*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/406324-Rainbow---Chapter-Three
by PJacks
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1065004
Book One of the Rainbow Trilogy set in West Texas
#406324 added March 19, 2006 at 1:17pm
Restrictions: None
Rainbow - Chapter Three
Leyla's Locket
Chapter Three
Paige Jackson

Sera rolled over in bed with a groan, pressing her hands against her ears to block out what had to be the loudest engine she’d ever heard. She forced one eye open and peered at the clock, which read 6:15 am. With another groan she fell out of bed, scraped her hand along the nightstand until she found her glasses, pushed them on her face and stumbled over to the window. A full moon shone down on the landscape, illuminating the scene as if it were daylight.

A pair of headlights caught her attention and she watched as they wound down from the house on the hill. The engine grew louder as the red truck drove past her house, two silhouettes barely visible in the cab, and then faded as it drove off down the street. She blinked wearily and looked down into the backyard. True to her father’s word, within two days of moving in they had a front and back yard full of grass. She was gazing down at the lush green that was now home to numerous new trees and bushes when a yawn erupted, threatening to split her head in half.

She shuffled back towards her bed, clambered in, and was pulling the blanket back up over her legs when she realized she was officially twelve years old. It was her birthday! She was grinning into the dark, wondering what this day might bring, when the bed gave a sudden creak. Turning her head she found herself staring into two globes, glowing yellow in the dark, about a foot from her face.

She yelped in surprise and flung herself backwards. In her mind’s eye she pictured a graceful leap, perhaps with a back flip thrown in, landing on her feet ready to flee to safety. In reality, her legs got tangled in the covers and she ended up falling off the bed, her head hitting the floor with a resounding crack, her legs still up on the bed. She was now hanging upside down, dangling off the side of the bed, and the ache in her head was growing in strength. Through the pain she heard a soft thud as something hit the floor on the other side of the bed. She was sucking in breath to scream for her parents when a shadow appeared at the end of her bed. The air escaped her in a rush, leaving her only enough to emit a small whimper. The shadow grew larger until finally its source came into view.

Around the corner of her bed stalked the most magnificent cat she’d ever seen. It was huge, well over a foot tall. Where there should have been a long tail, there was only a short stub. Snowy white fur seemed to glow in the moonlight, making it appear as if a silver ball encircled the cat. As the cat padded towards her she noticed it wasn’t entirely white, the tips of the ears, around the eyes, and the bottom of both hind legs were black. If it hadn’t been for the silvery-blue collar and golden tag reflecting beams of moonlight, she would have been sure she was looking at a wild, untamed creature. The cat finally reached her and settled back on his haunches, regarding her imperiously. Her legs came free of the covers and her body slumped sideways on the floor. The cat stretched out a paw and tapped her a few times on the head, as if to say, “There, there now.”

Unsteadily she propped herself up with her back to the bed, and warily stretched out a hand to the large animal. His gaze never wavered until her hand finally reached the back of his neck. She petted, tentatively at first then with growing abandon, and the cat’s icy blue eyes rolled back with pleasure. Finding he was friendly, she scooped him up in her arms. She tore her gaze away from his eyes with difficulty and took hold of the round charm hanging from his collar.

“Nimbus, so that’s your name you handsome devil.”

She flipped the charm over and gasped with delight as she read the owner’s name engraved on the back, “Seraphinus Ulric”. By now the sun had risen and Seraphinus deposited Nimbus on the bed as she quickly got dressed. Within five minutes she was bounding into the kitchen. She carefully set Nimbus down and then launched like a missile into her father’s arms.

“Oh Daddy, thank you, thank you so much! He’s great, the best present I’ve ever gotten.”

She covered her father’s startled face with kisses and then jumped out of his lap and ran to her mother, who was standing slack-jawed at the stove, potholders covering both hands. Sera threw her arms around her mother’s waist and hugged her so enthusiastically they ended up turning in circles, finishing up by the sink.

“He’s just beautiful Mom. Where did you get him? How did you sneak him up into my room? Oh, I’m so excited! I’m going to take Nimbus on a tour of the house.”

