*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428128-Ole-folks-music
by Fig
Rated: 18+ · Book · Teen · #956453
Hope is here. By hope i mean university life.
#428128 added May 24, 2006 at 9:40pm
Restrictions: None
Ole folks music
Wow... i now understand what older people say when our generation knows nothing about music. When they mean music, they are referring to r&b/love songs. Even Steve Harvey said it when he was doing his movie The Original Kings Of Comedy . Before, when i heard this i just used to laugh and point out that we have groups such as Jagged Edge, Javier, Carl Thomas, Glen Lewis, Joe and a host of others who produce beautiful love songs and represent out generation.

Its true that those people mentioned before DO produce good music, but its not on par with the quality of music that was produced by those before them. There IS a difference in the quality of music. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is, but when you put on those old school tracks you can't just help but dance and sway with the music. Hell, you just want to sing LOUD along with the music.

I know... i know you're wondering what the hell i'm talking about, that you can do the same with artists from this generation... no you're wrong. I fully agree with those who says that the music has declined. As Steve Harvey said, you can't cram all what you want to say in a 3-minute long song where you just have like 3 lines and a big chorus. No, a proper love song is like a story you have to tell. Now, i'm not going to lie, there are song exactly like what he said is 'bad' e.g. Stevie Wonder - My Cherie Amour, where there are hardly any lyrics and just chorus, but even though it has that formula, its still a winning song. Its just SOMETHING about this music that is catchy and has you in a great mood. I honestly can't figure out what it is, but i love it. Some of the stuff i've been listening to is Earth, Wind & Fire, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Michael Jackson (the Off The Wall album is seriously OFF THE WALL! It real damn good), Al Green and some others. These are music genuises. I'm in no way saying that this current generation of music isn't good. In fact, its GREAT! I love listening to artists such as Raphael Saadiq, Usher and Jimmy Cozier sing love songs, but i give credit where credit is due. And in this case, you've got to pay respect to your elders... cause their music proves they've earned it....

© Copyright 2006 Fig (UN: ninja64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fig has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428128-Ole-folks-music