*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/421805-Drowning-in-Paperwork
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #1096753
Concerns about the inequality of being an independent woman.
#421805 added April 26, 2006 at 7:17am
Restrictions: None
Drowning in Paperwork
I am sure I am not the only person with this problem. Many a tree has fallen to asuage the thirst for evidence, data and the need for some people to feel important.
I nearly drowned once when I was a teenager. Swimming in an outdoor public pool in Bishop's Stortford, with no heating and a light sheet of frost which I broke with my first stroke. After the inital panic when cramp set in, I became calm and resigned to the fact I was going to sink once too often. It became clear that if one was going to die, drowing was quite a cool option. (I use the word 'cool' to indicate the charm of it, not the temperature.)
Lets face it, when you are numb, you're numb!
I digress.
I can still recall the sense of tranquility that overcame me as I sank to the bottom of that freezing man made pool, and whenever I think about it, I smile.
As the years past, I often thought that if I had to go, I should leave my clothes wrapped neatly on the shore, and swim to the horizon.
I never did!
I met my demons and dealt with them on the way.
As I sit surrounded by paperwork, some 40 years after my previous near death experience, I pondered on the whole scenario of drowning. I started to think, if drowning in paperwork is how I see my life, what better things are there to drown in? Self Pity?
Beer? Chanel No. 5?
No.
Now I help other people deal with their demons.
Hence the mountain of paperwork.
What a priveledge to work in this arena.
So, no longer drowning, just waving!!

Playbacker

© Copyright 2006 Playbacker (UN: playbacker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Playbacker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/421805-Drowning-in-Paperwork