*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/436579-Politeness-run-amok
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#436579 added June 27, 2006 at 8:26am
Restrictions: None
Politeness run amok
David McClain discussed yesterday the uniqueness of Texans. He pointed out as one of those unique traits is their tendency to be polite to a fault . . . at least for older generations.

The same can be said for many other generations in other states, ND included.

I count Grandma Woods among them. But can there be a downside to being polite all the time?

One day a friend and neighbor brought over a coffee cake to share. Grandma, being her ever gracious self, proclaimed how delectable it was, when in fact she hated it. Well, the friend also being a generous and gracious soul thought she would show her respect and love by making this coffee cake every week . . . for the last 50 years.

Weeks after we heard this story, we invited Grandma over for Thanksgiving supper. Dave was very nervous; he'd never cooked for her before and he didn't want to disappoint her. He cooked/smoked a medium-sized turkey bought from the Hooterites on the grill, using wild apples for stuffing.

Grandma praised the turkey through the entire meal, but Dave, the honest one to a fault asked, "How do I know you're not just being polite? After all, you're still enduring a coffee cake you hate. Truthfully, is it really good?"

His statement took her aback, but she assured him it was the best turkey she ever had. The biggest clue she gave was she didn't hesitate a bit when Dave offered her some leftovers. She never takes leftovers.

I knew she wasn't just being polite the next Thanksgiving when she said the turkey, although still good, didn't compare to the first year.

Dave grinned when she told him that. The surest way to show your respect to Dave is to be honest with him. Grandma knows that, so to show her love for her grandson, she'll now tell it like it is.

===================================================

By the way, I just opened a sig shop!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1121385 by Not Available.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/436579-Politeness-run-amok