*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/452929-Chapters-One--Two
by trudi
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #1153240
Few chapters in a novel that is part of a trilogy - probably best described as a romance.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#452929 added September 5, 2006 at 5:57pm
Restrictions: None
Chapters One & Two
Chapter One

The Infamous Five, as Loren laughingly called them, were gathered together in the room nicknamed the Parlour. With high ceilings, huge sliding windows and painted in bright sunshine yellow it always appeared welcoming and was Loren’s favourite room.
Every available ledge, bookcase or cabinet was covered in photos of friends, family and pets. The paintings and prints on the walls ranged from quality oils to brightly framed copies and childish drawings. The furniture was all large and comfortable with piles of bright cushions. Cats and Dogs, of every size and shape were sleeping or play fighting lending an odd aura of calm chaos to the room.

“Why do I need another plastic surgeon when I have you?” Loren asked.
“Joel has a particular interest in reconstructive surgery on young people. His advice will be invaluable" Peter patiently explained.
“From what I have heard he will be unwilling to attend and he is not very sociable. Have you personally invited him?”
“Ah – no. He is unaware of my involvement in the project. I thought it best to approach the hospital directly and get them to ah encourage him to attend” was Peter’s somewhat hesitant reply.

“You seem very keen on this, Pete, what is your motive? Don’t you think we have issued enough invitations? It is beginning to look a little like overkill to me,” Loren asked suspiciously. “You are not up to anything are you?”

Looking uncomfortable Peter responded, “Of course not, I just want what is best for the project. His presence will certainly help with publicity, especially following his reconstructive work on that young fellow from Uganda that was so horribly burnt”.
Still a little suspicious Loren decided to drop the subject and get on with the other items on the agenda.

“Will we be able to accommodate everyone, Martha?” she asked.
Martha was a little startled by the question as she was still chuckling to herself over Loren’s conversation with Peter.
“It will be a bit of a squeeze but I have it sorted out. The old stockman quarters have been given a thorough spruce up and a lick of paint. With some bright bed linen they will do the trick to accommodate the men. There are fewer women so I have organised sufficient beds in the main house. The youngsters have mostly agreed to bunk in together to make more space for the visitors.”

“I have hired some of the local girls, on a casual basis, to help with serving meals and keeping rooms clean and tidy,” Mareesha commented. “The young ones all want to do their bit as well so I have assigned them additional duties, as well as their existing chores,” she continued.
“Perhaps it would be a nice idea if they escorted the guests to their rooms and helped with luggage,” Susan suggested.
“Only if they are comfortable doing it” Loren responded. “Some of them have not really settled in yet. Let’s not ask too much of them.”

The others in the room all looked at each other and shrugged. Protective as always Loren never even realised the kids idolised her and would do anything she asked. The whole purpose of this seminar was to ensure their future and the future of others like them. Despite this it was obvious Loren would not allow the youngsters to be used as any sort of marketing tool. Giving their time willingly she could accept but cajoling and any exposure they were uncomfortable with would not be tolerated.

“What invitations have been accepted, so far?” Loren asked.
Martha picked up the list and quickly scanned it.
“Ming Ya has agreed to come. We have reporters from four major newspapers and a television crew for the Wednesday presentation. Doctors from six fields have also accepted. The Mayor and the Police Commissioner will be here on Wednesday. We have positive replies from a number of the paramedic fields and it seems all the Government Department Representatives are attending. We are still waiting on quite a few responses.”

“What about the people with the money bags” Susan wanted to know.
“What do you think?” Martha replied. “They either wanted to meet Loren or they did not want to miss a media opportunity. All we have to do is convince them how good they will look handing over the cash!”

As the other four continued to discuss the attendees and the logistics of housing, feeding and entertaining everyone Loren leaned back into the couch and let her thoughts wander. Was she crazy to think she could pull this off? Would they all understand her motivation? How much of herself would she have to reveal? Well there was little point in worrying about it. She had done all she could; the rest was in the lap of the gods.

It was fortunate she was too wrapped in her thoughts to see the look of conspiracy that passed between Peter, Martha and Mareesha.


Chapter Two

Dr Joel Wisdom kept on striding down the corridor. He did not even pause to consider the request. Throwing an exasperated look over his shoulder he muttered absolutely not and continued with his morning rounds, unrealistically believing that would be the end of the matter.