With that Sera raced back across the room, snatched up the cat, cradling him in her arms like a newborn, and bounced back out of the kitchen. The cat seemed to take all of this with a very good nature. As he was being bounced out of the room, his head swiveled to look back at the parents, blue eyes looking for all the world quite amused by this turn of events.

Gwen staggered across the kitchen, collapsing into a chair next to Galen, potholders still covering her hands. She looked at her husband, who was evidently too stunned to speak, though his mouth was moving furiously.

“You got her a cat?!? I thought we agreed to keep things low-key today, take her to dinner, go for a tour of the town, and then bring her home for cake. When did you buy a cat? Oh heavens, I’ve forgotten the muffins!” Gwen leapt from her chair and sped to the stove, yanking a pan out of the oven just as its contents were beginning to smoke.

“But . . . I didn’t . . . Gwen . . . I didn’t BUY a cat. Really. I have no idea where that animal came from. A cat! You know I’m allergic . . .”

His voice trailed off as Gwen turned a stern face on him.

“Galen Ulric, don’t you even think about it. I don’t know where that cat came from, but he’s here to stay now. I’ll not break our daughter’s heart by telling her she can’t keep it. You march into town right now and get it some food, feeding bowls, treats, and toys. Oh, and a scratching post, I’ll not have it shredding our furniture. While you’re out you better stock up on allergy pills. Well? Go on, get moving.”

Galen quailed under his wife’s furious tirade. Without another word he hurried out to the car to head into town.

***

After finishing the tour of the house, Sera took Nimbus out to explore the front yard. While the cat was daintily sniffing the trees and bushes she plopped down on the sidewalk. A few minutes later a shadow fell over her. She looked up into the face of a boy about her age, wearing a black t-shirt and jeans. He had curly blonde hair, a reddish complexion, and his face seemed to be frozen into a perpetual pout.

“I can’t believe you moved in next door to the witch,” he said in a high voice that kept breaking. “I’d be scared to go to sleep if I were you,” he continued. “My name is Greg; my father is a very important man here in Santa Angela. It’s a good thing you got to meet me before the loser kids got to you.”

Seraphinus felt an immediate dislike for this pug-nosed, self-important boy standing in front of her, but tried to be polite. “Why do you say my neighbor’s a witch? My father saw her and her husband the day we moved in and he said they seemed nice. They waved to him,” she finished, rather weakly.

“Husband?!?” He choked, snorting laughter derisively. “That’s her guardian. Her family was all killed when she was young. Most likely ‘cause they were all witches too. It’s said she never leaves the house, just stares down at all of us, plotting and watching.”

Sera felt a tug of sympathy for the poor woman who lived next door, and turned on Greg with outrage. “What a load of posh! I saw her leaving this morning. Not flying a broom or anything, she was in a truck. Pretty terrifying all right,” she added, voice dripping in sarcasm.

Greg’s eyes narrowed and he suddenly looked like a hunter searching for prey. “You need to be careful how you speak to me FlameTop. I’m not a good enemy to make, and if you cross me I’ll make sure your stay here is miserable.” His face softened as he continued, “I can see your father has money too, there’s no reason for us not to be friends. Just tell me you’ll be going to private school.”

Sera was completely confused now. “Why do you think my father has money?”

Greg laughed and pointed at the yard. “Water is scarce around here. Everyone knows how expensive it is to put in real grass. Look up and down the street, see all the rock yards? Only some people can afford to have green lawns.” His chest had puffed up at this last statement, and he pointed down the street to the only other green yard within sight. “There’s my house. With the exception of the witch who uses magic on her yard, you and I are the only ones with grass.”

He leaned down towards her like a co-conspirator and whispered, “It sure makes the other kids jealous. I can’t wait to see their face when they see your yard. They spend all their time playing in the rocks and the cactus.” Greg snorted again as he stood up and looked down at her, one eyebrow cocked, “Do you have a name, or should I just keep calling you FlameTop?”

Seraphinus stood up as haughtily as she could muster. “My friends call me Sera. You, however, can call me Seraphinus. Come on Nimbus.” With that she and the cat strode back into the house, leaving Greg standing on the walk, dumb-founded.

