*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458514-Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Emotional · #1163423
What if there was one fear? Would fear be concentrated, tearing apart from the inside?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#458514 added October 1, 2006 at 6:56pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1
There was nothing Amy hated more then cowerdence. It made her sick. The crying child she was holding was obviously afraid of the dark. A dark veil of pity washed over her. Children were meant to be afraid.
"Shhhhh, its going to be okay Sarah." Amy wispered to the wimpering girl. Amy pressed her tighter into her warm jacket and kept running. They were almost home. Streets passed in a quick flash and pretty soon they stopped in front of a small quaint looking house. Amy slipped past the front gate, hardly making a sound. She walked up the front steps as the kid stopped crying entirely. The knob on the door twisted and they entered into a warm room that smelled like honey. A young woman was in the kitchen two rooms down, Amy could hear her humming to herself.
"Were home Emily." Amy walked into the kitchen and stood by the counter. She dropped her onto the little island in the middle of the kitchen, and looked at the 18 year old woman across the aisle. She had long, crimped blonde hair and her sparkling blue eyes shimmered with naive looking joy.
"You got home safely! I was starting to worry that it was getting too dark and I would have to come out too!"
"Oh that would be terrible. You'd get lost once you got past the fence. Promise me you'll never do that."
"Can I have a bandaid?" The little voice chirrped and the two women suddenly remember the five year old sitting on the counter.
"Is something bleeding?" Emily asked
"No. I want one though." Amy smiled and decided to leave this one up to Emily. She walked down the hall and into a average sized room. It had almost no decoration. The dresser was covered by only a cloth and a empty picture frame. The closet stood closed and the white bed spead looked almost too clean.
Amy walked over to the bed and threw her black coat onto the bed, making an errie contrast. She walked back out and went to the room across the hall. There were two more little girls and a boy sitting and playing with little toys. The girls looked to be about 9 and the boy was about 10.
"Amy!" The little girls shouted. "You're home. Will you play?"
"sorry I can't right now. I better go see what Rena is doing. You know her. She can't be alone for too long." With that Amy closed the door. There was only one more room in the hall and she walked up too it, and pressed her ear against it. She could hear muffled voices on the inside. A tv was playing. She slipped inside, purposly makeing enough noise to alert the woman sitting on the bed. The solid brown eyes turned to look at her. Her black hair was tyed up in a boring bun.
"Hey, Whats up Rena?"
"You certianly took long enough getting home Amy."
"Sorry. But you know if you don't like it you can just keep us locked up all the time. I dont' think anyone will mind."
"Besides you."
"I'll do whatever you tell me to do Rena." The glare she got from Rena showed that she should cut with the sarcasm.
The door opened behind them and Emily walked in. She looked from one to the other, and then totally unaware of her disruption, she ran and jumped on the bed, scattering the papers that Rena was working on.
"What are you doing! Stop now!" Rena's angry tone obvioulsy scared Emily, and she stood up by the bed looking guilty.
"What were all the papers for Rena?" Amy asked.
"They are our new commuting routes. If I did them right we shouldn't have to go by any of the more dangerous places on our way to and from work."
"Fine, but don't make me one. You're so paranoid. Isn't it annoying to be scared of everything?"
"You never understand. This city is dangerous. There are things to be afraid of. Why aren't you more cautious?"
"I don't feel the need to be cautious. What is that bad?"
"Only to every sane person on the planet."
Amy's eyes darkened suddenly, and she strode through the door, slamming it behind her. Emily began to speak.
"You should know not to say that Rena. Amy isn't afraid of anything. And you know that. But you should never call her insane. Shes not the person we knew before. Ever since she came back shes been different. Sometimes I worry about her, and I wonder what could have happened to her to make her like this?"

© Copyright 2006 Enigmaticcrux (UN: enigmaticcrux at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Enigmaticcrux has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458514-Chapter-1