Just how unrealistic he had been was becoming obvious as he sat in the Medical Director’s office later that day.
“Look, Clive, it is simply out of the question. I do not have time to be flying all over the place, at the whim of some bored little rich girl. My workload is ridiculous as it is and I am turning patients away. Why on earth should I get involved in some half-baked scheme that will never get off the ground anyway?”

The Medical Director leant back in his chair and smiled. “I’m sorry Joel” looking less sorry than Joel had ever seen him “but this is a fait accompli.”
Joel sighed heavily.
Undeterred Clive continued “The Board has given their approval as they can see gains for the hospital from the publicity and they are willing to cover all your travel and accommodation expenses, although, from what I understand, you will all be staying at Loren’s ranch.”

Feeling trapped and more than a little put out Joel realised he may as well accept the inevitable. “Who will see to my patients, in my absence” was his first question.
Clive, now that he had his own way, was prepared to be magnanimous.

“Don’t worry, we will reschedule your appointments where we can and David has agreed to see any urgent cases in your absence. It is expected your participation will be about a week but why not take the opportunity to have a break and tour the area. Loren would like everyone to be there by the weekend so you have four days to get organised and your flight is 7am Saturday morning.”

“Pretty sure of yourself weren’t you” Joel grumbled. “I still can’t see why they want me surely David could have gone.”
“Sorry Pal but this time you drew the short straw. Your specialty is plastic & reconstructive surgery on adolescents and as the proposed centre is catering to this age group your expertise is what they are looking for.”
As Clive viewed the scowling face of his younger colleague he had to wonder if there was any hope Joel would ever reconcile himself to this trip.

Joel spent the next few days reorganising his schedule and reassuring his young patients that he would be back before they knew it. He had scoffed at the idea of taking a longer break and intended to be back at his rounds by Monday week.
He could not remember ever wanting to be anything but a plastic surgeon. Determined to be as good a surgeon as his father he had been obsessed with getting the best grades. An exemplary student Joel had graduated with honours. He was now regarded as one of the most dedicated and talented surgeons of the decade and continued to study new techniques to improve the recovery rate of his patients.

Joel was so preoccupied with his life work he failed to comprehend why his wife had no interest in it at all except as a means to meet important people and be seen on the social pages of all the women’s magazines. This may not have been the most worthy of aims and his wife was certainly frustrated by Joel’s total refusal to attend any social gathering not directly related to raising funds for the hospital.

The impasse continued for some time, with his wife still believing she could turn him into suitable husband material. Unfortunately Joel did not even realise there was a problem and was somewhat dismayed to come home one evening, late as was his custom, to find the house emptied of everything with any value.
A week later he received a letter from his, soon to be ex, wife’s solicitor and began to realise the furniture was not all she wanted.

This encounter with matrimony had left Joel disillusioned and resentful. He had great respect for all women involved in the medical profession and could communicate easily when the subject was medicine. In any other environment he was taciturn and abrupt and had decided, following his brief sojourn, that marriage was for fools. Watching as some of his colleague’s marriages collapsed only strengthened his resolve.

Self contained no one ever saw the heartache he felt when one of his patients died. He was tactful with parents and family explaining operations in laymen’s terms so they could understand what was happening and be prepared for the worst.

To most people he appeared a boring and intensely driven man and few people got a chance to appreciate his wicked sense of humour or see the gentle side to his nature.
Nurses, who would come upon him, in the middle of the night, cradling a small child crying from the pain of his injuries, could never reconcile this man with the brisk unemotional Doctor striding the corridors during the day.

Joel’s sisters adored him and his boisterous nieces and nephews threw themselves at him with great enthusiasm whenever he could drag himself away from the hospital long enough to say hello. His father, now a widower, was intensely proud of his brilliant son but worried about his chosen lifestyle. He had learnt to love everything in his life and wanted his son to enjoy a full rewarding life as well. However endless discussions had gone nowhere and he found himself standing helplessly by as his son buried himself deeper in his work.

With no way that he could see to avoid it Joel arrived at the airport Saturday morning and looked about for the plane.
He was somewhat surprised to see the size of the commercial aircraft that was to fly him to his assignment. He figured with the pilot there would barely be room for a passenger, let alone luggage.
On board he found, to his utter amazement, there were three other passengers. “Great day for a scenic flight, don’t you think” a guy in a bright Hawaiian shirt boomed. Joel did not think so at all. He could not see how the plane would get off the ground, let alone fly through the mountains to his destination.

