*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461799-Chapter-63
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #1167223
A Navy SEAL, crippled by wounds, is given a chance to be whole again … but at what price?
#461799 added October 15, 2006 at 12:19am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 63
CHAPTER 63

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2005
1400 PST


“Well, I guess I have a lot of explaining to do,” Brandi said. She looked at Admiral Hammerstein and then Susan, who sat with her and Melissa in the briefing room.

“Let me start by saying that deception is part of who I am,” she said. “However, it was very hard to deceive the people I love.”

“We understand why you had to be secretive,” Admiral Hammerstein said. “You did exactly the right thing.”

“I think I have a pretty good idea of how you accomplished everything,” Susan told her. “I’m just curious as to when you and Melissa switched places.”

Brandi looked at Melissa lovingly, happy that she once more looked like the woman she had fallen in love with. Being intimate with her identical twin had been both exciting and very creepy.

“Well, Melissa was transformed Friday night,” Brandi explained. “I posed as her off and on throughout the weekend. For instance, Saturday morning I got up early and went over to discuss the op with the guys. Later that morning, it was Melissa in the pool flirting with them and me posing as Melissa.”

“I never had a clue,” Susan said. “So all those naps you two took ….”

“We weren’t doing what you thought, Mom,” Brandi giggled. “I really was sleeping, to rest in between my performances.”

“Matt and the SEALs didn’t even know until after the two of you were gone,” Melissa said. “I think he was a little annoyed.”

Brandi sighed. “Matt’s a great guy but I think he keeps trying to put me into a mold I just don’t fit anymore.”

“He hasn’t had much time around you,” Admiral Hammerstein said. “You were his superior officer and mentor; I’m sure he’s still adjusting.”

“Boy, could I give him a lecture on adjusting.” Brandi grinned.

“Speaking of adjusting,” Susan said. “Melissa, can you tell me what it was like to be Brandi? We have a unique opportunity; Brandi has no point of reference other than her past as Brandon to compare to, but you do.”

Melissa gripped Brandi’s hand tight, her eyes moist as she gathered her thoughts.

“I do understand Brandi, and I respect her so much more,” Melissa said. “I’ll try to put this as delicately as possible; I know that right now, at this very moment, Brandi feels like I do when I am significantly aroused. Of course, I didn’t have the mental programming that she has, but just the elevated libido was extremely distracting, and I imagine it was not even fully developed in me yet; I don’t know how she can function day to day. I’m glad to be back to normal.”

Brandi looked at Susan and then Melissa and finally down at the table before she said, “Melissa you’re not exactly like you were before.”

“What do you mean?” Melissa asked.

Susan stepped in when words failed Brandi. “The data Brandi had recorded for your DNA was incomplete; she only gathers data relating to physical appearance. That part of your DNA is exactly as it was before, but the rest matches Brandi. I compared your DNA profiles, minus Brandi’s extra helix of course, and you two are genetically like sisters.”

“But I don’t feel the way I did as Brandi’s twin anymore,” Melissa said. “I’m not horny all the time.”

“I fixed it as best I could,” Brandi said. “While I was linked to the machine, I described you to it; your musical talent, your sexual preference … everything I have seen since we met, I downloaded into it so it could reconstruct your matrix. I just don’t know ….”

“Love, I think you did fine,” Melissa said. “I feel just like me.”

“There is still a lot of Brandi’s DNA in you,” Susan said. “Most notably the warrior genes and her Forerunner genetic heritage. I suspect that the GMU is incapable of altering any of that by design.”

“Melissa, I’m sorry; I tried,” Brandi said.

“Brandi, if you start crying, I am going to punch you,” Melissa grinned. “We talked about this beforehand, remember. I don’t have a single regret.”

“What about the pool?’ Brandi said, a sly grin spreading across her face. “You were having nothing but fun with the boys.”

“I can’t deny that, and it was definitely different,” Melissa said. “I mean, before I accepted my sexuality I dated guys and even had a good time with a few. I’m not a virgin in any sense of the word. But for the first time, I experienced more than just appreciation for a handsome guy; I felt desire for one … well, several actually.”

A sour look crossed Brandi’s pretty face and her mouth formed into a pout. Melissa looked concerned and put her arm around her shoulders.

“You weren’t jealous were you, sweetie?”

“Well … yes,” Brandi said. “I’m just not sure if I was jealous because you were flirting with them, they were flirting with you, or because I wasn’t the one doing the flirting.”

That brought a thunderous laugh from Admiral Hammerstein, and Melissa and Susan quickly joined in. Brandi looked at each of them and tried to look annoyed, but she couldn’t hold it. She began giggling along with the rest.

“It is possible you will find both genders attractive, as Brandi does,” Susan said once the laughter subsided. “There are many studies that suggest at least a partial link between genetics and sexual preference. However, I don’t think you need to worry about it affecting your relationship.”

“I know who I love,” Melissa said, smiling at Brandi.

Susan turned to Brandi and said, “You told us you understood everything about the bonding. What exactly did you mean?”

