*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414208-Getting-Ready-for-Spring
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#414208 added March 20, 2006 at 10:46pm
Restrictions: None
Getting Ready for Spring
         The calendar says that spring has arrived, but the weather isn't quite cooperating yet. We had such a warm winter in North Texas this year. Many days recently the temperature has ranged between 50 - 70 degrees. Last weekend we had a three day downpour that will undoubtedly arouse all the greenery hibernating beneath the dirt. At least the rivers are flowing again.

         I've begun my spring ritual: purchasing potting soil (somebody else's dirt in a bag), peat pots, and a few packets of sunflower seeds. I came upon a new idea to obtain seeds. The majority will come from a new, FREE source.

         I tried entering "free seeds" in a google search. I skipped quite a few hits that came up because of the order of the words, like "you will be delighted when you buy our seeds. Free catalogue available." However, I did find at least a dozen places that will send free seeds if you send them a self addressed envelope and a dollar. I was surprised at the number of pot seed listings that came up in the search. None of them were free. But within a few weeks I'll be getting a wide assortment of seeds to plant. I should have enough seeds to get the kids at school involved. We haven't had a school project like that in several years.

         My newly acquired yard is landscaped with bushes mostly, and with no flower beds cut out. If I dig flower beds, the dogs will bring in even more dirt. Either I'll go to container planting, or plant posies and veggies in the front yard. Gardening does my soul good. There's something about getting dirt under my nails that gets me in touch with God.

         For those interested in my evolving spotted mammogram situation, information is still moving along slowly. At some point I speculated that if this were a cancerous situation that the information would be moving along faster. Unfortunately, I know that's not the case. Things just take time.

         My internal medicine doctor called me this morning to say that the Sammon's Institute would be sending me a letter if I hadn't received it yet. Of course, I haven't received it yet. He said they wanted to do "additional studies," which didn't really tell me anything. He gave me a phone number to speak with the Sammon's people in the meantime. When I called the number this afternoon, I realized he'd given me the number to the facility I didn't go to. Par for the course!

         If this information laden letter doesn't arrive by midweek, I'll find the correct phone number, and ask what we/I do next. The more time that passes, the less fearful I am, or the possible predicaments are getting pushed further to the back of my mind. I put off leaving my application at the Hallmark Store because I wouldn't want to start a part-time job, and then have to ask to get off for medical reasons. I'm more accepting about things working out for the best in God's own time.

         I received an e-mail from a lady in Georgia who said she'd read my online portfolio at Writing.com, and was interested in including my work in her magazine. It's an online publication now, but she intends to get it in print eventually. I checked it out at www.promiseland-productions.com/njiacoverpage.html (you'll have to cut and paste it). The name of the magazine is "NJIA," but I could never figure out what it stands for. However, getting my work in print is a priority, so I'll be sending her some poems before the end of the week. Maybe the tide is turning!
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414208-Getting-Ready-for-Spring