“Would you like the seat by the window?” Joel thought this was a pretty stupid question. He had no desire to watch as the plane, overloaded for certain, plummeted to earth. “No you take it” he replied to the tiny Chinese woman who had made the offer.
Joel did not like flying. He liked his feet firmly on the ground. He liked predicability. Flying was to get you to your destination in the most efficient time span. It was not for enjoyment. Preferably it was in an aircraft larger than a model aeroplane.
“Make sure your seat belt is nice and snug” the pilot called out from the cockpit. Another stupid comment thought Joel as he damn near asphyxiated himself getting the seatbelt as tight as possible.

“How about we introduce ourselves” suggested the guy in the Hawaiian shirt that was hurting Joel’s eyes every time he looked at it.

All Joel wanted to do was close his eyes and reopen them when & if they landed again but obviously his fellow passengers were not as convinced as he was the flight would end in disaster.
“I’m Clint Jones” announced the shirt guy. “My name is Ming Ya” the Chinese woman said softly. “I am Dr Peter Hill, an orthodontist” the pompous looking man, sitting next to Clint stated. “Hello everyone I’m Joel Wisdom” he managed to get out through clenched teeth.

“Say if you’re an Orthodontist you are probably going to the same place as me” said Clint. “I don’t think so” Dr Hill sniffed, “I am one of an exclusive party attending a seminar at the ranch of the famous model Loren.”
“Yep that’s where I am headed too”, I am a paediatrician”. “I am an acupuncturist” Ming Ya quietly stated, “and I have been working with teenagers to try and relieve menstrual pain and other problems associated with adolescence. Loren has invited me as well.”

As they all turned expectantly to Joel he muttered “I am a plastic surgeon and also going to the ranch.”
“You’re THAT Dr Wisdom” Dr Hill said, obviously a bit put out he was not the most important person on the trip.
“No I’m his son” Joel responded quietly.

“Well I can’t wait” whooped Clint. “A week on a fabulous ranch, with one of the world’s most beautiful woman, what more could a man want?”

“I, for one, would prefer to be back with my patients, doing something useful, rather than gallivanting about on some hair brained scheme” snapped Joel.

“Hang on a minute that’s a bit harsh. From what I hear Loren has achieved some remarkable results on a small scale and she is looking to expand the operation. If we can improve the lot of disadvantaged adolescents & teenagers I am willing to lend a hand.” Clint looked flamboyant but he had a genuine love of his young charges and did not appreciate Joel’s tone.
“I have worked with Loren recently, when she needed help with a young girl. I found her to be practical and supportive” Ming Ya added.

“Refusing to be intimidated Joel responded immediately “How can we expect a woman who makes a living out of looking beautiful, but with no real talents, to be taken seriously? We will all end up looking foolish.”
“Where have you been for the last five years buddy?” Clint responded and was about to launch into an argument when Ming Ya winked at him and shook her head.

“Judging a book by the cover is a sure way to miss some good stories” was all she said.
Good god how bloody trite, thought Joel, is everyone so enamoured with her looks they have lost touch with the cold reality?

“I say wait til we get there and see what she has in mind” Dr Hill suggested.

Feeling somewhat chastised Joel lay back in his seat. To his surprise they were already airborne. He had been sidetracked by the conversation and had not noticed the takeoff. Maybe we will make it after all he thought.
Despite his misgivings the flight went smoothly. The other three kept up a lively conversation that he found entertaining but did not feel pressured to join.

The view as they flew over the mountains almost took his breath away and he momentarily regretted not taking the time to have a look around. Joel loved horses and went riding whenever he could find the time. His one true indulgence was a magnificent purebred Andalusian Stallion that he paid an enthusiastic young neighbour a small fortune to look after for him. He could see some amazing bridle trails below. It would have been nice to explore some of them. Never one to admit easily that he may have made a hasty decision Joel consoled himself with the thought of his housekeeper on the warpath had she been left with his menagerie for longer than a week.

Before long they were safely on the ground and taxiing to the small terminal on the edge of the aerodrome. Passing a silent prayer of thanks Joel unfurled his 6’3” frame from the plane seat and made his way down the steps.
© Copyright 2006 trudi (UN: trudiallan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
trudi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/452929-Chapters-One--Two