“The primary purpose of the bonding was as you told me,” Brandi said. “The Forerunners themselves had a natural lifespan of around three hundred years, but they had no idea if there was any limit to a Genomorph’s natural lifespan; none ever died of natural causes or even showed the slightest sign of aging. That would be a very lonely existence, so they provided a way for them to choose a mate who would have a lifespan equal to theirs. The empathic link was meant to provide a true bond; the pair would always know what the other felt; they would quite literally know their mate like themselves.

“It proved to be more useful than they had anticipated. With practice, Melissa and I will be able to learn to actually communicate through the link. It’s not telepathy like we think of it from science fiction; it’s more like a data link between computers. It’s also not always active like the empathic link, and we can only get whatever data the other sends; we can’t invade each other’s private thoughts.”

“That would be a powerful tool for a covert operative though,” Admiral Hammerstein said, “a way to keep in contact that couldn’t be traced.”

“Exactly,” Brandi agreed. “And it’s not limited by distance. If I were on a mission and downloaded data from a computer, I could send that data to Melissa. The only problem we have is that Melissa needs a special device to download the data into; her brain isn’t like mine, and she can’t establish a connection with any computer like I can. If we can locate one of those devices – it’s basically like that hand scanner you found, Mom – then we could make use of that function.”

“Could you still send data to Melissa if necessary?” the Admiral asked. “And if so, could she relay what was in that data?”

Brandi shook her head. “That would be too dangerous. Melissa would be able to understand or at least repeat the data, but, like I said her brain is not like mine; it doesn’t have the capacity to store large amounts of data. If it was too much, she could suffer serious brain damage. The standard procedure was for the bond mate to link to the device and act as a conduit; the data was just passed through to it.”

“It’s very possible one or more of those devices are in the vault,” Susan said.

“I was never allowed to see the vault, so I wasn’t sure how much is in there,” Brandi said.

“The computer didn’t have a list?” Susan asked.

“Only a partial one,” Brandi said. “I get the impression this place was set up in a hurry. It knew about the biomorphic armor, and it listed something that is capable of shaping the remaining cubes of that into other items. I can only bond with one set, but it’s possible to fashion the rest into additional armor pieces; it could even make a complete suit like mine for Melissa, but she won’t be able to bond with it. It would still augment her healing and repair itself though.”

“What about that message the computer displayed?” Susan asked. “It said the GMU had fulfilled its purpose in creating you.”

Brandi nodded. “I told you I believed I was planned, or at least foreseen. The damn machine wouldn’t give me any details though; apparently, I’m not ready to know the whole story.”

“That leaves a lot of questions,” Susan said. “It called you Genomorph Alpha; since it is translating into English, that would imply you are the first Genomorph, but I don’t see how that can be.”

“We’ll have to wait and see,” Brandi said. “I know there is more I need to learn; I have this very strong sense that there is still something important I have to do.”

Brandi turned to Admiral Hammerstein and asked, “What about the bastard behind all this?”

“As I’m sure you suspect, the Man is not likely to face any charges,” Hammerstein said. “Even with all the evidence we secured, he managed to cover himself. Mercer and Mitchell are both heavily implicated, but they have both vanished.”

“We know where Mitchell is,” Susan said, watching as a cloud crossed Brandi’s features. It passed quickly, but she knew that Brandi still had issues that she needed to resolve.

“Evan Mitchell will not be a threat again,” Susan continued, and quickly explained what she and Barbara had done.

“That’s poetic justice,” Hammerstein said.

“Are you OK, love?” Melissa asked.

Brandi shook her head, knowing it was pointless to deny her feelings.

“No, and I don’t think I will be for a long time,” she said. “I understand why Mom did what she did, but a part of me still feels cheated. However, I promise she is in no danger from me; I can’t very well hurt a fifteen-year-old girl.”

“Mercer could still cause problems,” Susan said, hoping that she and Brandi could get past this. There was a tension between them that had not been there before, and she wanted to beg Brandi to forgive her, but she knew she had to give her time.

“He could, but the real danger is his boss,” Brandi said. “Admiral, what if I told you there is video evidence – recordings of meetings where he clearly implicates himself in the plot?”

“I can’t believe he would allow such recordings to be made,” the Admiral said.

Brandi looked around the room and smiled. “He didn’t. They were made by the Forerunner computer. It has capabilities that no one even suspected. It has sensors that have observed and recorded everything that has happened within this place since it was reactivated. I saw some of them while I was linked to it.”

Admiral Hammerstein was silent as he considered what Brandi had told them. No matter what evidence was presented, it was unlikely that there would be an arrest or trial; the incident was simply too volatile, and steps were already being taken to cover up the fact that there had been an attempted coup.

“Brandi, you know that this will never go to court,” Hammerstein said carefully.

“I’m not trying to build a case,” Brandi said. “I will do what has to be done; I just want to know if I have support.”

“Can you get me some of these videos?” Hammerstein said. “I can present them to the President. Ultimately, that kind of decision is his.”

Brandi nodded. “I can have them transferred to disk easily; the Forerunner computer is still linked to the lab systems.”

“I can get them to the President as soon as we get to Washington,” Hammerstein said.

“We’re going to Washington?” Brandi asked.

“Oh yes, I forgot to mention it,” Hammerstein said, a big grin on his face. “You ladies have been invited to dinner.”


© Copyright 2006 Scott Ramsey (UN: scottramsey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scott Ramsey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461799-Chapter-63