*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/457105-Prologue-for-The-Gems-Secrets
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1160965
My first try at a trilogy
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#457105 added September 25, 2006 at 2:10am
Restrictions: None
Prologue for The Gem's Secrets
Prologue


Careen was a young princess when she discovered she was pregnant. She knew her father, King Gordal would never believe she had broken the order of the family, so she ran away.

With only a few belongings, she came to a village that was long forgotten by her fathers Kingdom. She would have to start a new life if her baby was going to survive. But it would not be easy. Her father had sent out trackers, believing her to be kidnapped. Searching for weeks before discovering the village.

The people there stood their ground as long as they could, but before the end, the Village Elder, Lucian gave her a token. It had been foretold that for as long as you bore this token, you would be safe from harm.

As Careen was removed from the village, she watched through tear filled eyes as the village was engulfed in flame.

Being reunited with her father was not a joyous occasion for Careen. Unbeknown to her, he had found out her secret and planned to use it to his advantage.

The time came for Careens betrothal to Prince Malakai, whose father’s land bordered that of King Gordal’s. Careen knew her belly was beginning to grow and becoming more and more difficult to hide. Enray, Careen’s private maid, did all she could to help hide it behind loose garments.

As Careen drew nearer to her future husband, she heard the whispers, ‘The King’s only daughter is marrying for convenience,’ and ‘The stable boy got her pregnant, that’s why the King is marrying her off,’ and just to rub salt into Careen’s wounds, a bitter voice remarked, ‘Have you heard it is the King’s child she bears?’ This last piece of gossip hurt Careen immensely. She had heard it several times and it wouldn’t be the last time unless she confronted her father with the truth – the only way she knew how.

After the ceremony, King Gordal held a party in the magnificent hall in his castle, which was known as Bluesprey. The Castle was built on an island, almost in the dead centre of the kingdom. It was protected by a river which wound itself around the castle limits and through parts of the land. At dusk, the river would reflect immense blue colors over the walls, thus giving its name.

Careen went looking for her father and was told he was in his throne room, speaking with Prince Malakai and the Prince’s father King Broeden. She walked down a corridor, going over in her mind what she would say, then haltered once she saw the door was open. She stood poised as she heard the voices from within.

“I do not know what your game is, King, but I am not in the habit of saving damsels in distress.” It was Prince Malakai’s voice.
“It’s no game, Malakai. And in future I would tread softly with what you speak.” Her father said coldly.
“She is carrying a bastard and you know it!” The Prince cried out. “Such would be my heir and sit at the helm of both kingdoms. I would embrace this heir and give him my name without question?” He implored.
Careen bravely stepped into the doorway and faced her fate, whatever it be.
© Copyright 2006 Caitlin Steele (UN: trudyc77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Caitlin Steele has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/457105-Prologue-for-The-Gems-Secrets