***

Lying in bed that night Sera thought over her first meeting with her new neighbors. Greg seemed like a bully, and if he was any indication of what Santa Angela had to offer she didn’t want to stay here. Her eyes drifted up to the house next door, and her thoughts strayed to the information Greg had given her. She couldn’t imagine losing her family, having to grow up without them. Sure they made her crazy sometimes, her father was overprotective and her mother was far too strict, but that’s what parents did.

The house on the hill was dark tonight. Evidently they had not returned home yet. She found herself wondering why Greg had called her a witch. Her thoughts drifted back a few moves ago, a little town in Oregon, when the kids had been convinced a little old lady down the street was a witch. Sera had happened to cross paths with Mrs. Applewhite one day, and after a nervous first few minutes, Sera had found that she really like her.

Sera had visited her often. Mrs. Applewhite had such wonderful stories to tell. It turned out her family had immigrated to the States a generation earlier, escaping political unrest in Germany. She was very distantly related to royalty. Sera still missed the old woman’s quick wit, sweet smile, and awesome baking skills.

Maybe she’d go pay her new neighbor a visit tomorrow. She’d convince her mom to make some of her world-class muffins. With that resolved Sera turned her attention to Nimbus, who was prowling around above her head, playfully swatting at the curly locks of red hair cascading down the pillow.

“Come here Nimbus, my wonderful cat king. We will have us a true adventure tomorrow, what do you say?”

Nimbus’ only answer was a deep, rumbling purr as he stretched out next to Sera. They fell asleep with her arm draped over his form, his nose nestled up against her neck. Long after they slumbered, a loud engine announced the return of their neighbor.

***

Cressida woke with a start as Weldon’s truck started up the incline to her house. She winced, her neck stiff from sleeping sitting up, and smiled wryly at her friend.

“Why do all of you cowboys insist on diesel trucks? That engine ranks right up there with the most god-awful noises I’ve ever heard.”

Weldon winked at her and answered in a very pronounced southern drawl.

“Why little lady, are you complaining about my chariot? Us cowboys, as you so sweetly put it, buy diesel trucks for two very important reasons – they’re bigger and noisier than normal trucks, and diesel is less expensive than regular gas. Or at least it used to be,” he finished ruefully.

Cressida sighed, stretching her neck from side to side. “What a wasted trip.” She looked down at the book she held in her lap. They had driven to Fort Worth to visit the author of the book, “The Mythology of Rainbow”. The meeting had been set up for weeks, and both of them were looking forward to talking to the good-natured, no-nonsense Elenor Hart in person. When they had buzzed the doorbell her niece had answered, a questioning look on her face. After explaining the purpose of their visit they had been shocked to discover that Elenor had died the day before. Their consolations were genuine, and Weldon and Cressida left with a deep feeling of loss for this woman they had never met.

“Another dead-end,” Cressida muttered dejectedly.

“We won’t give up, Cressida.” Weldon reached over and squeezed her hand.

By habit Weldon entered the house first, and prowled through it turning on lights where needed. Cressida busied herself in the kitchen, fixing them some sweet iced tea. She carried the glasses into the living area, set them down on the coffee table, and collapsed on the couch. Weldon returned, grabbed his glass, and settled into a big, overstuffed recliner. Both of them were weary from their day’s work, and Cressida was thinking longingly of a nice, hot, long bath.

Weldon drained his glass in two drinks, set the cup back down on the table and sighed deeply.

“Do you mind if I crash here tonight? I’m too tired to drive home and we can get an early start organizing and deciphering all of the information we’ve gathered.”

Cressida barely looked at Weldon, “You know you don’t even have to ask. You’re always welcome here. The guest room is made up and I took the liberty of purchasing some clothes that would fit you and storing them in the closet there. You know where everything’s at and I’ll see you in the morning.” She started up the stairs without a backward glance, eager to start a bath running. If she would have looked back she would have seen Weldon watching her closely, surprise mingled with a stronger emotion running across his face.





What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- unknown
© Copyright 2006 PJacks (UN: pjax713 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
PJacks has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/406324-Rainbow---Chapter-Three