*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430151
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097066
For all the rest of my Flash Fiction Entries
#430151 added June 1, 2006 at 4:43pm
Restrictions: None
Coming Home
Written for Daily Flash Fiction - Max. 300 words
Prompt: Write a story about being in an airport
Word Count: 297
*Gift3*Winning Entry 01/15/06*Gift3*

__________

Businessmen in expensive suits, laughing softly over espressos and the Wall Street Journal, comparing stocks while glancing at watches and thinking of some upcoming meeting.

A family dressed in colorful attires, Hawaiian print shirts and bikini-tops with straw hats and beach balls. They run down the walkway, their happy voices a reminder of warm weather, beaches and cool drinks – of summer.

A couple sitting close together, lost in each other’s eyes. A brilliant ring flashes on her finger as she caresses his cheek, her lips whispering promises of a wonderful and long future together…at least we can only hope.

A team of soccer players, their uniforms a beacon for the country they represent. Young faces, shiny and flushed with anticipation. Restless as they laugh a little too loud, talk a little too long, knowing that their future depends on that pivotal game which awaits them.

Excited pilots and stewardesses, looking dapper in their outfits. They flash a smile here and there, and wish you a good day. They hope you have a good flight and promise it would be a trip you would never forget.

A sudden eruption of applause and a new set of arrivals walk through the gates. There are our men in uniform, soldiers who have fought the good fight and have finally returned to a place they can call home. Tears of joy stream down their faces as fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, wives and girlfriends, husbands and boyfriends all dash to claim them as their own.

A sudden yell and I turn around, smiling broadly at whom I see. I fall to my knees and hold out my arms, laughing with pleasure as she embraces me tight and says those three words I have so longed to hear.

“Welcome home, Daddy!”







© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430151