*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/446907-Wings
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #1139755
In this blog I will post every other day about little things I found interesting.
#446907 added August 10, 2006 at 1:01am
Restrictions: None
Wings
This day was added to the countless list of average days, nothing peculiar happened, until the moment I was going home from work at about twelve AM. An old coworker came from some other “franchise”, he asked how I was doing, I did the same, and the answers were similar, we were just -fine-. He noticed my brown leather bag hanging from my shoulder.
“What do you have there” he conspicuously asked.
“Oh this? Just some books, I am studying for the GED”
“What for? I mean, come on, just get your CDL license and become a trucker, that's where the money is”
“But I don't really want money, just enough to live, I want to study, go to college”
“But you are a -spic-, spics are not meant to do that, -they- won't let you get too far, you know how it is for us immigrants”
“No, I really don't, and that's why I am doing it. I want to know how far I can fly” without any thought, the answer came automatically. I said good night and went to my car with a smile on my face, because that was true. I don't know how far I can fly, I never tried it, never. And now I am doing it, I am spreading this pair of atrophied wings and this time I am not going to let them rot in a cramped position again, I will never let myself fall again. If for any reason life shoots me down, I know I will rise again, and again, and again, until there are no more chances for my to be free.
I looked at the moon, and she seemed to be smiling back. So I promised her, that when I finally get my college degree, I will go to a high place, like the top of a mountain or the roof of a building, to curse everyone and everything that ever tried to hamper my progress, and I will thank them, for without them I would have never made it that high.
I forgot how good it feels to be alive.
I am happy, this is where I want to be.

© Copyright 2006 Dario Carlino (UN: darioangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dario Carlino has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/446907-Wings