*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/415052-Losing-the-Wilderness
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#415052 added March 24, 2006 at 11:13pm
Restrictions: None
Losing the Wilderness
What little wilderness was left in Florida we seem to be losing it. Migrating birds are the ones that are most taken aback by the civilization's attack on their rest stops.

What we are losing to concrete and stone is irreplacable. The wilderness is not just a home for wildlife; it is a place where our sense of dependence on nature and its creator is fostered and reflected upon.

Wilderness can be a metaphor for personal crises, confusion, and bafflement, but without the beauty and inspiration of forests, swamps, and deserts, won't we end up resorting to some kind of a fake and manufactured nature?

We already have those fake gardens in big cities. They are better than nothing, for sure, but sitting in a man-made park or a tea house while the pollution from exhaust pipes and the noise of the traffic interfere with our mind's workings does not quite match up to our spiritual connection, meditation, and reflection in the nature's true garden of a wilderness.

We used to get flocks and flocks of Sandhill Cranes around out community. Nowadays, these birds walk around singly or in pairs. Where there used to be a pathway with the sign "Sandhill Crane Passing" now is a throughfare where cars whiz by. The sign still stands there by the side of the road and sandhill cranes still try to cross the street, addled by all the changes that came about in the last decade or so.

True wilderness heals and humbles the spirit. It is where we find silence, solitude, and awe for nature and the entire creation. Shouldn't we at least try to preserve one tiny part of it?

© Copyright 2006 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/415052-Losing-the-Wilderness