*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/416400-Great-job-St-Lucie-County-reef-Restoration-Prog
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#416400 added March 31, 2006 at 11:19am
Restrictions: None
Great job! St. Lucie County reef Restoration Prog.
Something very local made me happy, today.

St. Lucie County Artificial Reef Program is now collecting oyster, clam, and mussel shells from restaurants and raw bars in large bags to provide a fish habitat inside the Indian River Lagoon. The empty shells could also be used for the oyster larvae to settle in until adulthood. The shells will be part of the modules to be lowered into the water in spawning areas.

With the hurricanes and the Okechobee River's dirty waters being emptied into the lagoon, the fish and shellfish were getting poisoned and dying. Finally, a positive step is taken by our county.

Several fishermen of the area took to deep sea fishing and recreational fishing had diminished because of all the problems inside the lagoon. This move at least shows some recognition of the problem.

Now, if only we could find a solution to the dirty Okeechobee waters!

© Copyright 2006 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/416400-Great-job-St-Lucie-County-reef-Restoration-Prog