*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450617-Routine-of-a-Slug
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#450617 added August 25, 2006 at 6:18pm
Restrictions: None
Routine of a Slug
Despite best efforts, my tooth situation, back pain, and temps in excess of 100 for 40-something days this summer have me playing the role of a slug--except I don't think I'm leaving a trail behind me. I don't move around all that much. I hope things will be better soon. I have some appointments scheduled and I'm sure some med changes in my future. I'm pretty sure the pain med is causing me depression symptoms, so I changed meds to the one I used before, and the back and neck pain is back, as well as symptoms from leaving off the old pain med. It's always something!

I'm sleeping from about 3:00 am until noon or later, then have to do errands in the horrible heat. I don't stay out any longer than I have to, and I come home drenched in sweat and totally exhausted. Every conversation in town seems to start with "I'll sure be glad when fall arrives." The attitude of groups of people, as opposed to nice individuals, is almost as bad as I remember from the heat of 1980. I was in Houston then, and it was a similar summer of no rain and very oppressive heat. People are so miserable, they growl, get self-assertive in traffic, take "it" out on whoever is in their path. Me too, but I'm trying to stay out of the way.

I had this routine planned to spend four hours a day, working on reading, research, and writing to get published. It hasn't worked out so well yet. Best of intentions, ya know. Maybe next week, or after Labor Day. Maybe my problem is that it's still stylistically okay to wear white until Labor Day. lol. So now, the new discipline is due to begin after Labor Day. I start tutoring a student in a senior level course called "Mexican History Since 1810" on Labor Day, then every Thursday after that.

My student and I are friends as well as professional acquaintences after three years of working together on his class work and comprehension skills. We had a three hour discussion about how things should progress this semester, at my request. I needed to let him know I had to schedule time for my writing, and I was afraid I was going to have to spend too much time on his course readings and such.

It's a senior level history class, and I did major in history in the beginning of my college work. With 36 hours of history courses behind me, I guess I could have had a double major with English. Anyhow, I remember carrying lots of fat books, and reading most every page the instructor assigned. There was a lot of reading, and he doesn't really like to read. It was a lot then for me, a reader, to accomplish. I felt I had to pump him up somehow, and we discussed my wage.

I'd been asking very little monetary recompense, and now I want a reasonable hourly wage. Giving time away and calling it volunteering is fine, until it begins to affect your attitude. I felt I wasn't getting my due, and putting in more effort then I got credit for. My student is only working part time, but we agreed on a satisfactory situation.

That kind of conversation, with me standing up for my needs and expressing them, is difficult for me to have. It's easier for me to blow up, get mad, and walk away--but I didn't want to lose him as a student. Luckily, he's a great guy, and I think we'll both be happy with him coming to me for two hours on Thursday afternoons, until an essay is required. I have lots of pages to read about Mexican history, and it'll be interesting once I get myself pumped up.

I'm working toward parting with the twin white kittens. Six pets is unreasonable for a one person household, and the litter box is quite a daily chore. But the kittens are fat and well socialized--even with the dogs. Before Labor Day I hope to adopt them off to a new home together. I don't think they'd do as well if they are separated.

"Stella" is more independent, and she'll be fine with me, the dogs, and the other cat. There are LOTS of putty footfalls across the floor--day and night. They have the run of the house now. It's amazing to observe growth and development.

Will really try to get this blog going on a more regular basis again. If not this week, certainly after Labor Day. It even sounds like the time to start to work!
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450617-Routine-of-a-Slug