”

I did not know that. And if I feel today that those men should not have been killed by the then state, why do I feel others today should be, perhaps denying them the opportunity for eternal life we all have for the taking?

An interesting question, and one I honestly don’t want to answer.

Again, it’s that eye for an eye thing and my all too human desire to see retribution and justice on this earth and not just after death.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/406301-Intellectual-challenges