*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/407455
Rated: E · Book · Religious · #1072398
The purpose of this work is to present the authentic teachings of Islam.
#407455 added March 9, 2006 at 5:04am
Restrictions: None
The Prophet Muhammad and his Sunnah
8. THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD AND HIS SUNNAH

Muhammad was born in the year 570 CE from the honorable lineage of the two great Prophets of God, Abraham and his firstborn son, Ishmael. Muhammad grew up with the title of The Trustworthy. At the age of forty, Muhammad was chosen by God to be His last Prophet and Messenger.
The Sunnah refers to the sayings, actions, and tacit approvals of the Prophet Muhammad. The reports and narrations about the Sunnah are known as Hadith, and are collected in well-known books. Like the Qur’an, the Sunnah is inspired by revelation from God through the Prophet Muhammad. Unlike the Qur’an, it is not the direct, literal word of God. The teachings came from God (divine revelation) and the words were from the Prophet Muhammad (an example for humanity). The Sunnah was also meticulously preserved.
It is obligatory for Muslims to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad. In the Qur’an, God orders the believers to obey the Messenger (His representative). God says, “Obey God, and obey the Messenger.” [Qur’an 4:59]
The purpose of life is to serve and obey God. This is achieved through following the teachings and practices of the Prophet. God says, “You have indeed in the Messenger of God a beautiful pattern [of conduct] for anyone whose hope is in God and the final day, and who engages much in the praise of God.” [Qur’an 33:21]
The Prophet showed Muslims how to perform all aspects of worship. He died at the age of 63 (in the year 632 CE) and was buried at his home in the city of Medina (Yathrib). He always greeted and parted from his companions with salutations and invocations of peace, which is recommended for all Muslims. Within a century, Islam spanned three continents, from China across Asia, throughout Africa, and into Spain in Europe.
© Copyright 2006 Sakeena Marie (UN: featherpen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sakeena Marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/407455