*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/453791-Au-Revoir-Again
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#453791 added September 10, 2006 at 9:28am
Restrictions: None
Au Revoir Again
I think this weekend has been one of the most emotionally draining I can ever remember. Now I have to adjust to life without my son around and find ways to cope with these very surreal feelings. I'm hoping once I board that plane later today it will, if only temporarily, take some of the edge off the rawness.

Paul phoned this morning from his Hong Kong hotel to let us know they've landed in one piece. I think they've already had a bit of a culture shock and seem surprised that people stare at them wherever they go. No shock to me; my son is six-foot-five and Mark, his travelling companion about five-foot-six. Laurel and Hardy springs to mind in more ways than one; I'm sure they'll stand out in a crowd and be noticed wherever they go. They have one more night in the hotel before backpacking.

For all I complain about phones and mobiles, in this instance I'm very grateful for them. Technology will help us keep in touch in a way past generations could never have even contemplated. I can only imagine the feelings of mothers who have watched their sons go off to wars in the past, never knowing where they will be or even if they would see them again. It makes me shudder and by comparison, puts things into perspective.

Paul is keeping a 'travel log' on the internet which will be a huge comfort to his family and friends. If any of you would like the link so you can read of his travels I'll be happy to provide it. So just e-mail me here and I'll sort it out when I return. I'm sure he'd appreciate it if some of you dropped by and introduced yourselves; you have to join the site to comment, but it only takes a couple of minutes and is free.

I still believe those ear candles helped clear my passages but my nose still feels very congested and I haven't tasted a thing in four days now. Could be to my advantage if the Portuguese cuisine is not to my liking. If it wasn't a Sunday when shops are closed, I might have nipped back to the Beauty Salon to see if anyone's invented nose candles yet. lol Oh well, I hope the sunshine and sea air will help clear it up.

I also walked into the greenhouse door this morning and cracked my knee, so that was a good start to the day. The only consolation is the injury should co-ordinate well with my black and blue beachwear.

Time for the last minute packing now - it seems you need a degree at the moment to work out what is allowed in the hold and the cabin. So, I'll say goodbye for now and hope you'll all have a safe and happy week. I'll try to post a little entry from Portugal if I can. You don't get rid of me that easily. *Wink*

© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/453791-Au-Revoir-Again