*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/425696-Books-books-books
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1101898
For every dark cloud, there is a silver lining. Does anyone has change for mine?
#425696 added May 13, 2006 at 5:54pm
Restrictions: None
Books, books, books
I just got back from the book store. Got a bunch of books for my 6 years old daughter.

Now she is sitting on her bed, examing in detail all the books with utter concentration.

I think she got my passion for books. I hope so.

At the same time, I am watching a movie called "The Ninth Gate", with Johnny Depp. It is a weird movie about the devil leaving clues for someone to find him/her. And I do not care for Johnny Depp that much.

But I like the movie, only because it is a movie about books.

A true book lover would care his books like he cares for his children. One of the minor character in the movie is a book collector, but it is so much fun to see him comparing two books of the same edition with extreme delight.

"Aww, two books, brothers, united after 300 years of separation," he said, "Look here, on this page, the slight imperfection, yes, it is the same here. They are from the same edition, same print. If not for the slight discoloration on your book here, I can not tell them apart."

"I care for them," he proudly exclaimed, "I keep them away from dust, air, light, moisture and mice. I air them every day."

Then of course, he got killed. And to show his cool, Johnny lit a smoke while he examined the two books.

I winced at his action. Death to the idiot! *Cry*

"It is a delight, " one not so famous Chinese author once said, "to have a new book in a winter's night, while you are in bed. The fresh smell of ink filled your bed ...."

I could not remember his name or his exact words, but the picture, the scent remained.

In the book store, a quote said, "If I have some money, I will buy books, and if I have any left, then I will buy food."

I know exactly how he felt. The store is such haven, that as if time itself stopped outside of it.

In it, as I was browsing, I could feel no weary, no pain, no hunger, just the books.

Amazon.com can not replace that, never could replace that. Books bought online just did not have the same feel to it.

If only they have a books section in the Macy's, then I will happily go there with my wife. *Bigsmile*

I once had a dream that one day, in the distant future, when I retire, I will open a little book store. Not for money, just so that I can smell them day in and day out.

Then of course, the movie "You've got mail" came out, and my dream was in the gutter.

Thank you Tom Hanks! Why can't you just make a sequel to "Saving Private Ryan" or something. Oh, that is right. He got killed in that.

Well, We'd always love another "Forrest Gump", don't we? My dear Forrest will not likely open a book store now, won't he?

As I am writing this, I am feeling old. One of these days, the books can only be found in a antique shop, curious item for all to see. Just like oil lamps and steam engines.

Maybe that will be my retirement. An antique shop filled with books!

Savor them while you can.

© Copyright 2006 JoshCham (UN: joshcham at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JoshCham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/425696-Books-books-books