*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/455191-Grab-back-of-thoughts-Watch-your-fingers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#455191 added September 16, 2006 at 12:16pm
Restrictions: None
Grab back of thoughts. Watch your fingers!
Have you ever come up with a title for something and think, "Oooh, that's perfect!"

But then you write the story, article, blog entry, whatever, and you find it doesn't quite fit.

That happened to me with yesterday's entry titled "Weakness = Strength: A Paradox of Growth." While the entry itself is fine, the title seems off. Yet I love the title!

I'll use the title on something else, though I'm not sure what yet. I'm certain my scriptural focus will be 2 Corinthians 12:8-10, but that's it.

===========================================================

Busy weekend again! I have to finish up my lesson plan for the online AutoCAD course I signed up to do. It begins October 9th, but I need to have at least the first of three segments in two weeks prior to the opening of the class. That isn't until September 25, but I would like to have the first segment done by Sunday, that way I'll have a week to comb through it for mistakes, ommissions, confusions, et al.

Tonight, Dave and I are going to his great Aunt Ellen's 96th birthday party. She's Grandma Wood's sister-in-law, and they have been best friends for the last thirty years. She took Grandma's death harder than most. Just seeing her at the funeral and wake made me weep.

She's another one of those sweet ladies you want to adopt as your grandmother. Aunt Ellen has a most generous heart, told Dave a dirty joke . . .

Oh, would you like to hear it? She told this to Dave probably about 10-15 years ago. Let's see if I remember it . . .

A young girl goes to her mom and says, "Mom, I'm pregnant."

The mom asked, "What? How'd that happen?"

"I don't know. My head was stuck underneath the steering wheel."


Aunt Ellen giggled and said, "Can you believe an old lady told me that joke?" One of her friend's, probably about 5-6 years older told it to her.

Dave laughed and said, "Really? An old lady told me that joke, too!"

Overall, she's still healthy with the exception of having to use a walker and close to being deaf. Her mind is quite sharp (as the above can attest), and she still drives. Though I've never ridden with her, from what every one says, she's still an excellent driver.

===========================================================

I receive monthly newsletters from a slew of companies, one being Day-Timers. In case you don't know, they sell organizers, journals, etc. I enjoy their newsletters, because they don't just try to sell you something, but give great advice on how to be better organized (I know, DUH!), among other things.

I enjoyed this month's enough to share it with you:

The Importance of a Written Note…
and When Is It Appropriate?

In today’s world, most people receive more e-mails, text messages, and instant messages in one day than written letters in an entire month. Quick, computerized communication that lacks personality is much more likely in 2006 than an old-fashioned, handwritten letter. After all, that seems “so 1970.” But people are missing the importance of thoughtful, handwritten letters by replacing them with quick, fired-off e-mails and other messages which require less thought, time, and personalization!

When should you forget your mouse and grab a pen instead? Whenever you encounter a situation that requires a thank you, whether it’s a birthday gift from your grandmother… flowers your coworkers sent when you broke your leg… or an effort to show gratitude for someone who interviewed you for a job… send a handwritten note! Also, if you want to leave a piece of yourself for the next generation or your loved ones, hand write a note. Your memory will be forever cherished by a beautifully handwritten note (whether or not you have great penmanship) rather than an impersonal-looking e-mail that your children have to print off the family PC!

5 Differences of Paper vs. E-mail Correspondence

1. Sending a handwritten letter to your significant other is something special and personal. It’s much different than an e-mail that has to get in line with hundreds of other computer-generated messages.

2. While e-mail is nearly instantaneous, a handwritten letter or card takes time to prepare and write. You can add your own doodles, like hearts or smiley faces. And there’s nothing finer than signing your own name to a note… as opposed to simply typing it on your computer screen.

3. If you’re looking for a way to truly stand out in the crowd, reach for a paper and pen. Chances are, the person you’re corresponding with receives dozens of e-mails daily. Your letter is probably the only one with postage that he or she will receive today!

4. Handwritten letters come in envelopes that are exciting to open, while most e-mails today are spam, with many containing viruses, or spyware.

5. Written messages can be saved in a beautiful box or a large decorated envelope and read over and over again. Future generations can read and enjoy these letters, too.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/455191-Grab-back-of-thoughts-Watch-your-fingers