*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/433208-Larrys-Race
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097066
For all the rest of my Flash Fiction Entries
#433208 added June 13, 2006 at 2:28pm
Restrictions: None
Larry's Race
Written for the: "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Write a story in which someone is running.
_____________


He shook out his arms and arched his neck. Jumped up and down. One. Two. Three times. For good luck. He sucked in huge gulps of air and let them out in a whoosh, cracking knuckles, flexing muscles. All in preparation for the greatest race of his life.

He eyed the stands, listening to the steady chant of his name.

“Larry! Larry! Larry!”

Oh, sweet music. It was a sea of red, white and blue in this Olympic stadium. He was the star in the 100 meter dash. The most anticipated race. He had breezed through the heats and this final race was just going to be the icing on the cake.

“On your marks!”

He got into position. Canada and Great Britain on either side of him. They were good runners, but no one could beat him. Not this time around. He hadn’t trained like a maniac for four years to lose to a bunch of wannabes. He thought of the countless hours spent training back home. The way he had stared into his old coach’s eyes and promised to bring back the gold.

“This is for you, coach.”

The gunshot was heard and they were off!

Powerful legs and arms began to piston like automatons. Up. Down. Up. Down. The wind rushed past his ears. No, he was faster than the wind. His heartbeat danced wildly in his chest as he pushed himself to the limit, wanting to be faster than ever before. To beat the clock. To beat his own record. He would make it. He could see the finishing line. Finally! Yes! It was…!

“VICTORY!” he bellowed in triumph.

“Moooom!” Six-year old Clara yelled, as she watched her father raise his arms from his position on the treadmill. “Dad’s doing that weird thing again!”


Word Count: 300


** Image ID #1087476 Unavailable **
Please check out my forums!*Smile*
A Picture Is Worth A 1000 Words Contest  (ASR)
Write a story in 1000 words or less to a given picture prompt. [Hiatus!]
#1101926 by iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen

The WDC Artists Auction for Charity  (13+)
AUCTION CLOSED! Thank you everyone for your participation!
#1086031 by iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen

♦The Review Pool♦ [Hiatus]  (ASR)
Need your poem or short story reviewed? Hop on in!
#1060262 by iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen

FORUM
Kiya's Custom Orders Shoppe  (18+)
*CLOSED Until Further Notice* For customized requests/orders ONLY!
#1092645 by iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen

FOLDER
C-Note Alley  (E)
Pay a visit to several c-note shops with a little something for everyone.
#1092992 by iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen

** Image ID #1095606 Unavailable **
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/433208-Larrys-Race