*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/422664-Uncle-Hayes-at-the-Campbell-Mansion-Part-7
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#422664 added April 30, 2006 at 10:15pm
Restrictions: None
Uncle Hayes at the Campbell Mansion, Part 7
"I quickly went down the stairs and watched as she looked around the carport area. I stepped back into the shadows as she went up the side steps as if she could get back in, but she just stood there. Just as I’d thought, she couldn’t go through the door.

"She looked through the window of the door and again there seemed to be a look of disappointment on her face when she saw that it was dark inside.

"I was fascinated by the haint and wondered if she would or could open a door if it was unlocked. I hurried to the back door and unlocked it, but left the light off in the kitchen. The outside light next to the door was still on. When I stepped back to where I could see the carport, she was still there, still looking around, seeking something, only she knew what. After she’d examined what seemed like every detail to be examined, she noticed the light in the back.

"There was one small place where the light from the back door didn’t quite meet with the light from the side door. She stopped just at that point, backed off a bit, then stepped forward and quickly walked through. How strange, that this ghostly apparition had to be in the light. Then why didn’t she show herself during the day more? Just that one time I saw her in the house, just for a brief moment. When she’d shown up where I was staying, she’d vanished as soon as she stepped into the darkness.

"I followed her so I could watch what she’d do next. She was looking around in the back yard, being careful not to step into the shadows. She looked up at the garage, yet didn’t seem interested, maybe because she’d already been there. After a while, she finally made it over to the kitchen door.

"She looked into the window and then walked back and forth in front of the door, but didn’t attempt to open it. Eventually she moved away from the door so I ran over, opened the door, reached in and flipped on the light, then closed the door again and moved away. It didn’t take her long to see the light had come on in the kitchen. In the next moment, she was at the door, looking in the window. Leaning in close, she craned to see as far right as possible, then as far left. As she turned her head, I could see that she was smiling.

"But yet she did not open the door. She just stood there in front of it and slowly her smile faded into a look of frustration.

"She came back down the steps, glanced back at the house, then stepped into the darkness and vanished.

"I knew then what I needed. Tomorrow maybe I can put a stop to this, but for right now I got to go to bed and sleep on it.

"The next morning, I got up, ate breakfast, and headed to the main house. First things first, I checked all the gas lines and gas heaters, and even checked the boiler for leaks. I turned the water back on for the boiler then went back up to the first floor. I figured I might was well start checking each room there for what needed repair.

"I found an old lamp in the garage, put a bulb in it, and placed it in the parlor, the room with the side door and no ceiling fixture. I flipped the switch and was relieved to see that the light came on. I checked the room again and nothing major needed to be repaired.

"Next I went into the living room. All in all, nothing much, new paint, a little patching here and there, and a lot of cleaning. Then in the kitchen, the tiles on the floor needed replaced, and again, new paint. The stove and refrigerator were both pretty old but still in working condition. No leaks from the pipes or spigot. The sink itself had seen better days. I would have to ask the Campbells if they wanted me to replace these things.

"The back rooms where the butler and cook lived had one window each. The lights worked but they too needed a good cleaning and a paint job. As I came back out, there were two smaller doors, one was for the ironing board, the other was the pantry. The pantry would take the most time to paint because of all the shelves.

"I went back down to the basement to check and see if the boiler was full of water yet. I checked the gauge and the tank was full, then checked all the controls. Everything seemed to be working, so I lit the pilot light and burner. There was a smell at first from some of the dust that was up in there, burning off. I stayed with it for a few minutes to make sure the flame didn’t go out, then turned it to automatic so it would go off and on by itself.

"While I was waiting for the water to heat, I decided to have a look around the basement. The boiler room was lit by a single bulb, the corners in shadow. As with most basements, it was a bit spooky down there, and it brought to mind my experience with the haint the night before.

"I did have a plan, but work would have to come first."

...To be continued...

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/422664-Uncle-Hayes-at-the-Campbell-Mansion-Part-7