*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/472586-All-those-Royal-Nannies
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #1185418
To have loved and been loved so much that hope carries beyond the breakup
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#472586 added December 2, 2006 at 12:42pm
Restrictions: None
All those Royal Nannies

All those royal nannies


She was standing on the dock knowing she had to put her past behind her and create a new dream for the future. As for the present, all she wanted was to stay alive through the ordeal.

The clouds were dark and heavy with the rain they held for a threat. She knew then that she wouldn't miss the misty air that hung around her. "Phyllis! The boat is coming in, we have to go now."

She closed her hazel eyes and her eyelashes caught a drop of rain, her chin came down onto her chest. "Temporary!" That's what her father had said "Just until the danger has past."

"Phyllis, we have to go now!"

That was her sister, Matilda. Always the worrier and of course, always the one on time. She opened her eyes and looked to the horizon, where sky and sea met, where the earth seemed to end. Turning slowly towards her sister, Phyllis looked at her sister with those soft daunting eyes.

"I was just thinking, father and mother both said we were only leaving a little while. Just until the danger has past, right Tillie." Phyllis had never called Matilda by her name but always by her loving affectionate nickname Tillie.

"Yes, of course that's what they said. Phyllis, what does that have to do with you moving your tush faster to that boat?"

Phyllis looked around again. It was a big boat, dark and cold. The only light thing about it was the dream it held within it. "Well, Tillie, I don't know why but I get the feeling this is the last time I set eyes on Wales."

She felt her heart swell as the words slipped off her tongue. Her beautiful and intelligent eyes watered and set free a tear that ran a trail down her cheek. Tillie caught her arm slowly and gently nodding her towards the line-up to the boat. "Why say such a thing Phyllis, this is home and we will be back when the war is over."

Arm in arm the Thomas sisters walked with the crowd. Some people running, others hug on goodbyes. Lovers are separating but mostly and too many, children crying and wailing as their parents abandon them to safety.

"It's only temporary." Three words that she was already growing to hate. She could here those three words from the mouths of all these people. Fear darkened the people's faces, anxiety weighed down the shoulders and the heads. Phyllis walked and held on to her memories as her hopes were fading in the intensity of all these emotions.

She had always been the most sensitive and the most frivolous. Tillie had always been the logical and in control sister. She had always looked out for Phyllis. But this time seemed different because although she appeared to have a handle on things, her eyes betrayed the extreme distress she felt.


Victoria
http://www.writing.Com/authors/vickychartrand

© Copyright 2006 Victoria (UN: vickychartrand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Victoria has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/472586-All-those-Royal-Nannies