*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409846-Chapter-7---Making-Enemies
by Crazy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1062435
In a post-apocalyptic world, four men build a new nation, an invincible empire.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#409846 added March 1, 2006 at 12:04am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 7 - Making Enemies
The next morning Henry got with Kevin and readied four of the horses, supplies for a week, and a cart drawn by two horses. Brian, Anthony and Nort arrived at the stable shortly afterwards with their own rations and packs. “Alright boys, this is how it’s going to work.” Henry announced. “Dude, we just went over this last night. Do we need to go over it again?” Anthony said scornfully. “Hey, I just want to make sure everyone has got it down. We can’t afford too many screw ups.” Henry snapped back. He continued “We’re going to be gone for about two weeks, with about twelve to fifteen miles covered per day. Now if we come across anyone that isn’t dangerous or hostile, if you will, it’s going to slow us down. But that also means less traveling we’ll have to do seeing how we can only pick up so many people. Once we get up to twenty-two people, that’s it, no more. And I hate to say it but we’re not going to take anyone with major injuries or real sick. That will just be a waste of what little medical supplies we have.” “So what do we do if we come across someone with a not so friendly attitude?” Anthony asked. “That’s what the armor is for. Not to mention the pistol Brian got from James.” Henry said. “And you can’t forget about these mighty nice swords that Frank put together for us.” Nort added. “I guess I’m not yet used to the idea that I may have to use this overgrown toothpick.” Anthony said chuckling. “Alright, alright, enough goofing around. Let’s get out of here.” Henry announced.

It’s been three days into the trip, almost forty-five miles, and we haven’t seen a soul. The armor we’re wearing is becoming more uncomfortable with each passing day, the days seem longer with barely any conversation between us, and we still have no sign of progress. We’ll be stopping with in the hour to make camp for the night, and I just hope we’ll have better luck the next day.

The next morning we broke camp and headed out just before sun up. Everyone had the feeling that something was going to happen today; weather it was good or bad was unknown to us. “Hey, let’s take this side road. It looks like there’s been someone down it not to long ago.” Anthony announced. “Go ahead, we’re right behind you.” Henry said. A few hundred feet up the road were a couple men standing in the center seeming to block our path. “Stop there, I’m sorry but, we just can’t let you pass.” One of the men stated. We stopped the horses, dismounted and walked up to the men within a reasonable speaking distance. “Just out of curiosity; why exactly can’t we pass?” Brian asked defensively. “Well you see here, this is our road and we’ll run it how we see fit. So if you want to pass by, there bucket head, you’re going to have to pay a toll.” said the fatter of the two. “Screw this. Let’s just head back the way we came.” Anthony said harshly. “Well we can’t let you do that either. Like we said this is our road and we’ll run it how we see fit. So either way you go, you’re going to pay the toll.” One of the men replied. “I’ll show you a damn toll!” Anthony said beginning to charge at the men but was stopped by Nort “Save it. They’re not worth it.” The two men laughed at Anthony’s little outrage but continued on insisting we pay them the toll. “And what happens if we don’t pay the toll?” Henry asked glaring at the two men. “We’ll just have to take it then!” and the two men charged at us. Anthony come from behind Henry with sword drawn the second he could react and plunged the blade into the first mans stomach. At the sight of his companion’s demise, the second man stopped in his tracks, dropped his weapon of some sort and fell to his knees. At which time he began to beg for mercy in the belief that he was going to die. “Get up! You’re going to answer a few questions and I want straight answers! Got it?” Henry snarled. The man did as he was told. “Now, is this “toll road” something you and your buddy are just doing for yourself or is it for someone else?” “I wasn’t told anything. The only thing they did say to me was that I was to stay out here with him and collect a payment for use of the road.” He replied nervously. Henry went on “How often do you see people come down this road?” “Not too often. Maybe two or three people a week.” He explained. “And where are they going? Where are they coming from?” Henry asked. “I don’t know where they come from, but the best guess as to where they go is a little camp about two miles further down the road. People come and go from there, people usually never stay. Not a lot of food or shelter, couple older people run the camp. They’re only allowed to keep so much of what they can get their hands on.” The man told us. Brian stepped in “So who keeps them in check?” “I don’t know who he is, but he’s in charge of a group of people that live in one of the nearby cities. He goes to the camp every once in awhile to see what they have and take what he wants.” The man said. “Why don’t the people just pack up and leave?” Henry asked. “They can’t. They don’t have the means too. Look, that’s all I know. So if you’re going to kill me can we just get it over with?” the man sniveled. “We’re not going to kill you dirt-bag. Just get lost and don’t let me see you ever again.” Anthony said scornfully. And with that the man jumped to his feet and was off into a patch of woods. We stood there in place until he was out of site.

“Henry, do you think we should do something with this guy’s body?” Nort asked. “No. Leave it. It will act as a sign that somebody didn’t like the ridiculous toll and decided that it was no longer necessary.” Henry replied and continued “Let’s head up hear and check out this camp. See if we can get the people who run the place to come with us. They’d probably do more good with us.”

When we came within sight of the camp, it was a lot less than we expected. Their was three or four shacks that looked like they were just thrown together, a pile of various clothes lying about, a small fire, and a stand of food that looked to be a week old. It’s no wonder why people didn’t stay. Upon entering the camps area we were greeted by an older couple looking to be in their late fifties. “Good day sir. What brings you too our little hovel?” the old man said as we dismounted our horses. “We’ve come to offer our help.” Henry told him. “And how’s that, from the looks of you one might think you’ve come to slay a dragon.” The man said. “We’re from a village east of here. We’ve set out to find anyone who would be willing to come and stay with us. We offer food, shelter, and protection.” Henry explained. The older woman began to giggle at the sound of what Henry had just said and the man looked at him with a questionable look. “You offer all that huh? Why don’t you just turn around and make your offer to fat-boy down the road. He’d gladly take you up on the offer of food.” The old man said. Anthony butted in “Fat-boy isn’t going to be eating much. Unless a dead man can figure out how to use silverware.” The old man stared at Anthony in complete surprise “What do you mean by that?” “Plain and simple, the asshole is deader than a doornail.” Anthony snapped back. “Thank you. I’ve wanted to see that man dead for awhile now. Look we just can’t leave, although not many people are showing up anymore, there’s still people here who need us.” The old man explained. “It doesn’t look like much, but we still manage.” The old woman added. “How many people do you have here right now?” Nort asked. “There are seven people; three men, two women, and two children, its nine if you include us.” The man told us. “You can all come with us. We’ve got plenty of room and supplies. Pack your things us and load it onto our cart, but keep it light.” Henry ordered and the old couple did as they were told.
© Copyright 2006 Crazy (UN: ostrige96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Crazy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409846-Chapter-7---Making-Enemies