*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409350-Why
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#409350 added February 26, 2006 at 10:35pm
Restrictions: None
Why
During Disciple class tonight, Kevin described how he wanted to write down and memorize his reasons for his beliefs, so when someone comes to him and asks, "Why are you a Christian?" he can answer with no stumbling and bumbling around.

"After all," he said, "Ask a Hindu or even an atheist why they believe what they believe, and they can answer with little or no hesitation."

His comment made me realize I cannot answer that question were someone to pose it to me, either. Believing in Jesus as the Son of God and that He came to earth as a man to die for all the sins of mankind that we may enter into eternal life is simply that. A belief.

But why do I believe it? Something must have happened in my life that brought me to this unalterable conclusion.

I realize my faith has become so intrinsic to my being, going back to the beginning to discover the why is more difficult than explaining why my heart beats when it does or why strawberries are my favorite fruit.

I could recount all the miracles that have taken place in my life, but someone not having been there could easily chalk it up as coincidence, that I am seeing what I want to see.

I would be unable to argue except to say, "But that is what I believe."

Sorry. Too easy, and it explaines nothing.

Even to say, "But the Bible says . . ." is also too pat of an answer.

Why do I believe the Bible is true, and not just an interesting book? I could say the Holy Spirit spoke to me, and changed my heart and mind, telling me the Bible is not no mere story book?

Okay. And when was the last time you had a Thorazine injection?

This will take some serious thought and study on my part to see if I can come up with an answer. It's possible I can't, that it is up to my faith in God and the Holy Spirit to give me the proper words at the proper time, if not to convince someone, at least to plant the seed and leave the rest up to God Himself. After all, only He knows what each individual heart and mind will hear and understand, not me.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409350-Why