*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/422815-
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#422815 added May 1, 2006 at 11:59am
Restrictions: None
Havin’ a little graphic fun
And no, you don't need to drag your children away from the computer so they won't read this entry. I don't mean that kind of "graphic!"

Yesterday I decided to do a few reviews. But before that I created an item describing my reviewing techniques. I did this because I do tend to be thorough in critiquing people’s items, and I want my victims to know where I’m coming from. If you’re interested: "How I Review

Then I decided I needed a signature to go with it. I brought up my favorite graphics program, Corel Draw and began to play.

This is what I came up with:

** Image ID #1100715 Unavailable **

While I like how it turned out as far as colors and “activity,” I thought, good Lord, could this be a more conceited signature? Do I really like my handle that much?

Well, yes, I do, but to proclaim that fact for all to see, I don’t think so.

So I decided to start over, this time looking for a photo, and place text in the foreground. Using my Corel clipart CD, I found the perfect graphic and created this:

Things I consider while reviewing.

I liked it enough I used it for the two reviews I did yesterday.

And since I had time and still in an artistic mode, I played with my original signature, adding a bit of honesty:

** Image ID #1100570 Unavailable **

I’m tempted to use this one for when I leave forum posts and send emails, because it shows I really don’t take myself seriously . . . well, not all the time anyway.

Oh, I discovered something pretty awesome about making reviews public! If someone likes a review, they have the option to send GPs along with a note. For my last several reviews, I’ve received these emails with GPs attached (Four on one review alone). Now I know how some people can keep their memberships by reviewing a lot. That’s not my goal by any stretch. I don’t mind paying for my membership. I figured for WDC to function at its best, it needs the cash.

I’m even tempted to upgrade to Professional, because there are many perks that go with it, including creating my own web pages, adding Word or Adobe Acrobat documents for people to download and creating photo albums. But I don’t know if I have that much cash to play with. I’ll have to do a little math.

Going back to art, specifically painting, I just finished Voxxylady ’s book “Finishing Touches.” (You can find it on Amazon, or simply use the link provided in her blog, "Avant-Garde Aspirations.

I really identified with the main character, Jenna. She loved art growing up, but because of certain circumstances (don’t want to give away the story, you know), she gave up her craft. But changes in her life caused her to get back into it. It’s an excellent book; I highly recommend it. Voxxylady created sympathetic characters, and she has a warm, and inviting writing style.

I also used to draw, taking an art class every year in school. My favorites were pen and ink, chalk and pencil. Oils, acrylics and watercolors never stuck with me. I did some passable stuff, but just enough to get a good grade on my assignments that required me to use those mediums.

I haven’t drawn anything since I left high school. Like Jenna, life intruded. As I read “Finishing Touches,” that desire to create began to niggle at me. I don’t have the house space to create a studio, but I have CorelDraw and CorelPaint, two powerful programs that I haven’t scratched the surface on their capabilities.

My first love had to be calligraphy, though. I even have a calligraphy set along with six colored inks and lots of paper that are sitting in my cupboard collecting dust. I again quit it in high school. For that, however, I stopped mostly because with all the fancy computer fonts out there, what was the point of doing it by hand?

I really should pick that up again. Calligraphy is quickly becoming a lost art, even more so than others, I think. Did you know some schools aren’t teaching children cursive any more?!

Perhaps the time has come to discover just what these programs can do. We all need a break from writing, or whatever we do from day to day, to exercise different parts of our brains. While I may not create anything wonderful to start, I will only improve the more I practice.

So add one more thing to my list!

Speaking of artistry! You must check out SilverValkyre loves YOU! ’s blog, "Invalid Item! She fills her entries with colors and emoticons with such flair and creativity, they will, if nothing else, brighten your day.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/422815-