*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/437543-In-the-Game
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #840656
It's my line and I'm editing it.
#437543 added August 15, 2007 at 5:17pm
Restrictions: None
In the Game
I told her i was a novice player. She told me not to worry. She'd teach me. anything and everything i wanted to know. i get my first lesson tonight.

My eyes looked away from the ball for one split second, down to my shoes. i missed the toss, the point of contact, the ball leaving the racquet - giving me the edge to accurately respond.

the serve was solid. right in the middle of the box, a tad to the left, reqiring a side step to give the sharp cross court pick up i so typically hit for returns.

yes she wanted to be in the game. that much was certain. i had the ret of the spit second to see how far.

but i froze, my feet refusing to side step. instead. i scooped the ball up - with an ugly stroke. popping the ball up for a slam net shot - if she wanted to smack me.

she did not.

she stroked it right back at me, allowing me more time to play the point out.

so now, here i stand, playing mini tennis. at leasti i'm on court, not watching from the sidelines. tapping the ball in her direction with each shot. wishing i had the confidence to step back and hit some solid groundstrokes.



© Copyright 2007 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/437543-In-the-Game