*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/417616-Scene-1
Rated: 13+ · Book · Comedy · #1090793
This is actually a play about a girl's misadventures in a swing dance club.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#417616 added April 5, 2006 at 8:55pm
Restrictions: None
Scene 1
Scene 1

A single spotlight lands on a thin, pale girl, DANIELLE, standing in the middle of the stage, dressed in a lavender nightgown, clutching a letter in her hands.

DANIELLE
(to audience)
My name is Danielle. I’m nothing really spectacular, just your standard naïve college freshman. In groups, I’m the shy one, the one who blends into the woodwork, the introvert. But you know, sometimes it’s safer that way, and, for a little while at least, I was happy. My life seemed perfect.
(begins to open letter)
Until I found this…
(reads)
Danielle,
I can't do it anymore…. I'm sorry…. Please don't be mad…. I never loved you, but admit it, you never did either.

As she looks straight ahead, eyes popped open with disbelief, warm light softly illuminates SL- a chair, a table with a coffee mug placed upon it.

DANIELLE
I can't breathe.

She sits at the table, clutching the letter with visibly shaking hands.

DANIELLE
(reading)
I never loved you, but admit it… you didn't either.

She shoves the letter suddenly onto the table and presses her hand to her cheek, on the verge of tears.

DANIELLE
(brokenhearted)
He never loved me…

Female voice
(offstage)
Danielle??? Are you in there?? Danny!

DANIELLE looks up as her older sister, NATALIE, enters SL, hair in rollers, dressed in a lime green nightgown. NATALIE stops in her tracks when she sees her little sister and frowns.

NATALIE
(sitting down across from DANIELLE)
Honey, what is the matter?

DANIELLE
(softly)
I came down to get something to eat, and saw this taped to the refrigerator...

NATALIE snatches the paper up from the table and reads, her face dropping.

NATALIE
Ohh, Danny… (shakes head) He's a bastard. You know he is.

DANIELLE
(wearily)
I know. I just.. I feel so… nothing.

NATALIE
(confused)
Nothing?

DANIELLE
Yeah. Something must be wrong with me. I should be devastated, right? Or at least have some reaction! But I don’t. Asides from feeling humiliated. This isn’t right! I really, really liked him. And instead of being heartbroken I’m just… hollow.

NATALIE wraps her arms comfortingly around her sister. They rock back and forth in silence for a beat.

DANIELLE
At least I haven't cried. I mean it's almost like there's no need to.

NATALIE looks at her sister.

NATALIE
Did you love him?

They both stop rocking. DANIELLE stares straight ahead. Her eyes are wide, distant, and glassy.

DANIELLE
I don't know… (sighs) But I know I needed him, so I could at least feel like I was worth something. Now that's gone.

NATALIE pulls away from DANIELLE and stands a few feet behind her.

NATALIE
(stern, almost maternal)
Listen to me, Danny. You ARE worth something. Just because some little rat shit leaves you doesn't mean that you aren't gorgeous, wonderful, or loved. And I am taking it upon myself, as your big sister, to make sure you feel every bit as perfect as you are!

DANIELLE sighs and rests her face in her hands.

DANIELLE
Thanks, but right now I don't exactly feel all that perfect. (groans) I just want to feel SOMETHING!


NATALIE
I have just the thing, honey- come dancing with my friends and me tomorrow night.

DANIELLE rolls her eyes.

DANIELLE
Come on, Nat, you know I can't dance! And I hate rap music!

NATALIE
(grinning)
It's swing dancing, Danny! We all suck! But we still do it every week! You just never went because he hated going to clubs.

DANIELLE looks up and gnaws on her bottom lip, clutching her stomach with her hands.

DANIELLE
(uneasy)
I don't know…

NATALIE
Well it's either that, or you mope here in your bathrobe for God knows how long!

DANIELLE shoots NATALIE a glare.

DANIELLE
(muttering)
You know me too well.

NATALIE
Is that a Yes or a No?
DANIELLE clenches her eyes shut and winces.

DANIELLE
...Okay.

NATALIE
Fabulous! We leave at 10:30. Don't be late! (exit SL)

DANIELLE
(shocked at the lateness)
10:30!
She whirls around, just after NATALIE has walked out. The lights dim.
© Copyright 2006 Caroline Bennett (UN: rosalita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Caroline Bennett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/417616-Scene-1